The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markstrom vs Bobrovsky

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

Markstrom vs Bobrovsky  

173 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

we can compare the 2 goalie when markstrom have 2 vezina to his name.. not that many goalie ahve 1 let alone 2 lol even as great as luongo have been in some season he has 0 vezina.. last year was an avg season for bob.. and even his avg season he still ended up with 9 shutouts lol

Again not talking past performance I'm taking about value today and going forward. This is not 2017 I did not write this in 2017 or 2018. Im talking about value today, 

1 hour ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I was look at goalie stats of both these players, and in my opinion only 1 of 2 conclusion can be right. Bobrovsky's contract is either the worst in the league or Markstrom's is one of the best in the league and is worth 8 million plus when he hits UFA next season.

Bobrovsky                                                Markstrom

Save % 913                                             Save % 913

GAA  2.58                                                GAA   2.77

Wins 37                                                   Wins  28

loses 24                                                   Loses 23

OT loses 1                                              OT loses 9

GA  153                                                  GA   166

TOI 3556.40                                           TOI 3599.01

GP 62                                                     GP 60

SA 1756                                                 SA 1896

First, most would argue that CBJ  was a better team then Van and some could say that Bobrovsky was the deciding factor in CBJ making the playoffs. I would argue that CBJ made the playoffs despite Bobrovsky is the worst contract in the league and is only going to get worse. Or maybe Markstrom is better then anyone knows.

OT loses 1 to 9. If Markstrom had only 1 OT lose then his Goals against GA would be 166-8=158 that would mean Markstrom GA 158 to Bobrovsky 153 5 goal difference. Which means a much closer GAA.

These two are interesting comparables because their TOI stats are very similar however, Markstrom has 40 mins more played in 2 fewer games and facing 140 more shots per game then Bobrovsky in 2 fewer games well maintaining the same save %. What does this mean over all; first Markstrom was clearly more over worked and therefore, could be argued that he was much more tired as the game got closer to the end then was also forced to play more OT mins as the much more tired goalie. 2nd one could argue due to the more shots face the defence in front of Markstrom was clearly much weaker then that in front of Bobrovsky thus, facing harder and more challenging shots. 

So with a better defence in front of Markstrom, what kind of numbers could Markstrom post.

One further point, The Biggest difference between these 2 players is, Bobrovsky has post good seasons before, the last 3 years to be exact but on much better teams. Markstrom had his best season on the best team he has ever been on and it compared to Bobrovsky's season and that was on a very bad team. So next seasons team is suppose to be better, so it truly does beg the question if Markstrom has even a better season then last what is he worth. Is Markstrom then worth 8 million plus or does Bobrovsky have the worst contract in the league.

You conveniently left out Bobrovsky had 9 shutouts and Markstrom had 1. He had 4 Shutouts in March alone and was a big reason the Blue Jackets made the playoffs. Markstrom has barely even proven he is a starting goalie and Bobrovsky has won multiple Vezina trophies.

5 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I think you missed the point I'm talking todays value not past performance. his stats clearly show he is trending down at his age well Markstrom's is trending up 

Past performance dictates your worth.

His stats clearly shows he’s been consistent throughout his career. He’s been posting a save percentage over .910, 7 out of the 9 years he’s been in the league. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Again not talking past performance I'm taking about value today and going forward. This is not 2017 I did not write this in 2017 or 2018. Im talking about value today, 

so since when is a players value determined by a couple of months rather than couple of season stretch? because Markstrom had a great couple of months he now is worth as much as bob who's been good for years? so because pettersson had a rough couple of months to end the season.. he should worth not much right now right? like you are comparing a player stats that was good for 1 year vs a player's who last season dind't have the greatest stats but have been good for years..

cleary show he's trending down? he was trending down from his first vezina season for the next 3 season then all of a sudden he trended way up and won the vezina again? so define clearly trending down?? so markstrom had 1 decent season and all of a sudden he's trending up and according to some is top 5 in the league?

Trending in statistical terms is meant by finding a pattern so a pattern or combination is proven when you have 3 or more. SO when I say trending up or down I'm looking at the last 3 years. And there is a pattern in both of these players one is trending up one is trending down. I just have to remember not every one has taken statistics and I need to explain my self further. In the laws of statistics. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

so since when is a players value determined by a couple of months rather than couple of season stretch? because Markstrom had a great couple of months he now is worth as much as bob who's been good for years? so because pettersson had a rough couple of months to end the season.. he should worth not much right now right? like you are comparing a player stats that was good for 1 year vs a player's who last season dind't have the greatest stats but have been good for years..

A pattern or combination can actually not be found on Petterson cause I do not have 3 samples to compare for the NHL.

1 minute ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Trending in statistical terms is meant by finding a pattern so a pattern or combination is proven when you have 3 or more. SO when I say trending up or down I'm looking at the last 3 years. And there is a pattern in both of these players one is trending up one is trending down. I just have to remember not every one has taken statistics and I need to explain my self further. In the laws of statistics. 

looking at the last 3 years? so what part of Markstrom is trending up? his goals against is worse every year the last 3 years? and if you want to look at sv% he's below the league avg every single season lol.. i'm probably not far off saying he also has the fewest shutout of any goals with 200+ games in their career in the last 20 years.. and i don't think it's even close

4 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Past performance dictates your worth.

His stats clearly shows he’s been consistent throughout his career. He’s been posting a save percentage over .910, 7 out of the 9 years he’s been in the league. 

Do you think a .910 save % is good? Where do you think .910 save % puts you in this league?

16 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

looking at the last 3 years? so what part of Markstrom is trending up? his goals against is worse every year the last 3 years? and if you want to look at sv% he's below the league avg every single season lol.. i'm probably not far off saying he also has the fewest shutout of any goals with 200+ games in their career in the last 20 years.. and i don't think it's even close

The trending up for Markstrom is based on the ratio value of mins played to shots taken to previous years with same amount of games played. Markstrom faced more shots and played more mins this last year. Side note this actually corresponds with the Canucks having a worst year last year then the year before. Markstrom was the only real change and therefore the team had more pts this year then last. 

Edited by Arrow 1983

9 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Do you think a .910 save % is good? Where do you think .910 save % puts you in this league?

Considering he’s been averaging over 3000+ minutes, yes.

Do you think Marc-Andre Fleury is any good? Because Bob has almost identical numbers to him.

Edited by shiznak
  • Cheers 3

Just now, shiznak said:

Considering he’s been averaging over 3000+ minutes, yes.

Do you think Marc-Andre Fleury is any good? Because Bob has almost an identical numbers to him.

No Fleury is a terrible goalie and I fully expect Vegas to miss the playoffs this season.

• Wat 4

1 hour ago, Arrow 1983 said:

One further point, The Biggest difference between these 2 players is, Bobrovsky has post good seasons before, the last 3 years to be exact but on much better teams. Markstrom had his best season on the best team he has ever been on and it compared to Bobrovsky's season and that was on a very bad team. So next seasons team is suppose to be better, so it truly does beg the question if Markstrom has even a better season then last what is he worth. Is Markstrom then worth 8 million plus or does Bobrovsky have the worst contract in the league.

On a furthur point, the biggest difference between the two is one is Russian and the other is Swedish. ;) Hopefully Markstrom has a repeat performance like he had last season. 

Edited by AlwaysACanuckFan

4 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

The trending up for Markstrom is based on the ratio value of mins played to shots taken to previous years with same about of games played. Markstrom faced more shots and played more mins this last year. Side not this actually corresponds with the Canucks having a worst year last year then the year before. Markstrom was the only real change and therefore the team had more pts this year then last. 

pretty sure the team had more points was thx to pettersson tearing up the league in the first 4 months.. and absolutely nothing to do with markstrom coz he was trashed the first half of the season lol.. the canucks had 1 more win in the 2018-19 season after january 1st than they did in 2017-2018 after january 1st.. so he's hardly the reason why the canucks had more points.... all the extra points this year the canucks racked up before 2019 coincidently Pettersson was dominating the league.. so hmm i wonder... and markstrom was the only real change? like the calder winning rookie by the name of pettersson didn't exist?

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

Bob is overpaid but Markstrom is not anywhere near Bob's level. You realize Bob won a Vezina right? Twice. Markstrom had one half decent season to Bob's decent season and all of a sudden they are comparable? CBJ was pretty meh this season and it wasn't because of Bob. You try to discredit Bob's numbers cause of the team he plays on is laughable too. People on CDC speak of Torts as if he doesn't belong in the NHL. CBJ has largely been a joke of a franchise in it's entire existence. They been successful largely due to Bob. He's a perennial 30 win goalie, minus 2016/17 where he only started 37 games. Marky has never hit that mark in his life. Bob can steal you games, Marky at best keeps you in them.

Until Markstrom wins a Vezina or two he is not a 8+mil goalie and he and Bob are not very comparable. Like, at all. At the age of 25 Bob had won a Vezina and had back to back .920 save percentage seasons. At the age of 25 Markstrom was on the verge of being waived to Utica cause he was such a poor NHL goalie. Watch some Bobrovsky games instead of just comparing ONE season. Lol.

Edited by N7Nucks
  • Cheers 1

pretty sure the team had more points was thx to pettersson tearing up the league in the first 4 months.. and absolutely nothing to do with markstrom coz he was trashed the first half of the season lol.. the canucks had 1 more win in the 2018-19 season after january 1st than they did in 2017-2018 after january 1st.. so he's hardly the reason why the canucks had more points.... all the extra points this year the canucks racked up before 2019 coincidently Pettersson was dominating the league.. so hmm i wonder... and markstrom was the only real change? like the calder winning rookie by the name of pettersson didn't exist?

No, Markstrom was lights out last season. Pettersson was great but faded in the later part of the season. 

Markstrom had a lot to do with Vancouver’s improvement last season. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I love Petterson as a playmaker and goal score but he sucks on Defence actually the numbers show he was one of the worst forwards on the Canucks defensively 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

No, Markstrom was lights out last season. Pettersson was great but faded in the later part of the season. 

Markstrom had a lot to do with Vancouver’s improvement last season. 

lights out?? he was avg in october .911 

trash in november .887

insane in december .943

trash in janurary .900

excellent in feb .930

avg in march and april .908 

he was at the league's avg or below 4 of the 7 months of the season.. hardly lights out... the league avg was .911

10 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I love Petterson as a playmaker and goal score but he sucks on Defence actually the numbers show he was one of the worst forwards on the Canucks defensively 

do you actually watch the game or you just look at stats? Pettersson is no where near one of the worst forwards on the canucks defensively.. he actually hustles and backchecks literally every play.. meanwhile his linemates just floats around

• Thanks 1