The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markstrom vs Bobrovsky

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

Markstrom vs Bobrovsky  

173 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was look at goalie stats of both these players, and in my opinion only 1 of 2 conclusion can be right. Bobrovsky's contract is either the worst in the league or Markstrom's is one of the best in the league and is worth 8 million plus when he hits UFA next season.

Bobrovsky                                                Markstrom

Save % 913                                             Save % 913

GAA  2.58                                                GAA   2.77

Wins 37                                                   Wins  28

loses 24                                                   Loses 23

OT loses 1                                              OT loses 9

GA  153                                                  GA   166

TOI 3556.40                                           TOI 3599.01

GP 62                                                     GP 60

SA 1756                                                 SA 1896

First, most would argue that CBJ  was a better team then Van and some could say that Bobrovsky was the deciding factor in CBJ making the playoffs. I would argue that CBJ made the playoffs despite Bobrovsky is the worst contract in the league and is only going to get worse. Or maybe Markstrom is better then anyone knows.

OT loses 1 to 9. If Markstrom had only 1 OT lose then his Goals against GA would be 166-8=158 that would mean Markstrom GA 158 to Bobrovsky 153 5 goal difference. Which means a much closer GAA.

These two are interesting comparables because their TOI stats are very similar however, Markstrom has 40 mins more played in 2 fewer games and facing 140 more shots per game then Bobrovsky in 2 fewer games well maintaining the same save %. What does this mean over all; first Markstrom was clearly more over worked and therefore, could be argued that he was much more tired as the game got closer to the end then was also forced to play more OT mins as the much more tired goalie. 2nd one could argue due to the more shots face the defence in front of Markstrom was clearly much weaker then that in front of Bobrovsky thus, facing harder and more challenging shots. 

So with a better defence in front of Markstrom, what kind of numbers could Markstrom post.

One further point, The Biggest difference between these 2 players is, Bobrovsky has post good seasons before, the last 3 years to be exact but on much better teams. Markstrom had his best season on the best team he has ever been on and it compared to Bobrovsky's season and that was on a very bad team. So next seasons team is suppose to be better, so it truly does beg the question if Markstrom has even a better season then last what is he worth. Is Markstrom then worth 8 million plus or does Bobrovsky have the worst contract in the league.

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dats hockey said:

Lmfao Bobrovsky Resume compared to Marky’s why he gets paid

I will answer back in a question, is Bobrovsky's resume actually impressive? IMO no not even close I would argue he is the product of his environment not a product of pure talent.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 6

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Guess that last one wasn't your last thread, eh?

There's a reason Bobrovsky is being paid $10M, even if it is overpayment. He has a history of success with two Vezinas to his name.

Unlike Markstrom, Bobrovsky actually finished the season very strong with a .930 save percentage from February onward.  He also had a .925 save percentage in the playoffs. Markstrom has yet to play a single playoff game in his career.

If we're focusing on last year alone (which I'd argue is extremely recency-biased), you could argue that they were close. Markstrom finished 10th in Vezina voting and Bobrovsky was 9th--however, as I've already stated, the recent trends to the end of last year point towards Bobrovsky being the far superior netminder.

If we're looking at history, it's not even close for reasons already stated.

I guess not this one just caught my eye well looking at the stats and I wanted to get your guys take on it. I really don't know how to call this one I'm really just going off of stats on this one.

4 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I will answer back in a question, is Bobrovsky's resume actually impressive? IMO no not even close I would argue he is the product of his environment not a product of pure talent.

Because Columbus is the haven for NHL success? With their amazing set of star defensemen featuring only Seth Jones? Bobrovsky has proven beyond a doubt to anyone but you and a few stragglers that he's the real deal.

I'm not saying that justifies his salary, but two Vezinas are no joke and it's not like he was playing on Pittsburgh or Washington to do it. Columbus has only recently begun to regularly make the playoffs. He won his first Vezina during a time when Columbus was a non-playoff team.

I will grant you that his save percentage is underwhelming for sure, but at this point, I'd reckon he deserves the benefit of a doubt. If he finishes the 2019-20 season, I will change my tune and agree with you much more.

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Guess that last one wasn't your last thread, eh?

There's a reason Bobrovsky is being paid $10M, even if it is overpayment. He has a history of success with two Vezinas to his name.

Unlike Markstrom, Bobrovsky actually finished the season very strong with a .930 save percentage from February onward.  He also had a .925 save percentage in the playoffs. Markstrom has yet to play a single playoff game in his career.

If we're focusing on last year alone (which I'd argue is extremely recency-biased), you could argue that they were close. Markstrom finished 10th in Vezina voting and Bobrovsky was 9th--however, as I've already stated, the recent trends to the end of last year point towards Bobrovsky being the far superior netminder.

If we're looking at history, it's not even close for reasons already stated.

so your argument is that Flo is paying not just for last years proformance but what he did while he was younger. I would argue his stats this year shows him trending down and fast and Markstrom trending up.

7 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

You ever think the team success is a product of how good he’s been? We all know how far a amazing goalie can take you. I’m not blaming him for their playoff wooahs 

1 minute ago, Arrow 1983 said:

so your argument is that Flo is paying not just for last years proformance but what he did while he was younger. I would argue his stats this year shows him trending down and fast and Markstrom trending up.

I would agree save for his hot finish to the season and the playoffs, where he was very good. Markstrom does appear to be trending upwards, but it was one season and history has shown that it's dangerous to bank on one good year for goaltenders (see Jim Carey and Jose Theodore).

5 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I would agree save for his hot finish to the season and the playoffs, where he was very good. Markstrom does appear to be trending upwards, but it was one season and history has shown that it's dangerous to bank on one good year for goaltenders (see Jim Carey and Jose Theodore).

I don't even believe Markstrom will be with the Canucks after next season, I believe he will sign else where between 6-7 million and that's after he has a better season then Bobrovsky does. My believe is JB will pick Demko over Markstrom due to age and price, and let Markstrom walk after our playoff run. The expansion draft dictates this.

Edited by Arrow 1983

2 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I don't even believe Markstrom will be with the Canucks after next season, I believe he will sign else where between 6-7 million and that's after he has a better season then Bobrovsky does. My believe is JB will pick Demko over Markstrom due to age and price, and let Markstrom walk after our playoff run. The expansion draft dictates this.

I think the play of both netminders will determine what Benning does, but I tend to agree that Demko will be chosen as our starter and there's a chance Markstrom is traded at the deadline as a rental. I don't think Markstrom will play good enough to merit that kind of money, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, 6string said:

Bobrovsky was amazing in the playoffs especially against Boston or they would have been blown out.

We can redo this next off season after Markstrom's first playoff experience....

But then that would be hindsight and I don't do that I look to the future with foresight and predict my hockey pool that way. You know what they say about hindsight you are going further behind those that are far ahead.

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

But then that would be hindsight and I don't do that I look to the future with foresight and predict my hockey pool that way. You know what they say about hindsight you are going further behind those that are far ahead.

173-0715100320-23298296.jpg.1a0012bafd69743d251e9ba4841a3b60.jpg

34 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Bobrovsky won his first Vezina with a defensive core of Johnson (who wasn’t the same player he was in LA), Tyutin, Nikitin, Wisniewski, Aucoin, and Erixon. Let’s see Markstrom post a save percentage over .910 with that defense.

Bob is vastly overrated and overpaid, but he’s been far consistent in his play than Markstrom has in their careers.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Bobrovsky won his first Vezina with a defensive core of Johnson (who wasn’t the same player he was in LA), Tyutin, Nikitin, Wisniewski, Aucoin, and Erixon. Let’s see Markstrom post a save percentage over .910 with that defense.

Bob is vastly overrated and overpaid, but he’s been far consistent in his play than Markstrom has in their careers.

I think you missed the point I'm talking todays value not past performance. his stats clearly show he is trending down at his age well Markstrom's is trending up 

we can compare the 2 goalie when markstrom have 2 vezina to his name.. not that many goalie ahve 1 let alone 2 lol even as great as luongo have been in some season he has 0 vezina.. last year was an avg season for bob.. and even his avg season he still ended up with 9 shutouts lol

3 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I think you missed the point I'm talking todays value not past performance. his stats clearly show he is trending down at his age well Markstrom's is trending up 

cleary show he's trending down? he was trending down from his first vezina season for the next 3 season then all of a sudden he trended way up and won the vezina again? so define clearly trending down?? so markstrom had 1 decent season and all of a sudden he's trending up and according to some is top 5 in the league?