The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Jonathan Dahlén to Timrå IK

18 hours ago, ForzaTikare said:

Tbh i think he wants to play in NA but last year and the 2 concussions made everything hard, he goes back to a Timrå where he is the star of the League and in the team he loves.. Get the joy and confidence back and in a couple of years he might be ready for the big scene, if not he enjoyed himself and is able to stay where he loves to be doing what he loves.. In my world Thats alot better than trying to grind yourself up the hierarchy in a place that doesn’t make you feel great

No question, not everyone is made out to be an NHL player and there are lots of hockey options out there and even more life options.   Chops to the kid for giving it a shot but also for realizing that when two organizations were telling you the same thing, that maybe it was time to shelve the NHL concept and move on with life.   Good on him for making the call that others were pushing him towards.

4 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Team spirit and loyalty seems to be high on his list. If money was important he would have stayed in AHL.

You mean he will make less than $70,000 playing in Sweden?

image.thumb.png.42bf47763154eb8659ec14c5b515fc40.png

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

So, what was Dahlens issue with the coaching system?

I can only guess from how fans behaves on this forum. And that isn't pretty on behalf of the fans... If the coaches think alike the situation in Canada is sheltered from the modern world.

By the way, swedes are among the best regarding team spirit and let the team come first.

I'm not going to disagree that our fans are sucky and can be toxic.

That being said, I think it's absolutely ridiculous that you can attribute a nation/country for having 'team spirit'. That's like saying Canadians are passionate about hockey (which is largely true, but some Canadians I know don't care about hockey at all). In other words, it's a stereotype.

Also,

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/canada-sweden-world-juniors-medal-toss-1.4476183

Lias Andersson was so frustrated with Sweden's second-place finish at the world junior hockey championship that he threw his silver medal into the crowd.

"I don't want it," said Andersson. "The guy in the stands wanted it more than me, so I gave it to him. I'm just going to have it home in some box or whatever so he wanted it more than me."

If you want to talk about stereotypes, Canadians in hockey have NEVER to my knowledge done this. This is absolutely classless and something a Canadian wouldn't do.

And it's your freaking captain that did it. So much for "team spirit".

And to be clear, I am not saying that Canadians are better than Swedish people. That is also just as ridiculous. I'm saying that you should stop worshipping your own people like they can't do wrong.

I'd like to think that Canadians are classy people (most of them are), but there are numerous Canadians that are a disgrace to our sport. Marchand, for example, is trash. Kadri's starting to get a reputation too.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 3

15 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I'm not going to disagree that our fans are sucky and can be toxic.

That being said, I think it's absolutely ridiculous that you can attribute a nation/country for having 'team spirit'. That's like saying Canadians are passionate about hockey (which is largely true, but some Canadians I know don't care about hockey at all). In other words, it's a stereotype.

Also,

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/canada-sweden-world-juniors-medal-toss-1.4476183

Lias Andersson was so frustrated with Sweden's second-place finish at the world junior hockey championship that he threw his silver medal into the crowd.

If you want to talk about stereotypes, Canadians in hockey have NEVER to my knowledge done this. This is absolutely classless and something a Canadian wouldn't do.

And it's your freaking captain that did it. So much for "team spirit".

And to be clear, I am not saying that Canadians are better than Swedish people. That is also just as ridiculous. I'm saying that you should stop worshipping your own people like they can't do wrong.

I'd like to think that Canadians are classy people (most of them are), but there are numerous Canadians that are a disgrace to our sport. Marchand, for example, is trash. Kadri's starting to get a reputation too.

Finland has great team spirit.

I didn't use classy or similar words. Sweden and Finland are small countries.

Sedins, Forsberg, Zetterberg etc is Swedes that put team before ego. And that is what I call team spirit. Not if a disappointed player throws a medal into the crowd. What has that to do with team spirit?

36 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Dahlens problem was Dahlen. If it was a coaching issue then he would have excelled in SJ, with the way you talk him up. Clearing coaching is not the issues, because off he goes back to a lesser league over seas.

How do I talk Dahlen up? I think he's great in Timrå. So I'm not sad if he wants to go back.

7 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Nah, only twits use ignore...

You need help man, this constant ranting can't be good for you.

By the way, I am of Swedish descent and Sweden is my second favorite team in the world (after Canada); I like the Finns next best too.

From Borje Salming having to put up with that imbecile Don Cherry and his "Chicken Swedes" comments, I have defended and cheered for all the Swedes who came over to the NHL.

I liked Dahlen but did not think he would be tough enough to withstand the hyper-violence of North American hockey.

The recent (to me anyway) reporting of 2 concussions in the AHL for him could well have been a factor in him not wanting to keep playing here and may explain some of his somewhat bizarre behaviour (e.g. not remembering who said what).

Putting the idiots and twits who post all this crap about players and management on "Ignore" makes CDC a much more enjoyable pastime.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

Finland has great team spirit.

I didn't use classy or similar words. Sweden and Finland are small countries.

Sedins, Forsberg, Zetterberg etc is Swedes that put team before ego. And that is what I call team spirit. Not if a disappointed player throws a medal into the crowd. What has that to do with team spirit?

Those players have nothing to do with Dahlen other than being Swedish. There are certainly incredible Swedish players and no one is running down the Swedes here. People are questioning Dahlen's character as an individual regardless of what nationality he is/would have been.

It could be an age thing where a younger generation may feel more entitled. There are many factors that it could be, but it all comes down to the individual. Maybe he will excel with a different coaching approach, but he cannot expect the coaching to change their ways specifically for him. He refused to admit he demanded a trade, but it might be more beneficial for him to admit he did to show that he wanted to find a situation better for himself. In the end, he did get traded and did not seem to find a fit on a new team. It is not the Canucks' duty to find a trading partner that will cater to his needs either. Dahlen has taken his own path to appease his learning curve and that is to go back to Sweden and we will see if he ever makes it back to the NHL and faces the challenges to overcome here.

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

You need help man, this constant ranting can't be good for you.

I'm used to it.

By the way, I am of Swedish descent and Sweden is my second favorite team in the world (after Canada); I like the Finns next best too.

From Borje Salming having to put up with that imbecile Don Cherry and his "Chicken Swedes" comments, I have defended and cheered for all the Swedes who came over to the NHL.

Some of the NHL aspects is more like the "show" those acting wrestlers put up. So who is tough? The actor trying to be populaf with dropping gloves or those who actually plays hockey.

I liked Dahlen but did not think he would be tough enough to withstand the hyper-violence of North American hockey.

The recent (to me anyway) reporting of 2 concussions in the AHL for him could well have been a factor in him not wanting to keep playing here and may explain some of his somewhat bizarre behaviour (e.g. not remembering who said what).

I think a "school" for prospects should excel them. Wich seem to be a problem with Utica.

Putting the idiots and twits who post all this crap about players and management on "Ignore" makes CDC a much more enjoyable pastime.

I see it in a wider perspective. If I filter out reality I don't see what the outside viewers see.

7 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Those players have nothing to do with Dahlen other than being Swedish. There are certainly incredible Swedish players and no one is running down the Swedes here. People are questioning Dahlen's character as an individual regardless of what nationality he is/would have been.

It could be an age thing where a younger generation may feel more entitled. There are many factors that it could be, but it all comes down to the individual. Maybe he will excel with a different coaching approach, but he cannot expect the coaching to change their ways specifically for him. He refused to admit he demanded a trade, but it might be more beneficial for him to admit he did to show that he wanted to find a situation better for himself. In the end, he did get traded and did not seem to find a fit on a new team. It is not the Canucks' duty to find a trading partner that will cater to his needs either. Dahlen has taken his own path to appease his learning curve and that is to go back to Sweden and we will see if he ever makes it back to the NHL and faces the challenges to overcome here.

We don't know what the problem is... Was Dahlen entitled/a primadonna, did he get scared when he got concussions, was he bullied by team members or staff, is it something completely else?

Do you know the exact reason why?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

We don't know what the problem is... Was Dahlen entitled/a primadonna, did he get scared when he got concussions, was he bullied by team members or staff, is it something completely else?

No one knows, but three NHL teams passed on him, so maybe he was the problem.

• Cheers 2

45 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Don't know what the exact reason is, but it doesn't matter to us what it may be. Dahlen as an individual did not do what it took to get to the next level. If NA hockey is too physical for him, then the league isn't changing for him. If he doesn't like the coaching, they're not changing for him specifically. If he was bullied, then it is up to him to bring it up to those that will listen. Maybe he's afraid to bring it up, which is understandable, but he's gone through 3 NHL teams and I doubt he has a target on his back to be bullied by all these teams. 

So I don't know what the issue may be, but with what we do know, it looks more like it's simply on him not wanting to put in the work to make it in the NHL.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I'm used to it.

Some of the NHL aspects is more like the "show" those acting wrestlers put up. So who is tough? The actor trying to be populaf with dropping gloves or those who actually plays hockey.

I think a "school" for prospects should excel them. Wich seem to be a problem with Utica.

I see it in a wider perspective. If I filter out reality I don't see what the outside viewers see.

As long as you're alright, I'm cool man.

I enjoy your input and your insights from a Swedish point of view.

3 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Dahlen probably thought he could play in the NHL but when he couldn't even pass the AHL level even with the sharks, he probably realized that the Canucks were right.

Hell even OTT's GM said that he didn't think Dahlen could make it past the AHL, which i thought was an unprofessional thing to say, but he is/was a noted scout.

16 minutes ago, ForzaTikare said:

In the shl top players is paid about $200k.. In allsvenskan, maybe $40k and you're in the top league-wide

Is he really considered a top player though? That's the real question.

23 minutes ago, ForzaTikare said:

In the shl top players is paid about $200k.. In allsvenskan, maybe $40k and you're in the top league-wide

I think Dahlen said he’s going home to play so he can find the fun in the game again.  Sounds like his experience in Utica killed the game for him.