The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Jonathan Dahlén to Timrå IK

9 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

so does this now mean that the sens won the burrows for dahlen trade ? 

i think it mostly means burrow won

and both nhl teams ended up with really not much in return

It's now essentially Burrows for Karlsson.

10 minutes ago, aliboy said:

It's now essentially Burrows for Karlsson.

so now it is burrows for a real long shot prospect

ok

so i'm going to assume it is a nothing in return now ?

i know these boards pump our prospects

but few not drafted in the first round amount to much (so far - demko and gaudette excepted - but they are still a bit on the bubble)

54 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I'm not swayed by anything. I'm agreeing with you. I just think it's funny how people's thought processes are.

I think it's more the cost of LE and actually seeing him play vs the cost of Dahlen and not seeing him play. Easy to harp on a 6 million dollar player putting up low point totals vs harping on some prospect that showed great potential via his numbers in Sweden that doesn't seem to be getting a chance.

For the record, I'm not sold on our farm system. I think next season will be telling. If it really was a lack of depth at center in the minors that did our prospects in, I hope the players we brought in will improve that.

22 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

so now it is burrows for a real long shot prospect

ok

so i'm going to assume it is a nothing in return now ?

i know these boards pump our prospects

but few not drafted in the first round amount to much (so far - demko and gaudette excepted - but they are still a bit on the bubble)

That's like the people who lost their minds for years on here after we traded a 2nd round pick for Derek Roy... the other side of the coin was Dallas that got 0 games out of that 2nd round pick who washed out in the ECHL.

Edited by coryberg
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Trent Cull is a strong hockey man and knows if a kid has the chops.    He saw warning flags from the start here and his instincts have proven right.

All the best to the kid and his career in Sweden.  It takes more than just skill to be in the NHL and it is good the Canuck system has people who can evaluate both.

I don’t have a good read on Cull.

Do you have first-hand and/or personal knowledge or experience with him that you can share?

if not do you have second hand knowledge you can share?

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Trent Cull is a strong hockey man and knows if a kid has the chops.    He saw warning flags from the start here and his instincts have proven right.

All the best to the kid and his career in Sweden.  It takes more than just skill to be in the NHL and it is good the Canuck system has people who can evaluate both.

Do you have first-hand and/or personal knowledge or experience with him that you can share?

10 minutes ago, nzan said:

Know people who worked with him in Sudbury and rave about his ability to have individual plans for players and to figure out early who "has it" and how doesn't.   

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

What a steal this turned out to be for Ottawa... 

Sadly burrows got injured in the east final vs the penguins and after he got hurt, the pens took over the series. 

Healthy Burr that year and I %100 guarantee Ottawa wins that cup they deserved. 

Long live the GOAT! Alexandre Burrrrrows

43 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Know people who worked with him in Sudbury and rave about his ability to have individual plans for players and to figure out early who "has it" and how doesn't.   

That’s interesting, I watched a couple of Utica/Toronto playoff games year before last and I loved Dahlens game...guess that’s why I do architecture rather than hockey

This was kind of anticipated before, where many were saying Dahlen would end up going back to Sweden. Looks like he might. Good job by Benning to trade him before this news. Who knows what the Canucks will get with Karlsson, my guess is nothing, because of the forward depth they already have. But you never know.

I forget where i saw it but there is a correlation between pro athletes VS adversity in life, (Herschel Walker).

A rich kid from sweden expecting everything to be handed to him because of his fathers name made in the NHL. I was excited when Dahlen was acquired but the more and more news that comes out about this kid the less i think he will ever be a top contributor, especially in the NHL.

44 minutes ago, apollo said:

What a steal this turned out to be for Ottawa... 

Sadly burrows got injured in the east final vs the penguins and after he got hurt, the pens took over the series. 

Healthy Burr that year and I %100 guarantee Ottawa wins that cup they deserved. 

Long live the GOAT! Alexandre Burrrrrows

Long live the #DragonSlayer !

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, nzan said:

That’s interesting, I watched a couple of Utica/Toronto playoff games year before last and I loved Dahlens game...guess that’s why I do architecture rather than hockey

Kid has talent but what you don't see when you watch a game is what the player does away from the games (commitment to training, update on meetings etc.) and even in a game, missed assignments etc. can be missed even if you are very educated about the game as unless you are part of the management/coaching team - you won't know the plan for each player.

My read, and I don't know specifically about this player, seems to be along the lines they had a plan for the player and the player didn't like the plan.    He was moved to San Jose and found they had a similar plan and he thought "perhaps North America and my game don't mesh" and he bolted back.   

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Kid has talent but what you don't see when you watch a game is what the player does away from the games (commitment to training, update on meetings etc.) and even in a game, missed assignments etc. can be missed even if you are very educated about the game as unless you are part of the management/coaching team - you won't know the plan for each player.

My read, and I don't know specifically about this player, seems to be along the lines they had a plan for the player and the player didn't like the plan.    He was moved to San Jose and found they had a similar plan and he thought "perhaps North America and my game don't mesh" and he bolted back.   

Tbh i think he wants to play in NA but last year and the 2 concussions made everything hard, he goes back to a Timrå where he is the star of the League and in the team he loves.. Get the joy and confidence back and in a couple of years he might be ready for the big scene, if not he enjoyed himself and is able to stay where he loves to be doing what he loves.. In my world Thats alot better than trying to grind yourself up the hierarchy in a place that doesn’t make you feel great

• Cheers 3

Too bad - he has potential.

tough to be a pro takes a lot of things and it looks like dahlens following a rough path now that doesn’t usually translate to success. Highly doubt he’ll become an impact nhler now.

still, tho, JB has yet to pull off that blockbuster signing or trade that catapults us forward

-Quinn- the St Louis Blues trade

-Burke - The Sedin trade

-Keenan ( I hated him) but the Bertuzzi trade, the Morrison trade

-Nonis- the Luongo trade

-Gillis - the Erhoff trade

Not saying where JB ranks amongst these guys but he for the duration he has been here he has not made a big splash trade.

- to be honest I really liked the Miller, Ferland and Myers moves.

- I think he does have assets - Podkolzin, one of our goalies or Dipietro, Madden, Gaudette, Virtanen, tanev,  woo, hell Ferland, miller are players other teams would have interest, especially if thy have good starts to the year- not saying he should trade any of these guys but if the right player was available...

Edited by Canucks Curse