The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The future of Troy Stecher

Rate this topic

Hindustan Smyl

18 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Wasn’t aware that adding 20-25 points a season from the blueline wasn’t “contributing like he needs to to stay in the NHL”.

Shiny new toy syndrome in full effect here.

If Quinn Hughes only has 25 points on this team this year I will eat my hat. Seeing as Quinn will produce at a much better pace than Stecher it now comes back to what can Troy bring to the team that Myers, Edler, Benn. Hughes. Tanev cannot. He is a 5-6-7 d man on this team. He doesnt do enough to make over 4 million per. Tryamkin and Woo and Juloevi may have some effect on whether Troy is in a Canuck uniform past draft next season.

No new toy syndrome, new depth yes. Made Hutton expendable. May make Stecher expendable also.

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

If Quinn Hughes only has 25 points on this team this year I will eat my hat. Seeing as Quinn will produce at a much better pace than Stecher it now comes back to what can Troy bring to the team that Myers, Edler, Benn. Hughes. Tanev cannot. He is a 5-6-7 d man on this team. He doesnt do enough to make over 4 million per. Tryamkin and Woo and Juloevi may have some effect on whether Troy is in a Canuck uniform past draft next season.

No new toy syndrome, new depth yes. Made Hutton expendable. May make Stecher expendable also.

I see many CDCers overvalue our players and I have seen it many times. Hutton was the latest and the same went for Linden Vey, Eddie Lack, Weber, Gaunce the list goes on. The same for the Sedins when they were on their last legs and people were saying they were legends so let them keep playing even though many aspects of their game had declined significantly. Many look at the individuals when I would rather look at the team as a whole. No doubt we have favorites but the ultimate goal is for the TEAM to win a championship and EVERYTHING else is SECONDARY IMO.

Great team,character,local guy but you don't pay that player 4million dollars. He is a good 3rd pairing and should be paid as such to be able to contribute to this teams success.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Is that the Team Canada that only ices Non-playoff Canadian Hockey Players? :rolleyes:

Indeed.

So 96 defensemen were unavailable for the early Round Robin portion (16 teams x 6 d each - although half of these were available after the first SC round)

That left 102 from which to pick, (17 teams x 6 d) and say Troy was the 8th pick, that firmly puts him middle of the pack of 198 defensemen playing on 31 teams.

That's hardly a "fringe NHL'r" as Salacious Crumb contends.  That was my point

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Indeed.

So 96 defensemen were unavailable for the early Round Robin portion (16 teams x 6 d each - although half of these were available after the first SC round)

That left 102 from which to pick, (17 teams x 6 d) and say Troy was the 8th pick, that firmly puts him middle of the pack of 198 defensemen playing on 31 teams.

That's hardly a "fringe NHL'r" as Salacious Crumb contends.  That was my point

Isn't it VOLUNTARY as well? No doubt he is a good defenseman, as he currently plays in the NHL, which has the best players in the world. However, all players do not have the same skillsets and some have multiple talents. In the West, players tend to be bigger and hits are a little more frequent. Smaller players may do OK in tournaments and the regular season but the SC Playoffs is a whole different beast and I am not sure Stech would thrive in that type of environment.

Let's see how the Tanev situation plays out. We will probably let him play out his contract if we're in a playoff push. Troy's demand may force us to move him, we need a legit top 4, sorry Troy. With Tanev and Troy off the books, that gives us upwards of 6.7 mill to play with. Perhaps, Benning dips into UFA again. If the team shows big leaps next year, perhaps we could attract some talent.

4 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

Troy stretcher is a very solid NHL player but he had likely maxed out on his potential. I am not sure he is worth a 4 million price tag but definitely should keep him around for a Jordie Benn type deal 

What a longer term with a 2 mil cap hit? Maybe five times 2? 

That’s a lot of money for Troy

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What a longer term with a 2 mil cap hit? Maybe five times 2? 

That’s a lot of money for Troy

He's already getting + $2.3 and is still improving, so I think he gets $3-3.5m.  They may not want to protect him from the ED though, so maybe a 1yr 'show me' contract to make him a ufa, so he won't be taken by Seattle.

He's not a bad bottom 4 dman; especially if he is partnered with a guy like Benn.  I think Stech still has some offensive upside.  If JB decides to trade Tanev sometime this season, they will definitely keep Stech for at least another year.

I think Troy Stecher is a Canuck beyond this season unless two of the following three things happen.
1. We sign Barrie

2. Tryamkin returns

3. Woo shows huge improvement.

I love me some Stech and hope he plays out of his mind this season.

Contract? Maybe like Ferland 4x3.5M

Edited by zombieksa

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

He's already getting + $2.3 and is still improving, so I think he gets $3-3.5m.  They may not want to protect him from the ED though, so maybe a 1yr 'show me' contract to make him a ufa, so he won't be taken by Seattle.

He's not a bad bottom 4 dman; especially if he is partnered with a guy like Benn.  I think Stech still has some offensive upside.  If JB decides to trade Tanev sometime this season, they will definitely keep Stech for at least another year.

Still improving? I think he has plateaued and I think you get what you see. His first year I thought this guy might progress to something good. A couple of years later? I basically see the same guy as his first season.

I think that's why he received the 2.3 million because there was a potential for more. If your a small dman, then you need to produce otherwise you become a fringe player similar to Biega.

After the contract, you get 11 points and then 23 points the year after, which neither surpasses your rookie year points total of 24 points? He improved somewhat defensively but a small defenseman's bread and butter is still his point production and the ability to run the PP. I am not seeing that in Stech, unfortunately.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, zombieksa said:

I think Troy Stecher is a Canuck beyond this season unless two of the following three things happen.
1. We sign Barrie

2. Tryamkin returns

3. Woo shows huge improvement.

I love me some Stech and hope he plays out of his mind this season.

Contract? Maybe like Ferland 4x3.5M

What about Joulevi,Briseboise,Fantenberg or Sautner? Ol' Stech has a few guys kicking at his heels and good luck with the 4X3.5M for a small dman who doesn't play on the PP and produces around 20 points a season. He's a character guy who will stay with the team until he gets bumped by bigger, younger, stronger or more talented players.

On 7/22/2019 at 6:15 PM, Salacious Crumb said:

I like Tony Stretcher, don’t get me wrong but $4shmill a year is a massive overpayment. 

you do realize who the Owners are and management are right. !!! so ya Stetcher will get paid pretty good.. 

On 7/25/2019 at 9:23 PM, mikeyman109 said:

Stecher is a Swiss Army knife RD. Benn is old and can play both sides, he’s here 2 years max. OJ Is a LD, Try can play both sides. Woo will see AHL time before NHL 1-2 years and be a depth guy initially. 

Troy will stick around and be at worst our next Biega but better.

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev 

Benn Stecher 

In 2 years years, Edler and Benn will have aged out, 

Hughes Myers

Juolevi Tanev (if resigned although I think he’ll be traded if Tryamkin is signed in march)

Tryamkin Stecher 

Woo 

Edited by 18W-40C-6W

Stecher and Hutton had big career-defining seasons last year. Both were not high flashy picks, both worked their asses off to get into the lineup and both got given very similar opportunities. Hutton gradually got worse and worse, cracked under high pressure and could never defend against fast, big forwards. His offence dried up as well and he was a liability. Stecher got better and better, played fantastically alongside Edler, suddenly ended up being one of our top-4 and eventually top-2 guys when the rest of our team were injured and despite the increased responsibility, he defended well against Western teams top forwards, maintained a good +/- and still somehow racked up the occasional point with some good passing.

I hope he makes another leap this next season because he'll have a bit more competition with Hughes and Myers coming right into the system. I believe he will though, at the end of last season he was arguably on the same level if not better than Tanev...

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TheNewGM said:

4 mill is an over payment.. but i guess over paying players is the way of the new NHL.

There are plenty of $4 million dollar defensemen in the NHL that are not as consistently effective as Stecher.

That said, I'd hope to get him for less than that.