The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Green should consider staying away from any line combination involving Gaudette, Baertschi, Virtanen, Sutter, Eriksson, and Leivo. Random thought on Quinn Hughes.

Rate this topic

Hindustan Smyl

Green should consider staying away from any line combination involving Gaudette, Baertschi, Virtanen, Sutter, Eriksson, and Leivo.   Random thought on Quinn Hughes.

The Canucks seem to have really improved their Top 6 this year.  A lot.   

However, here is what I think:  

1) I think any 3 man line combination involving Gaudette, Baertschi, Virtanen, Sutter, Eriksson, and Leivo will likely result in a very weak 3rd line in my opinion......to the point where we’d get minimal bottom 6 production and would overburden our Top 6.

2) Atleast TWO of the following THREE players should play on the 3rd line:   Pearson, Miller, Ferland.  That way, we can ensure that we’d be able to get some production from the 3rd line and present a more balanced attack.

I feel like most “Armchair GM’s” on here have created the following line combinations:

[Ferland or Miller]-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-[Ferland or Miller]

That’s all fine and dandy, but I think that would leave our 3rd line being too weak no matter what combination.  Even one of Ferland/Pearson/Miller likely wouldn’t be able to carry such a line.

That’s why, I would go with the following:

Line 1:  Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

I would put Miller here instead of Ferland since Miller is a better overall player.  In order to go “tit for tat” with other elite lines, the Canucks will need to put their best foot forward here.  This line wouldn’t be as good as the WCE or Sedin/Burrows, but I wouldn’t expect it to be too far off either.  This should be a very good line.

Line 2:  [Eriksson or Baertschi]-Horvat-Virtanen

These guys have had very good chemistry with one another in the past.  Baertschi has always been at his best with Horvat, while the entire Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen line looked really good during the 2015 pre-season.  I’d easily try this again.  However - if the Canucks find it impossible to move Eriksson (without retaining or without adding a sweetener), then I’d trade Baertschi for a pick to clear cap space.  Give Eriksson one year to play alongside Horvat and increase his value.    

3). Pearson-[Sutter or Gaudette]-Ferland

Regardless of which Center the Canucks go with here, I think the duo presence of Pearson and Ferland would make this line a scoring threat........which would allow the Canucks to have three potentially good scoring lines.   I think only one of Pearson or Ferland here wouldn’t be enough to carry a 3rd line.  Two of these guys however, and I think we’d be into something:

2) Coaching and Management expectations of Quinn Hughes:  

After looking at our overall defense, I have come to the following conclusion:   Our management REALLY thinks that we have something special in Hughes.....:and not only will it not take long for Hughes to get up to speed, but that he might be a Zack Werenski-ish caliber player almost right from the get go (maybe by the time December hits).  

The reason why I say this is because if management didn’t feel this way, I don’t think they would have Hughes slated into that 2nd pairing role right away.   My guess is that management not only expects Hughes to be a good 2nd pairing dman almost immediately, but also expects Hughes to be able to fill in quite easily on the top pairing Incase of injuries.     

Now normally, I’d be critical of management’s thinking here, but they’ve earned the right to earn my trust.  Why?  Because - last year around this time, it also appeared to me that they were expecting too much out of Elias Pettersson.  One year ago - I was wondering if EP could handle the physical rigors of the NHL right away.......and found it risky that management had him pegged to play as a Center right away instead of starting out on the wing...........and boy was I WRONG.  Big time.   EP absolutely smashed the doors down and I couldn’t be happier.   My guess is that Managament is expecting Hughes to be Pettersson/Boeser-ish in terms of not needing much of a break-in period.   I remain skeptical, but management has earned my trust.   There is also a piece on Team 1040 (can’t remember who) Where one hockey pundit thinks that Hughes will be a Norris Trophy Candidate one day and has him currently ranked ahead of Makar.    Taking all of this into consideration, I am cautiously optimistic.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 13

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

lets wait and see what the line chemistry is at camp before telling Green what to do 

Besides, don't line combinations in non-video game hockey change frequently throughout the season / game / period?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Green should consider staying away from any line combination involving Gaudette, Baertschi, Virtanen, Sutter, Eriksson, and Leivo.   Random thought on Quinn Hughes.

The Canucks seem to have really improved their Top 6 this year.  A lot.   

However, here is what I think:  

1) I think any 3 man line combination involving Gaudette, Baertschi, Virtanen, Sutter, Eriksson, and Leivo will likely result in a very weak 3rd line in my opinion......to the point where we’d get minimal bottom 6 production and would overburden our Top 6.

2) Atleast TWO of the following THREE players should play on the 3rd line:   Pearson, Miller, Ferland.  That way, we can ensure that we’d be able to get some production from the 3rd line and present a more balanced attack.

I feel like most “Armchair GM’s” on here have created the following line combinations:

[Ferland or Miller]-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-[Ferland or Miller]

That’s all fine and dandy, but I think that would leave our 3rd line being too weak no matter what combination.  Even one of Ferland/Pearson/Miller likely wouldn’t be able to carry such a line.

That’s why, I would go with the following:

Line 1:  Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

I would put Miller here instead of Ferland since Miller is a better overall player.  In order to go “tit for tat” with other elite lines, the Canucks will need to put their best foot forward here.  This line wouldn’t be as good as the WCE or Sedin/Burrows, but I wouldn’t expect it to be too far off either.  This should be a very good line.

Line 2:  [Eriksson or Baertschi]-Horvat-Virtanen

These guys have had very good chemistry with one another in the past.  Baertschi has always been at his best with Horvat, while the entire Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen line looked really good during the 2015 pre-season.  I’d easily try this again.  However - if the Canucks find it impossible to move Eriksson (without retaining or without adding a sweetener), then I’d trade Baertschi for a pick to clear cap space.  Give Eriksson one year to play alongside Horvat and increase his value.    

3). Pearson-[Sutter or Gaudette]-Ferland

Regardless of which Center the Canucks go with here, I think the duo presence of Pearson and Ferland would make this line a scoring threat........which would allow the Canucks to have three potentially good scoring lines.   I think only one of Pearson or Ferland here wouldn’t be enough to carry a 3rd line.  Two of these guys however, and I think we’d be into something:

2) Coaching and Management expectations of Quinn Hughes:  

After looking at our overall defense, I have come to the following conclusion:   Our management REALLY thinks that we have something special in Hughes.....:and not only will it not take long for Hughes to get up to speed, but that he might be a Zack Werenski-ish caliber player almost right from the get go (maybe by the time December hits).  

The reason why I say this is because if management didn’t feel this way, I don’t think they would have Hughes slated into that 2nd pairing role right away.   My guess is that management not only expects Hughes to be a good 2nd pairing dman almost immediately, but also expects Hughes to be able to fill in quite easily on the top pairing Incase of injuries.     

Now normally, I’d be critical of management’s thinking here, but they’ve earned the right to earn my trust.  Why?  Because - last year around this time, it also appeared to me that they were expecting too much out of Elias Pettersson.  One year ago - I was wondering if EP could handle the physical rigors of the NHL right away.......and found it risky that management had him pegged to play as a Center right away instead of starting out on the wing...........and boy was I WRONG.  Big time.   EP absolutely smashed the doors down and I couldn’t be happier.   My guess is that Managament is expecting Hughes to be Pettersson/Boeser-ish in terms of not needing much of a break-in period.   I remain skeptical, but management has earned my trust.   There is also a piece on Team 1040 (can’t remember who) Where one hockey pundit thinks that Hughes will be a Norris Trophy Candidate one day and has him currently ranked ahead of Makar.    Taking all of this into consideration, I am cautiously optimistic.

Thanks for the effort but I'm kind of happy with Green doing the coaching.  Go Canucks Go!

P.S. - GM's don't do line-ups, that's the coach's job.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, zombieksa said:

This - for all we know Virtanen and someone like Miller play great together.

yeah you never know who a player catches fire with, Miller might be the perfect mentor for Jake. Or not. But thats what camp is for. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

That second line seems pretty weak instead though. I'd rather help Bo get to 70-80 points by giving him real wingers than bolster the 3rd line and leave Bo carrying the line

That’s a fair enough criticism.

My idea for Baertechi-Horvat-Virtanen is from 4 years ago (2015 preseason where they looked quite good with one another).  

My thing with Baertschi, is that he seems a bit lost without Horvat.   These two have always had good chemistry.  

If it doesn’t pan out though, then I’d go with the conventional Pearson-Horvat-Ferland.

I still like Miller on that first line though.   Put our best foot forward.

As others have said in this thread however, it’s probably just better to see what happens at camp before making forecasts and penciling in people.  

Off the top top of my head though, I just think that the Canucks could still be at risk in terms of icing a weak bottom 6 (which is if true, will overburden our top players just as it did these past few seasons).