The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Predators re-sign Colton Sissons

20 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Helluva lot of term, but you can't complain about the price.

They did something similar with Jarnkrok and he's been a consistent 30 point 3rd liner. Sissons doesn't seem far off and is paid more due to inflation really. These are the types of players I was hoping Markus Granlund would be.

Hmmm interesting....  these might be good bets to make if the cap keeps going up with the new TV deal in a couple of years.  Even if they flop, it seems like a low risk move. 

Wow. Colton was my favourite Rockets player when I was living in Kelowna 8 years ago. Glad to see him finding some NHL success — a seven-year contract?! Intriguing way to manage your roster, Poile-o. Probably worth it for a player like him at that hit.

Weird comparable:

Jannik Hansen, in 2011 (age 25), signed a 3-year contract, then a four-year extension after. Combined, this would have looked like a 7-year, approx. $2.01M AAV. This took him until his last year in SJ (2017-18) before retirement. I was surprised when he retired, as his performance did not really seem to decline. (Looking it up now, he played one more season in the KHL before retiring altogether, citing "physical inability.")

Now in 2019, Sissons is 25 on a deal of the same length, and $2.85M AAV. Considering the cap changes and the versatility of Sissons vs. Hansen, this should be a pretty great deal through and through, barring any major injury problems or brutal, rapid decline in the later years.

Edited by Gäz

He’ll be a consistent 3rd line player. And, coming off a 30 point season at the age of 25, he’s in his prime right now.

Assuming he plays the next 7 years in the NHL and puts up the same numbers, this is a fantastic deal. If he improves, it’s an absolute steal. If he ends up regressing and puts up between 15-20 points, the cap hit is so reasonable that it’s not a contract they’ll regret. Really, it’s a great contract for the Preds.

Hmmm similar numbers to Jake Virtanen. 

Let's say Jake pots 18 goals 12 assists in 75 games next season. Would you be happy if he signed the same contract? Jake is also three years younger (now) so he would be 30 at the end of a 7 year contract. 

Edited by canucklehead44

3 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Hmmm similar numbers to Jake Virtanen. 

Let's say Jake pots 18 goals 12 assists in 75 games next season. Would you be happy if he signed the same contract? Jake is also three years younger (now) so he would be 30 at the end of a 7 year contract. 

Is Jake mature enough to have a long term contract like that?  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Is Jake mature enough to have a long term contract like that?  

On one hand I would say no, on the other if he does breakout late it would be a fantastic value to have him locked-in at. Not sure if he would have the same motivation vs being on shorter term deals. With Sissons they pretty much know what they are getting. That said, after the end of this year we will have a good idea on whether Virtanen can move to being a legit top six player or he is going to be delgated to more of a "physical 15" type of middle six role. The 20 goal / 40 point milestones will be important for Jake this year.