The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markstrom/Demko Seattle Expasion draft (Discussion/Poll)

Markstrom/Demko.....not what you want, but what you think he will get  

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have just been thinking about the Seattle expansion draft and who we will protect at that time...………….

I get that, anchoring ourselves to any one player, 2 years prior, may be a little premature , but I wonder about some of the comments I have read

on CDC about which goaltender we may protect...……..

My problem comes from the statement by some that Markstrom may be the goaltender protected at that time...……….I really have a hard time with that position

1st of all, all things being equal. Markstrom, is at best an average goaltender, who has been such for 1 year...…..a very small sample size

2ndly, Demko, has shown he is a NHL goaltender, albeit a small sample size, but given everything else is equal, age must be a issue that is weighed very carefully

Demko, is a goaltender of the future, Markstrom of the present, I would question whether Markstrom has 5 more years in the league in total, strictly on age alone.

One never knows, but it is the norm, and I would not be wanting to bet on our future, if our money is on Markstrom playing longer than that

I personally, would risk not putting Markstrom on the protective list, if we decide not to trade him, which I honestly do not think Benning will do.

Lastly, how will Markstrom's contract demands come into play with all the young gun contracts coming up? What will Markstrom's new contract be worth and for how long?

It will be interesting to see who is not protected from the Canucks and around the league. We definitely will loose someone of value, the question will be who?

If we look back at the Vegas expansion draft, Pittsburgh let Fleury go, which I am sure was painful, but was probably the right thing to do, long term

I think this is a no brainer for us.

My question is, what other Goalies are exposed, that would give Seattle, strength and depth...…..what other players from the exposed Canucks may be more enticing?

My second question is, if you would protect Demko, then would you trade Markstrom at the TDL this year, as his contract is up at the end of the year...….

Are we prepared to give Markstrom a 5 year, $5.5 million per year contract, with a NTC...………...because if he plays well, that is what he will want, IMO

Your thoughts?

31 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

If he has a stellar year he could be looking at a contract in the range of 4 years x 5 Million with limited NTC. Him and Tanev may be two players who decide to walk in UFA next year or we sign him and leave unprotected in ED.

I thought a little higher $, but same years

Yes, I see them both unprotected, or traded

One of the things that keeps on popping up is

Would Benning have the jam to trade either

while in a playoff hunt?

I don't see it, but he should IMO

Maybe together. lol

I can't see them trading either goalie at this point unless Markstrom comes in, has a terrible start to the year and Demko has solidified the number 1 for at least 20-30 games . They are trying to make the playoffs and trading our starter when Demko still hasn't proven anything wouldn't be the smartest move to make.

I think they'll end up losing Markstrom to Seattle or letting him walk next season if Demko looks ready by the end of the year.

If Demko doesn't look ready, then I can see them signing him to a 2 or 3 year deal at around 5 million per.

• Wat 1

Markstrom had a really good year last season, and he didn't have much of a team (D) in front of him. He still kept the Canucks in most games.

What if...

Markstrom has a stellar season this year, with an improved team (D) in front of him? I'm talking career high stats, maybe 4-5 shutouts, a 2.50 gaa and a 920 sv%, or something silly. And what if he stands on his head in the playoffs and the Canucks get passed the first round? 

Do they keep or trade Markstrom?

Keeping him will means Demko has to go.

Edited by NUCKER67

34 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Markstrom had a really good year last season, and he didn't have much of a team (D) in front of him. He still kept the Canucks in most games.

What if...

Markstrom has a stellar season this year, with an improved team (D) in front of him? I'm talking career high stats, maybe 4-5 shutouts, a 2.50 gaa and a 920 sv%, or something silly. And what if he stands on his head in the playoffs and the Canucks get passed the first round? 

Do they keep or trade Markstrom?

Keeping him will means Demko has to go.

We could still sign Markstrom and protect Demko and see if Seattle takes Markstrom or not. Might be better than just letting him walk. At least then Seattle takes him and not one of our other players.

• Like 1

Just now, TNucks1 said:

demko only started 9 games last year, i doubt it.

The guy who is playing better will start.  Demko will play better than Marky right out of the gate.  It will take until Christmas for Green to start playing Demko as the starter.  We might not even reup Marky.  IMO, I see Marky becoming a UFA July 1, 2020.  Demko is the guy we will move forward with.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

What if...

What if Ian Clark can do for Demko  (or more), what he did for Marky? Then What? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I highly doubt markstrom has a whole lot of trade value unless a team has a goalie or 2 go down long-term and the market tightens up a lot. I feel like Demko would have to really underachieve to not be protected in the expansion draft. Doesn't realy see like there is much of a debate about what to do with either at this point. 

38 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

At 31 Marky most likely will be too old for Seattle, a very young team.

I think he'll clear.

Fleury is 34.

There's a decent chance that Markstom is one of the best goalies available to Seattle. 

45 minutes ago, Justdean10 said:

We could still sign Markstrom and protect Demko and see if Seattle takes Markstrom or not. Might be better than just letting him walk. At least then Seattle takes him and not one of our other players.

We could also wait until the end of the season to sign Markstrom. If Seattle signs him then it counts as the player taken from us I believe. Vegas signed Engelland as a UFA from Calgary and that counted as their loss in the Expansion draft. That way we lose one lower end forward likely and keep both our goalies by simply waiting to sign.

• Cheers 1