The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Green should consider staying away from any line combination involving Gaudette, Baertschi, Virtanen, Sutter, Eriksson, and Leivo. Random thought on Quinn Hughes.

Rate this topic

Hindustan Smyl

3 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

After looking at our overall defense, I have come to the following conclusion:   Our management REALLY thinks that we have something special in Hughes

24930959-daily-news-newspaper-headline-r

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Just curious.

What part of my post do people specifically disagree with?   I see a lot of memes, sarcastic responses, and confused emoticons, but do not see much in the way of constructive criticism.

Do the posters disagreeing with me not believe that our bottom 6 would very likely be weak if we went with....

[Ferland-Miller]-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-[Ferland-Miller]

As our top 6, which would leave with us any of the following combinations as our 3rd line (which I believe would be hardpressed to produce consistent offense).

[Baertschi/Eriksson/Leivo]-[Gaudette-Sutter]-[Virtanen/Eriksson/Leivo]

I’m open to suggestions on why I should feel otherwise.

Or - do people disagree with my comments relating to Hughes (ie by the looks of things, Management is expecting Hughes to do big things fairly soon because he’s being given the 2nd pairing LD role right away......and will be expected to substitute immediately in the top pairing should Edler go down).  

Here's my two cents - Baertschi, when healthy, has had a much higher ppg then Pearson.  Yes, Pearson and Horvat showed some chemistry for like 9 games or whatever, but Baertschi and Horvat have had chemistry for 2 seasons.  Furthermore I don't see how Baertschi and Sutter are a fit in any way, shape or form.

I think it will play out like this

Miller - Petterson - Boeser (best player at each position, Miller is a great puck distributor so this line could be dynamite)

Baertschi - Horvat - Ferland (this line is the wildcard, but as I said Baer and Horvat have chemistry, and Ferland is underrated offensively)

Motte (Roussel when he returns) - Sutter - Virtanen (shut down line, play this vs other team's top lines.  Reasoning should be fairly obvious)

Pearson - Beagle / Gaudette - Leivo

The last line is a bit tricky.  I wouldn't mind the team exploring trade options for Beagle as I think Gaudette is ready for a fourth line role, but maybe they want Adam to work on his offensive game in Utica.  Lievo is playing his off wing however is a right shot so theoretically shouldn't have too many issues on his off wing.  Pearson can be moved up to the 2nd line when Baertschi inevitably gets injured.

I like our forward group, there's some versatility, speed, size and skill.  And some depth which we haven't had a while.  Ferland can play LW on the first line for example, or Pearson LW on the 2nd.  Hell even Miller could be tried out at 2nd C if Bo gets injured.  Excited for the season.

Edited by highwayman3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

The primary role of the bottom 6 should be to shut down opponents, but they can’t  be completely deficient and impotent at scoring either.......like has been the case for us the past four years.   That’s my point.

I think the Canucks might be at a point this coming season where they’d be able to roll out three lines that could produce......while still having a bottom 6 that primarily focused on shutting down.

They haven't been deficient though. Our main problem has been our top lines weren't good enough; usually because we didn't have enough depth to deal with injuries. Last season, for instance, once Bo had to take defensive responsibilities it put Pettersson in the position of taking the opponents best defenders. Gaudette took the secondary scoring starts and wasn't nearly good enough to force any match up decisions by our opponents. Having two good scoring lines forces the other team to pick a line to use their best defenders against freeing up the other line to play against lesser defenders. If we have two good shut down lines, that actually takes pressure off of our scoring lines.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Just curious.

What part of my post do people specifically disagree with?   I see a lot of memes, sarcastic responses, and confused emoticons, but do not see much in the way of constructive criticism.

Do the posters disagreeing with me not believe that our bottom 6 would very likely be weak if we went with....

As our top 6, which would leave with us any of the following combinations as our 3rd line (which I believe would be hardpressed to produce consistent offense).

Or - do people disagree with my comments relating to Hughes (ie by the looks of things, Management is expecting Hughes to do big things fairly soon because he’s being given the 2nd pairing LD role right away......and will be expected to substitute immediately in the top pairing should Edler go down).  

Baertschi (maybe Goldie) -Sutter -Virt ( maybe Leivo) Also Roussell could put up sufficient points. Of those players Lievo has the lowest season high point total with 24 points last year, his first full season.

StLouis blues forwards #7-9 scored from 33- 28 points. That is 4 more than Leivo, 3 more than Jake and one more than Goldie at the low end, while Baertschi Sutter and Roussell have all topped the high end of those point totals.

Last year Hughes played 5 games in the 3rd pairing. You say he is top 4 but I cannot find anywhere that management has corroborated your assumption.

What evidence do you have to support management thinks Hughes is top 4?

8 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Green should consider staying away from any line combination involving Gaudette, Baertschi, Virtanen, Sutter, Eriksson, and Leivo.   Random thought on Quinn Hughes.

The Canucks seem to have really improved their Top 6 this year.  A lot.   

However, here is what I think:  

1) I think any 3 man line combination involving Gaudette, Baertschi, Virtanen, Sutter, Eriksson, and Leivo will likely result in a very weak 3rd line in my opinion......to the point where we’d get minimal bottom 6 production and would overburden our Top 6.

2) Atleast TWO of the following THREE players should play on the 3rd line:   Pearson, Miller, Ferland.  That way, we can ensure that we’d be able to get some production from the 3rd line and present a more balanced attack.

I feel like most “Armchair GM’s” on here have created the following line combinations:

[Ferland or Miller]-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-[Ferland or Miller]

That’s all fine and dandy, but I think that would leave our 3rd line being too weak no matter what combination.  Even one of Ferland/Pearson/Miller likely wouldn’t be able to carry such a line.

That’s why, I would go with the following:

Line 1:  Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

I would put Miller here instead of Ferland since Miller is a better overall player.  In order to go “tit for tat” with other elite lines, the Canucks will need to put their best foot forward here.  This line wouldn’t be as good as the WCE or Sedin/Burrows, but I wouldn’t expect it to be too far off either.  This should be a very good line.

Line 2:  [Eriksson or Baertschi]-Horvat-Virtanen

These guys have had very good chemistry with one another in the past.  Baertschi has always been at his best with Horvat, while the entire Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen line looked really good during the 2015 pre-season.  I’d easily try this again.  However - if the Canucks find it impossible to move Eriksson (without retaining or without adding a sweetener), then I’d trade Baertschi for a pick to clear cap space.  Give Eriksson one year to play alongside Horvat and increase his value.    

3). Pearson-[Sutter or Gaudette]-Ferland

Regardless of which Center the Canucks go with here, I think the duo presence of Pearson and Ferland would make this line a scoring threat........which would allow the Canucks to have three potentially good scoring lines.   I think only one of Pearson or Ferland here wouldn’t be enough to carry a 3rd line.  Two of these guys however, and I think we’d be into something:

2) Coaching and Management expectations of Quinn Hughes:  

After looking at our overall defense, I have come to the following conclusion:   Our management REALLY thinks that we have something special in Hughes.....:and not only will it not take long for Hughes to get up to speed, but that he might be a Zack Werenski-ish caliber player almost right from the get go (maybe by the time December hits).  

The reason why I say this is because if management didn’t feel this way, I don’t think they would have Hughes slated into that 2nd pairing role right away.   My guess is that management not only expects Hughes to be a good 2nd pairing dman almost immediately, but also expects Hughes to be able to fill in quite easily on the top pairing Incase of injuries.     

Now normally, I’d be critical of management’s thinking here, but they’ve earned the right to earn my trust.  Why?  Because - last year around this time, it also appeared to me that they were expecting too much out of Elias Pettersson.  One year ago - I was wondering if EP could handle the physical rigors of the NHL right away.......and found it risky that management had him pegged to play as a Center right away instead of starting out on the wing...........and boy was I WRONG.  Big time.   EP absolutely smashed the doors down and I couldn’t be happier.   My guess is that Managament is expecting Hughes to be Pettersson/Boeser-ish in terms of not needing much of a break-in period.   I remain skeptical, but management has earned my trust.   There is also a piece on Team 1040 (can’t remember who) Where one hockey pundit thinks that Hughes will be a Norris Trophy Candidate one day and has him currently ranked ahead of Makar.    Taking all of this into consideration, I am cautiously optimistic.

Image result for stupid look

The reason we traded for Miller and Pearson, and signed Ferland, was in hopes to boost the top six. We all want to see Horvat get better and better right? Well sticking him with linemates worse than the ones we acquired certainly will not do not. Roussel, Gaudette, Beagle, Virtanen, Motte, Leivo etc., are all fine bottom six players, Roussel was even on pace for a career high in points before getting hurt. We won’t be sticking plugs with Horvat unless we get murdered by injuries again. 

• Cheers 1

Pearson Horvat Miller

Ferland Pettersson Boeser

Baertschi Sutter Virtanen

Motte Beagle Leivo

EZ peezy. Pearson, Baer, Ferland and Miller are all interchangeable. As much as I love Jake I don't see Green ever letting him off the leash in the top 6. We have a somewhat distressing amount of top 6 lefties. I'd have Jake with Miller and Horvat, or at least experiment with it. Miller has some decent playmaking ability. Good two way. Big-ish body. Got some crash and bang potential with the 3 of them together. Although a Pearson Bo Miller trio will likely be crashing and banging.

5 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Just curious.

You lost me when you said 2 of 3 (Miller/Ferland/Pearson) need to be on the 3rd line. That is putting too much of our toughness/grit on 1 line we need to balance it out some more. Our offense can be more balanced but that is assuming Baer/Goldy can play top 6. For all we know Leivo could develop good chemistry with Sutter/Gaudette/Virtanen and give that line some punch and if it isn’t working out I’m sure Green has a plan. He juggles his lines more than any coach in the league it feels like, at least on a night to night basis.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

Every single player mentioned except for Gaudette and Leivo need to go asap...

Sorry but JV scored 15 g last season and hit 7 posts and 2 crossbars.. with luck on those he was an inch away from then he'd have gotten 24 total so no... just NO... 

His game still isn't finished being honed yet so that would be the worst thing to do.