The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coaching, decisions and player usage

Rate this topic

Wanless

3 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Well my thinking is that Benning has done what he can to give us wins NOW.  If we aren't competitive, the question would need to be asked if the players Benning got suck or if it us a result of not utilizing the players properly.  I would imagine the first step would be to look at the coaching and to see if a new coach would spark our players better.  The alternative is to get a new GM who would modify the personnel but that is a longer term solution.  After completing a rebuild, I imagine ownership wants to win with the current roster.

Most owners wouldn't be that patient to be honest.  Even the Aquilini's were pretty quick to fire the GM when they just missed the playoffs (the previous two GM's were fired the first time they missed the playoffs).  Good thing they let Benning have enough time to accomplish what he wants to do.

9 hours ago, nuck-lifer said:

Green's deployment overall was pretty effective. You look at the percentage of player improvements under the coach, and considering we ran top 3 again for injuries most players excelled under Green.

A few exceptions would be Pouliot, Gudbranson, and Eriksson. Pouliot and Gudbranson were thrown into roles that were above their ability. Eriksson is the interesting case.

In my mind he doesn't fit with Petey's line, but he does compliment a stronger, heavier line such as Horvat/ Pearson where he had success there late in the year.

With Ferland and Miller added to our lineup , I really think this will bring out the best in Loui as long as Green doesn't waste him on Beagles line again.

something like this 

Ferland - Petey- Brock- 1

Pearson- Bo- Loui- 2A

Baer- Miller- Jake- 2B

Sutter- Beagle- Leivo- 4

Loui in the middle 6 would be the ideal situation IMO to maximize the player and more importantly maximize his value to unload this contract hopefully next summer.

I quite like the look of that line up

Then when rousell comes back baertschi can be dealt to have a more tenacious 3rd line

• 4 months later...

Thought maybe now would be a good time to dredge up with thread.

It's now December and we are all talking about Green and how he is utilizing the roster.

I'm personally sick of watching Greens system. It is out dated, predictable and ameteur

Green needs to go

Rotating lines like that, playing dump and chase (only for teams like St.Louis) and playing a rookie defender 28 minutes per game are signs of a desperate coach who is in over his head.

Makes me sick to see Hughes used that much, he IS going to get injured soon. So fking stupid.

Green needs to go !

Edited by BarDown
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BarDown said:

Rotating lines like that, playing dump and chase (only for teams like St.Louis) and playing a rookie defender 28 minutes per game are signs of a desperate coach who is in over his head.

Makes me sick to see Hughes used that much, he IS going to get injured soon. So fking stupid.

Green needs to go !

I also notice that in a foot race to a free puck, the Canucks almost always give up and fall back to the defensive side.

What is this?!?

It's like the early season success on the PK has got him defending all the time like they are on a PK.

This blocking shots as a top plan for defence has to go as well.

Every game looks the same, every line plays d the same. The team has bought in to his system, but it sucks and he doesn't know how to get the most out of his players.

Maybe Loui was right (saw that in the post game talk made me laugh)

4 hours ago, hockeygod77 said:

GREEN NEEDS TO STEP IT UP BY SHOWING SOME MORE NEW TACTICS..HE SEEMS LIKE A GOOD COACH BUT IT NOT EASY IN THIS NHL.....YOU NEED ALL GUYS FIRING ON 8 CYLINDERS....MAKE THE PLAYOFFS AND THEN SEE WHAT THEY GOT..

European versions like Petey have 12 cylinders. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, hockeygod77 said:

GREEN NEEDS TO STEP IT UP BY SHOWING SOME MORE NEW TACTICS..HE SEEMS LIKE A GOOD COACH BUT IT NOT EASY IN THIS NHL.....YOU NEED ALL GUYS FIRING ON 8 CYLINDERS....MAKE THE PLAYOFFS AND THEN SEE WHAT THEY GOT..

Why are you YELLING?