The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PP and PK - Thoughts on who fits where

Rate this topic

Silver Ghost

Curious to hear what people think Green will do with the PP and PK units given the new personnel. There are certainly a lot of viable alternatives. 

I personally would like to see Hughes and Myers manning the points on the 1st PP unit and Edler shuffled down to the 2nd unit. I think this would really give the top unit a new look and some unpredictability. Boeser, Petterssen, Horvat would be good on unit one. Ferland, Miller, Baertschi, Pearson, Goldobin, etc., depending on who is around, lots of options.

I expect Benn and Tanev to be mainstays on the PK,  and we have a lot of good options at forward. Sutter, Beagle, Eriksson, etc. 

How do you think Green will construct these units?

Edited by Silver Ghost
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

Curious to hear what people think Green will do with the PP and PK units given the new personnel. There are certainly a lot of viable alternatives. 

I personally would like to see Hughes and Myers manning the points on the 1st PP unit and Edler shuffled down to the 2nd unit. I think this would really give the top unit a new look and some unpredictability. Boeser, Petterssen, Horvat would be good on unit one. Ferland, Miller, Baertschi, Pearson, Goldobin, etc., depending on who is around, lots of options.

I expect Benn and Tanev to be mainstays on the PK,  and we have a lot of good options at forward. Sutter, Beagle, Eriksson, etc. 

How do you think Green will construct these units?

TREASON

BLASPHEMY

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, BrockBoester said:

Bo would be a possible choice for the power play but it may be better to keep him to a more limited or sheltered role this season to see if he can really become a great two way player like Kesler back in the day. Throw him on the third line in some hard checking minutes and see if he will make lemonade out of lemons.

As far as the Power Play and PK units, I'm figuring that Green will really want to load up the top lines on each configuration, so something like:

PP1 (Stacked for offense)

Virtanen-Ferland-Eriksson

Benn-Tryamkin

PP2 (5 forwards)

Motte-Sutter-Goldobin

Roussel-Beagle

PK1 (great PKers and durable defenseman who can block shots and not get injured)

Lucic-Eriksson-Edler-Tanev

(facilitate this by trading markstrom 50% salary retained to calgary for lucic and a 3rd and a conditional 6th)

PK2 (Heavy hitter squad)

Pettersson-Eriksson-Horvat-Ed Jovanovski AKA the JovoCop

(Eriksson playing on both PK units will help satiate his thirst for more ice time)

We get a lot of mileage out of some key performers and maximize our chances to tilt the scoreboard in our favor on the special teams. It's a win-win

hahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahaahhahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, BrockBoester said:

Bo would be a possible choice for the power play but it may be better to keep him to a more limited or sheltered role this season to see if he can really become a great two way player like Kesler back in the day. Throw him on the third line in some hard checking minutes and see if he will make lemonade out of lemons.

As far as the Power Play and PK units, I'm figuring that Green will really want to load up the top lines on each configuration, so something like:

PP1 (Stacked for offense)

Virtanen-Ferland-Eriksson

Benn-Tryamkin

PP2 (5 forwards)

Motte-Sutter-Goldobin

Roussel-Beagle

PK1 (great PKers and durable defenseman who can block shots and not get injured)

Lucic-Eriksson-Edler-Tanev

(facilitate this by trading markstrom 50% salary retained to calgary for lucic and a 3rd and a conditional 6th)

PK2 (Heavy hitter squad)

Pettersson-Eriksson-Horvat-Ed Jovanovski AKA the JovoCop

(Eriksson playing on both PK units will help satiate his thirst for more ice time)

We get a lot of mileage out of some key performers and maximize our chances to tilt the scoreboard in our favor on the special teams. It's a win-win

Your posts are so hard to read. Can't tell if you're serious or joking, lol.

• Upvote 1

Assuming LE is in Utica...

While Roussel is on LTIR I would like to see Virtanen on the PK. He needs to hone his skills for that sort of role moving forward IMO. I can see him grabbing about 4-6 short handed goals per season in that kind of role in the future.

Also would like to see Stech used in a special teams role too. Likely PK, as I see Hughes, Myers, Edler on the PP.

PK1:

Motte Beagle

Benn Tanev

PK2:

Virtanen Sutter

Edler Stecher

PP1:

Boeser Horvat Pettersson

Baer Edler

PP2:

Ferland Miller Pearson 

Hughes Myers

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

While Roussel is on LTIR I would like to see Virtanen on the PK. He needs to hone his skills for that sort of role moving forward IMO. I can see him grabbing about 4-6 short handed goals per season in that kind of role in the future.

Also would like to see Stech used in a special teams role too. Likely PK, as I see Hughes, Myers, Edler on the PP.

PK1:

Motte Beagle

Benn Tanev

PK2:

Virtanen Sutter

Edler Stecher

PP1:

Boeser Horvat Pettersson

Baer Edler

PP2:

Ferland Miller Pearson 

Hughes Myers

Bearcheese and Bo No-score-vat on the first unit powerplay. Yeah okay pal. lol ;)

Pretty truculent PK there but no Ferkland?

1 hour ago, BrockBoester said:

Bearcheese and Bo No-score-vat on the first unit powerplay. Yeah okay pal. lol ;)

I’m not your pal. My friends aren’t dbags.

IMO Petey and Baer are the best playmakers in the team. I would put Horvat on PP1 because you need to win the draw. Petey has poor face off %. I think Horvats 7 PP goals last season were pretty acceptable but the main guys that should be scoring on PP1 are Petey and Brock.

Ferland played a total of 1 minute 39 seconds of PK last year. But yeah good idea to put him on the PK.

• Haha 1

Will be interesting to see what Green does, he's got a lot of tools to play with but essentially we've got:

1) Playmakers: Pettersson, Baertschi, Goldobin, Miller, Leivo

2) Shooters: Pettersson, Boeser, Pearson, Horvat

3) Grinders: Ferland, Miller, Horvat, Virtanen, Sutter

I think we'll see a good combination of the 3 on each unit. The question will be whether we rotate 3 forwards and 2 D or 4 forwards. Not sure what Green would do, but I'd do the following:

Horvat - Pettersson - Boeser

Edler - Hughes

Ferland - Miller - Pearson

Myers - Stecher

For the first unit, the top 3 are simple but adding Hughes as a PP QB lets the 3 forwards roam around. Hughes and Pettersson play catch, which can swap to Pettersson and Boeser lower down while Horvat plants himself. Definitely keep Edler on the point as a safety net because Hughes is going to be roaming all over the ice not thinking defence at all.

For the 2nd unit, those are 3 pretty gritty players and 2 point men who can get the shots through so the simple plan is win possession, net presence and shots from the point. Two righties can set each other up for one timers but they really just need to sift it through, keep it simple and bang in rebounds.

2 different units, very hard to defend against. One top skilled and puck possession, the second primarily gritty guys who can score from point shot tips and rebounds.

I would honestly love to see Green try 5 forwards on the PP. 

Baertschi Horvat Miller

Petey Boeser

In reality, it's up to Ferland/Miller to decide who gets the net-front presence spot on PP1. I don't think that spot is in Bo's wheelhouse. He is fine there, but it is hard for me to recall him tipping many shots. I'd also like him to absorb less punishment. 

PP1

Leivo Miller Boeser

Pettersson Edler

PP2

Baertschi Horvat Ferland

Hughes Myers

If Goldy is on the roster, he can slot in and out of either PP. I like Leivo on PP1 for those times when the puck gets rimmed around the boards on entries (which I hate to begin with). He is really strong on the lower half of the wall. If that's not working, move Baertschi up and put Pearson with Bo. 

7 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

PK1:

Motte Beagle

Benn Tanev

PK2:

Virtanen Sutter

Edler Stecher

PP1:

Boeser Horvat Pettersson

Baer Edler

PP2:

Ferland Miller Pearson 

Hughes Myers

No Bo on PK? Yeah, not gonna happen.

Horvat won't play on 1st PP unit cause he already plays on the first PK unit. Don't want to overwork him.

Baertschi on the point on the first unit? Also never gonna happen. How do you not have Hughes there?

Pearson - Pettersson - Boeser

Hughes - Leivo

Baertschi/Leivo - Horvat - Miller

Edler - Myers

Green likes mixing up his lines. Hard to give a definitive answer.

First unit PP: 

TBD

Ferland/Miller/Bo          

Boeser                                          Pettersson

Hughes

Boeser and Pettersson are locks. Hughes should be on the first unit unless Green wants to ease him in from the second unit.

With the addition of Ferland and Miller, we have a couple of more choices in front of the net. I didn't quite like Bo at the side of the net, thought he would kill lots of plays from there. He's probably better in front of the net.

Baer        Ferland/Miller/Bo        Pearson/Bo

Edler                Myers

PP1: Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Ferland, (Myers/Hughes)

PP2: Miller, Pearson, Virtanen, Baertschi, (Myers/Hughes)

I think there's a possibility Horvat and Miller swap as IMO Horvat hasn't been particularly good on the PP thus far.  Myers should take top spot unless Hughes overthrows him. 

PK1: Sutter, Eriksson, Edler, Tanev

PK2: Beagle, Virtanen, Stecher, Benn

We need to get Virtanen more involved in the PK. His size and speed make him great at boxing out players and counter attacking.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

PP was at it’s best when Baer was healthy. After he went down PP struggled. But, I imagine it doesn’t matter. Trolls gonna troll.

• Upvote 1

PP1

Boeser - Horvat - Ferland

Hughes - Pettersson

PP2

Baertschi - Miller - Pearson

Edler - Myers

PK1

Sutter - Miller

Edler - Tanev

PK2

Beagle - Mott

Benn - Myers

PK3

Hovat - Virtanen

Edler - Stecher

Miller: net front

If you look at Miller’s past production, nearly all his power play scoring comes at the net front position or as a playmaker behind the net. He’s quite crafty getting his stick on tips and finding rebounds, and his greatest strength, passing, is well utilized as a setup man from behind the net.

Bumper: Ferland

Again, based on past production, Ferland is best used at the bumper position. He has a good release from the slot, can capably relay pucks centrally, and can crash the net, or move down for double screens, or extra net front presence to grab rebounds.

Sideboard shooters: Boeser and Petey

Not much needs to be said.

Point Dman: Hughes

I’d run with:

Miller

Boeser - Ferland - Pettersson

Hughes

on 1PP, using a 4F/1D in a 1-3-1 formation. Alternate between a cross-ice/diamond (working the puck around a diamond to create cross-ice passes to setup the half board shooters as primaries, with the bumper/slot as secondary option) and a low release play (where the puck is worked to Miller down low, and he can setup the other three Fs as shooting options). Hughes isn’t really relied on as a shooting option, but plays distributor and also handles the puck to create delays that allow rotation and reset of the formation, while maintaining zone possession.

PP2, I think go 3F/2D, playing a little conservative with a full D pairing available to transition to 5v5 if the PP expires. Edler and Myers, each crossing over to their off sides, to maximize shooting potential. Horvat obviously plays on this unit in a central role. I’d use Baertschi as net front/down low, where he’s surprisingly effective. Leivo as a RH shooter coming off the left halfboards. Or Pearson as the LH shooter off the right halfboards, which isn’t ideal with 3 LH shot Fs, but could still work.

Baertschi

Leivo - Horvat (or Horvat - Pearson)

Myers - Edler

I’d use a split formation, alternating between 1-3-1 and overload. Baertschi shifts between netfront and moving below the goal line. Horvat moves between the bumper/slot and net front. The third forward comes off the halfboards. The Dmen play their off sides, to maximize shooting options, with one D moving down as a halfboard shooter in the 1-3-1 (the other shifting more centrally up top).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Baer. said:

No Bo on PK? Yeah, not gonna happen.

Horvat won't play on 1st PP unit cause he already plays on the first PK unit. Don't want to overwork him.

Baertschi on the point on the first unit? Also never gonna happen. How do you not have Hughes there?

Pearson - Pettersson - Boeser

Hughes - Leivo

Baertschi/Leivo - Horvat - Miller

Edler - Myers

Green likes mixing up his lines. Hard to give a definitive answer.

I think if Sutter and Beagle are both healthy, Bo might not have to be on the PK at all, which could provide him with more offensive opportunities. Both Beagle and Sutter are sublime defensive centres who specialize at defense, so it would seem a waste not to use both on the PK. Maybe one of them plays wing on the PK? Not sure if that's feasible or not.

• Like 1