The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coaching, decisions and player usage

Rate this topic

Wanless

2 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

It's just too much, need a better way to show it.  The bars tend to blend in with each other too, which makes it harder to see how many games.  It's just a bad illustration imo.  

Try clicking on it, then zoom in on it. It's a lot clearer in it's original size, bit pixelated just looking at the post.

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

You are basically trying to come up with a theory without having a big enough sample size AND you are picking examples that seem to fit your theory.

Sorry but I don't buy it at all.

I didn't see a price tag on it

35 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Nope....probably couldn't give that theory away for free!!

You would have to throw in a major sweetener.  Like a hundred bucks cash for anyone that agreed!  :lol:

I’ll drink to that. :bigblush:

Green might be Green, but he also took a post Sedin plus one team that was supposedly a bottom two or three and overachieved.  There is nothing wrong with that.  Not to mention the usual round of injuries that plagued his more reliable vets etc.   Before jumping the gun why don’t we see what he can do with a much improved team on paper.   Not to mention regurgitating he same old names, well gets old, nice to see new blood get their chances and Green also overachieved in the AHL level.  Criticizing based on Horvats deployment is more of a criticism of JB not providing the guys to help him (quality line mates) and on LE, well it’s not like he’s done anything at all with the chances he’s had in the top six since arriving, his skills have eroded or his confidence or both.   Really do you want him in the top six?  I don’t, he’s a serviceable vet, he started last year with EP and ended it with Horvat and no magic was made when he had time with the Sedins earlier either.  

Sure Trotz is a great coach and we’d be better with him most likely, he’s at the top of his game.  That said it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if they fall (Lehner  had a boffo season) and things will come crashing down to earth.   

There isnt many coaches I’d rather have, at least for now, let’s see how he can do with this team before making broad strokes suggesting he’s incapable.   That said his head will roll before JBs does and if his replacement doesn’t make it work it will be the end of this era of management and god help the ramifications and the core as the next group comes in and puts their fingerprints into the mix (out with the old in with the new). 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Nope....probably couldn't give that theory away for free!!

You would have to throw in a major sweetener.  Like a hundred bucks cash for anyone that agreed!  :lol:

All I got is loui Eriksson

I guess I might be in the minority on this but I haven't liked a coach on the Canucks since AV. Torts was really the only real coach the Canucks but he wasn't well liked. Now seeing his success in Columbus, it really makes me wonder if he got a fair shake in Vancouver. Willie and Green are more qualified to be assistant coaches than NHL coaches. While they can help with development, their lack of ability to play the game of chess in coaching and that comes from being in the league for a long time and knowing tendencies of opposition players, puts them at a disadvantage. I often question Green's line deployment and lack of creativity. Take the end of last year. Pettersson basically when silent in goal scoring and a lot of it was because he kept looking for the pass to Boeser. Any other coach would at least split them up a couple of games to see what happens. I remember AV, apart from the Sedins, he would juggle the lines like a circus act just to spark certain players. I don't really see Green proactively do that. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, smokes said:

I guess I might be in the minority on this but I haven't liked a coach on the Canucks since AV. Torts was really the only real coach the Canucks but he wasn't well liked. Now seeing his success in Columbus, it really makes me wonder if he got a fair shake in Vancouver. Willie and Green are more qualified to be assistant coaches than NHL coaches. While they can help with development, their lack of ability to play the game of chess in coaching and that comes from being in the league for a long time and knowing tendencies of opposition players, puts them at a disadvantage. I often question Green's line deployment and lack of creativity. Take the end of last year. Pettersson basically when silent in goal scoring and a lot of it was because he kept looking for the pass to Boeser. Any other coach would at least split them up a couple of games to see what happens. I remember AV, apart from the Sedins, he would juggle the lines like a circus act just to spark certain players. I don't really see Green proactively do that. 

so your gonna use a nhl rookie as an example ?   lol  he led the team in points , got smashed to the ice  had a leg injury and your worried that played a lil tired at the end of his first season , petey is just learning the game  , coach green kept them together  that's what you do show a player how to work thru his so called slump ,  

the coaches game of chess , you need the pieces to play that game , and the canucks didn't have the all the pieces . think of all the player turnover the canucks have had in the last 2 years  and the amount  of injuries  added on    that's all green did all season was juggle lines and d pairs  I think we had 1 game  last year  that the team  had a full roster .,

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, the grinder said:

so your gonna use a nhl rookie as an example ?   lol  he led the team in points , got smashed to the ice  had a leg injury and your worried that played a lil tired at the end of his first season , petey is just learning the game  , coach green kept them together  that's what you do show a player how to work thru his so called slump ,  

the coaches game of chess , you need the pieces to play that game , and the canucks didn't have the all the pieces . think of all the player turnover the canucks have had in the last 2 years  and the amount  of injuries  added on    that's all green did all season was juggle lines and d pairs  I think we had 1 game  last year  that the team  had a full roster .,

Maybe there was so much turnover because the coach can't figure out how to get players to play well together. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Wanless said:

Loui Eriksson and his comments of being used in a role he's not used to being in are spot on. I'm not saying that green is causing Eriksson to suck but he's not using him in the role he's always played. It's odd that a 20-30 goal scorer 50-65 point player who has been relied on for scoring his whole career is being used as a matchup guy (once again I'm not saying green is the only reason but I'm questioning is deployment). The comment seemed more in frustration of the spotlight on Erikssons production than lashing out, understandable.

Oh great, another Loui Eriksson love thread. They should have a separate sub-forum for these, lol :)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

How about we play out this season at see if maybe just maybe Green is a better coach than some seem to give him credit for.

We've been rebuilding the last 3 years. Threw mud on the wall and saw what stuck. Now he has a decent squad to start with. 

Lets just see what happens before we talking about changing the coach.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, smokes said:

Maybe there was so much turnover because the coach can't figure out how to get players to play well together. 

OR maybe the player just weren’t/aren’t that good.   Dreadful defense.  Three forwards that can move the needle.   And enough bottom six guys to make three lines.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Wanless said:

I agree that he has done well in the past and that he is fair. But that doesn't mean he is evaluating and deploying his talent appropriately. That is my main concern. Remember the Hutton Gudbranson pairing?

Instead of what exactly?  Edler Gudbranson?  Hutton was our second best LHD, not exactly much to work with and when Edler was out good grief things went from bad to worse.   A bottom team finished 10-15 points higher then expected, thanks in part to EP and Markstrom, but also in part of what the coach got out of his lemons.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, smokes said:

Toronto Maple Leafs adds and subtractions this summer 2019 - 2020    

DELETES (20)

LW C RW
Patrick Marleau (Trade) Nazem Kadri (Trade) Connor Brown (Trade)
Tyler Ennis (UFA) Chris Mueller (UFA) Nick Baptiste (UFA)
Michael Carcone (Trade) Josh Jooris (Europe) Gabriel Gagne (UFA)

LHD RHD G
Jake Gardiner (UFA) Nikita Zaitsev (Trade) Garret Sparks (Trade)
Ron Hainsey (UFA) Igor Ozhiganov (Europe) Eamon McAdam (UFA)
Calle Rosen (Trade) Steven Oleksy (UFA)  
Andreas Borgman (Trade) Jordan Subban (UFA)  

Vincent LoVerde (UFA)

Edited by janisahockeynut

ADDS (14)

LW C RW
Alex Kerfoot (Trade) Jason Spezza (UFA) Pontus Aberg (UFA)
Kenny Agostino (UFA) Nick Shore (UFA) Garrett Wilson (UFA)
  Kalle Kossila (UFA)  
  Tyler Gaudet (UFA)  
  Aaron Luchuk (Trade)  
LHD RHD G
Kevin Gravel (UFA) Tyson Barrie (Trade) (NONE)
Ben Harpur (Trade) Cody Ceci (UFA)  
  Jordan Schmaltz (Trade)  
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

So SMOKES

Are you suggesting that the 3rd OA Leafs, are doing it wrong? Or have a bad coach?

34 player movements this summer.

he is just mad because he knows he is wrong   travis greens first year the canucks  went thru 35 players thru out the season plus 3 goalies ,  last year we went thru 45 players and used five goalies ,  and every year we added 3 to 5 new players to the roster  and this year we added 4 quality nhlers to the lineup .. we finally have some quality  pieces to be successful , and coach green will deploy them properly  , and have them play well together     ps   now if jb can find one more scoring winger   and a depth dman i think we will be set  or we wait for the Russian invasion of podi and trymakin 

• Upvote 1