The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal]Erikson For Gaborik why it makes sense for Van and Ott

7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why bother buying him out? just use the LTIR. We could sign Boeser to a higher salary long term deal with room to spare, with cap space opening up a lot in 2 seasons after Marion is gone. Gives us some breathing room for the next 2 seasons. 

Can't buy out an injured player.

Using LTIR makes it challenging to bank cap space.  The recalls due to injuries could result in an overage that can't be covered by banked cap space.  Losing a player for a few games to injury becomes problematic.  A healthy player cannot be put or stay on LTIR - the team would be at risk of penalties.   LTIR is at least 10 games or 24 days.

Using LTIR could also create a bonus overage for any performance bonuses due - that would need be carried over.   

It's why teams that are close to the cap try to move out those contracts.  For teams near the floor like Ottawa it doesn't matter because it actually helps them reach the floor and the player can stay on IR.

Arizona had Bolland, Pronger that never played a game for them but helped them reach the floor at a minimal cost - now they apparently would like to move Hossa as they are so close to the cap.  Ottawa are more likely to want to swap Eriksson with a contract that costs them real dollars like Bobby Ryan rather than those IR contracts - the MacArthur and Gaborik contracts are insured.   

Toronto has no choice but to use LTIR.  Horton's contract is not insured and is owed 3.6M in real dollars.  Kekaleinen commented that he was not going to pay 3.8M to get a 1st round pick - that was the cost of the Marleau buyout.  Toronto likely found no takers and not sure they had another 1st round pick to spare.

Toronto no longer has any key players on ELCs so they are not really exposed to a bonus overage unlike Vancouver with Hughes and Pettersson.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 3

It's a really good idea. I'm surprised Vancouver hasn't explored this option. I doubt Eriksson denies any trade, at this point. I'm sure he wants to go back to Dallas but I'm not sure Dallas wants Eriksson back at his cap hit. The problem with the Canucks management right now is that they seem very uncreative when it comes to moves like these...

But it's a smart way to solve a problem for both teams.

The Sens get a player who will play for them. I'm not sure Eugene Melnyk loves the idea of paying a guy to be on the LTIR. At least with Eriksson, they get a Top 9 forward who'll play for them for at least 2 seasons.

The Canucks open up a roster spot, get out from under the Eriksson deal, save some cap in the near future, and all that jazz. Aquaman won't mind footing the LTIR bill and Eriksson gets his wish to leave Vancouver, especially after his comments about Green. That relationship doesn't seem repairable.

I can see the Canucks sending over a player like Goldobin or Schaller as sweetener.

11 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I just thought with roster issues and the fact that if it could get Eriksson off the books then both those players in that scenario are expandable. Keep in mind to that Leivo is UFA next season and if he has a good year he will be in for a pay day and I just don't see the Canucks with cap to fit Leivo in at 2.5-3.5 mill per season. The other option is he has a bad season and he is not worth keeping anyways. The only upside would be he has a good season but the team has a bad season and the Canucks trade him at the deadline. If he has a good season and the Canucks are looking at making the playoffs at the Deadline I just don't see Benning trading him.  

If Benning could get this deal and it cost us both he should take it and run.  He’d probably have to add as why else would OTT bother doing us any favours...

7 hours ago, mll said:

Can't buy out an injured player.

Using LTIR makes it challenging to bank cap space.  The recalls due to injuries could result in an overage that can't be covered by banked cap space.  Losing a player for a few games to injury becomes problematic.  A healthy player cannot be put or stay on LTIR - the team would be at risk of penalties.   LTIR is at least 10 games or 24 days.

Using LTIR could also create a bonus overage for any performance bonuses due - that would need be carried over.   

It's why teams that are close to the cap try to move out those contracts.  For teams near the floor like Ottawa it doesn't matter because it actually helps them reach the floor and the player can stay on IR.

Arizona had Bolland, Pronger that never played a game for them but helped them reach the floor at a minimal cost - now they apparently would like to move Hossa as they are so close to the cap.  Ottawa are more likely to want to swap Eriksson with a contract that costs them real dollars like Bobby Ryan rather than those IR contracts - the MacArthur and Gaborik contracts are insured.   

Toronto has no choice but to use LTIR.  Horton's contract is not insured and is owed 3.6M in real dollars.  Kekaleinen commented that he was not going to pay 3.8M to get a 1st round pick - that was the cost of the Marleau buyout.  Toronto likely found no takers and not sure they had another 1st round pick to spare.

Toronto no longer has any key players on ELCs so they are not really exposed to a bonus overage unlike Vancouver with Hughes and Pettersson.

great explanation as usual Mil. 

In our case tho the benefit of moving Loui and being able to 'pull a Marner' might be worth the overage risks.