The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our defensive depth - Top 8 vs Top 6 perspective

Rate this topic

BrockBoester

So here's the thing.

Tanev and Edler both still great players and will have some pressure taken off with the revamp this team has gone through this offseason. Hopefully a bit lighter load on the ice time and a bit easier matchups for one or both players will lead to lessened injury time. But in the last several years I've realized that we can't ever ignore the guys lower down the depth chart with how many injuries we usually end up with. Having a solid pool of players to call from when this inevitably happens is what could mean the difference between a massive slide in the standings and staying above water at .500 or better while our top guys are out.

So this being said, with Tanev and Edler being in the top 6, we really need to have about 8-9 defenseman that we can rotate in and out for much of the season, and I'm fully confident that whoever we have to ice will be a significant upgrade over what we've had in the recent past (*cough* pouliot *cough*)

So this makes the guys in spots 5-8 very integral in our regular season chances and I would argue that this need would be even further intensified WHEN we are in the playoffs next spring. The guys that seem to be pencilled in down in those slots are:

Biega
Stetcher

Benn

Juolevi

With honorable mention to players like Sautner and Woo who may not be the first call-up this season but still could fill in short-term potentially.

I would say that if Juolevi starts to live up to even some of his rumored potential this season that gives us a pretty solid lower-half of the D chart, and that is going to pay off big time when our injuries start racking up.

Or maybe we'll just not have any injuries at all this year and we'll have a bunch of well-rested reserves for the playoffs. ;)

I'm still kinda holding out hope that Hutton could be had at a dirt-cheap deal as he would fit really well in the 6-7-8 ranking here. And then take into consideration that Big Nik T might be coming back from Russia which would give us a bunch of options on defense. So here's hoping that one or more of Tryamkin/Juolevi/Hutton ends up on the squad at some point and that should really help to mitigate when we are missing D that are injured (specifically Tanny and Eddy)

Cheers canuckbros and we'll see you around eh

giphy.gif

Juolevi is a big wildcard this year. He could struggle in Utica or be NHL-ready by the pre-season. Odds are he's somewhere in between--probably a strong season in Utica. Given our history, there's no doubt we'll need our 7 guy for 30-40 games this year and the #8 guy for for maybe 20 games or so. I think Biega and Fantenberg will be fighting over that #7 spot. Biega looked surprisingly good last year, so in my mind, he has an edge over Fantenberg right now, but I imagine the team will want to see what they have in Fantenberg, so I suspect he'll be given the #7 and it'll be his to lose to Biega.

• Upvote 2

I wholeheartedly agree that those bottom 4 spots are crucial for a team like Vancouver who struggles with injuries consistently, especially on the D side. I think that is why Fantenberg was such a good pickup, and Biega has improved every single year. I do agree that our call up options are also very good, better than they have been in years. The disappointing part is that Woo is not AHL eligible yet, I think he would have been ready for the AHL and for NHL call ups here and there. On the bright side, Brisebois, Sautner, Juolevi are all ready for callups, but they are all LD. I wonder if Rafferty, Teves and Chatfield are ready to be called up regularly. Time will tell. 

• Upvote 1

Be great to have Tryamkin join us again at the end of the KHL season! In time for a ply off run!

Would also be a way to throw a signing bonus at him against any IR we have at the time.  He could double his income for the year just to help encourage his return...  ;) 

• Haha 1

Edler

Tanev

Myers

Benn

Hughes

Stecher

Fantenberg

Biega

Sautner 

Brisebois 

That's essentially the defence depth we're going to camp with including OJ as a 'wildcard' imo.  I would be ok with this depth - it's more than we've had for a while now.  Big question is where are the increased minutes going to go to other than Myers/Benn when the inevitable long-term injuries happen to you know who?  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Edler

Tanev

Myers

Benn

Hughes

Stecher

Fantenberg

Biega

Sautner 

Brisebois 

That's essentially the defence depth we're going to camp with including OJ as a 'wildcard' imo.  I would be ok with this depth - it's more than we've had for a while now.  Big question is where are the increased minutes going to go to other than Myers/Benn when the inevitable long-term injuries happen to you know who?  

Juolevi will be a head of Sautner, briesbois, He will start like he did last season before injury..Juolevi now 21 will be a top 4 guy by the end of the season

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, wildcam said:

Juolevi will be a head of Sautner, briesbois, He will start like he did last season before injury..Juolevi now 21 will be a top 4 guy by the end of the season

It really only depends on his rehab and how that went. With regards to their respective potentials, Juolevi is by far the most promising of those players, and is still a shoe-in for a future top 4 spot. If his rehab went well, expect it to be near january. If it was a tough summer for him, then a year in the AHL can only do him some good. The thing that most people forget about with Juolevi, is that one day or the other, this pick is gonna pan out.