The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal]Erikson For Gaborik why it makes sense for Van and Ott

why bother buying him out? just use the LTIR. We could sign Boeser to a higher salary long term deal with room to spare, with cap space opening up a lot in 2 seasons after Marion is gone. Gives us some breathing room for the next 2 seasons. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

For Ott, it makes sense cause they are unable to place Gaborik on LTIR due to the fact they Are no where near Max Cap, and they get a player in Erikson who can play. If this sounds familiar it is just like the Original Horton Clarkson deal.  https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/clarkson-for-horton-trade-a-legal-and-brilliant-circumvention-of-the-salary-cap. Furthermore, Erikson will be a greater cap hit for Ott but will cost them the same dollar value. This could come in to play for Ott in years to come to reach the cap floor especial as they rebuild their team and the floor goes up in future seasons. 

For Van, it makes sense cause we can put Gaborik on LTIR if needed and then next season buy him out. His current buyout for next season would cost the Canucks 2.825 mill in the first year  and 1.025 mill second year these number are far less then the 6 million cap hit from Erikson. Or if we are up against the cap next season as it looks like the Canucks will be they can then place Gaborik's contract on LTIR and there would be no need to buy him out and after that season his contract would be off the books in time to sign Hughs and Pettersson. 

I myself would have no problem seeing the Canucks add either or both Leivo and Goldy in a trade like this, as the Canucks do not currently have the roster space for either of them if Gaud is to make the team. Both these players could become good stop gaps for Ott and give Ott younger players time to develop.

Straight up maybe but not at the expense of Leivo or Goldy.  I want to see some more play out of those guys before we cut them adrift.  Leivo has shown some good hands and some smart play and Goldy is tantalizingly close to figuring out NHL hockey (though admittedly not quite there yet).  Go Canucks Go!

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, nux_win said:

Straight up maybe but not at the expense of Leivo or Goldy.  I want to see some more play out of those guys before we cut them adrift.  Leivo has shown some good hands and some smart play and Goldy is tantalizingly close to figuring out NHL hockey (though admittedly not quite there yet).  Go Canucks Go!

13 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Definitely Leivo, but wouldn’t shed any tears if Goldy was included. Hasn’t shown nearly enough with or without the puck in my mind. 

I just thought with roster issues and the fact that if it could get Eriksson off the books then both those players in that scenario are expandable. Keep in mind to that Leivo is UFA next season and if he has a good year he will be in for a pay day and I just don't see the Canucks with cap to fit Leivo in at 2.5-3.5 mill per season. The other option is he has a bad season and he is not worth keeping anyways. The only upside would be he has a good season but the team has a bad season and the Canucks trade him at the deadline. If he has a good season and the Canucks are looking at making the playoffs at the Deadline I just don't see Benning trading him.  

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Eighty percent of Gaborik's contract is covered by insurance (source).  He's basically Melnyk's dream player.  They'll just keep him on regular IR instead of LTIR.

Yeah that contract is actually exactly what Ottawa wants right now. 

I think Harman Dayal of the Athletic floated the idea of trading for Kesler, who has a 6.875 million dollar cap hit and will likely be on LTIR for the rest of his career. His contract is also entirely base salary and not signing bonus. If the contract isn't insured then it's almost certainly something the Ducks' ownership would want to move out. The Canucks could take back the contract and simply put him on LTIR.

1 hour ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I just thought with roster issues and the fact that if it could get Eriksson off the books then both those players in that scenario are expandable. Keep in mind to that Leivo is UFA next season and if he has a good year he will be in for a pay day and I just don't see the Canucks with cap to fit Leivo in at 2.5-3.5 mill per season. The other option is he has a bad season and he is not worth keeping anyways. The only upside would be he has a good season but the team has a bad season and the Canucks trade him at the deadline. If he has a good season and the Canucks are looking at making the playoffs at the Deadline I just don't see Benning trading him.  

Fair enough. Looks like the point is moot if King Heffy’s post above is accurate ( no reason to doubt it)

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Eighty percent of Gaborik's contract is covered by insurance (source).  He's basically Melnyk's dream player.  They'll just keep him on regular IR instead of LTIR.

1 minute ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Yeah that contract is actually exactly what Ottawa wants right now. 

I think Harman Dayal of the Athletic floated the idea of trading for Kesler, who has a 6.875 million dollar cap hit and will likely be on LTIR for the rest of his career. His contract is also entirely base salary and not signing bonus. If the contract isn't insured then it's almost certainly something the Ducks' ownership would want to move out. The Canucks could take back the contract and simply put him on LTIR.

They could also get Mcarthur and then sign Gardiner 1 year big money deal lol.

1 hour ago, Arrow 1983 said:

It's pretty simple to me.  Leivo has a "show me" year, and if he plays well pay him and if he doesn't, don't.  Go Canucks Go!

22 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

This is a really solid trade proposal. Kudos to you. I hope the Canucks make a move this like. 

thanks I don't really write in this part of the forum so hard to think up a good trade as so many factors come into play. I believe one can never know how hard it is to make a trade unless one is a GM. 

Last year the Canucks had Dorsett on IR all season and not LTIR because they were operating well below the cap.  Same for Toronto who had Horton on IR and not LTIR.

Ottawa isn't anywhere close to the cap.  Gaborik and MacArthur on IR helps them reach the floor.  Both those contracts are insured per Garioch - i.e. the cost in real dollars is minimal.  They help Ottawa reach the cap floor and don't cost a roster spot.  

Arizona had the same strategy as Ottawa in the past when when they were below the floor.  They added IR contracts that were insured - Pronger, Bolland never played a game for Arizona but their cap hit helped them reach the floor at a minimal cost.  

It's not allowed to buy out an injured player btw.

Edited by mll