Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Devils re-sign Nikita Gusev


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Wow that's an overpayment of a contract.

Not too much risk with the term though. If he pans out and he needs a bigger deal, it’s a bigger issue for them than if he doesn’t. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is a solid gamble.  A team was going to have to pay, or the player would go to the KHL.  With his pedigree over there, there wasn't a chance in hell he'd slide in for less than 2 million.  If he performs, your team is a winner.  If he doesn't, term is nothing and the price tag isn't going to handcuff you.  New Jersey has to put up a show of having a team that Taylor Hall is going to win with in the now, and with a chance of going forwards in the future.  They have a good 1 2 punch down the middle in Hughes and Hischier.  The goaltending has the potential to be solid....in the gambling sense of the word.  And the d-core isn't that bad.  We aren't talking instant cup contender, but the team, if everything breaks right, can definitely do some damage.  We shall see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

Not too much risk with the term though. If he pans out and he needs a bigger deal, it’s a bigger issue for them than if he doesn’t. 

Ya I agree with this.  I guess they're planning on playing him with Hughes and Hall.  Good opportunity for him to show what he's got.  Just .... 4.5 for somebody who has never played in the league .... yikes!

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A lot of money for a career KHL’er. It’s a different game out here. Oh well, the Devils can take chances based on what they have for salary cap.

 

I think I would rather have taken chances of currently available free agent Justin Williams. This guy had over 50 points last season and still not signed anywhere!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, EliasBoeser said:

This will either be a bargain or an overpayment,  guess it may possibly be a fair contract if he gets 40-50 points..

Defnitely a big risk.  Don't know how he'll play in a league that he's never played in.  I would of been more comfortable with 4.5 if he's played in the league before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

A lot of money for a career KHL’er. It’s a different game out here. Oh well, the Devils can take chances based on what they have for salary cap.

 

I think I would rather have taken chances of currently available free agent Justin Williams. This guy had over 50 points last season and still not signed anywhere!

No one wants to sign a jerk!

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

No one wants to sign a jerk!

Justin Williams can be a jerk all he wants if he pots in 50 points a year on a regular basis! Question is, will he be a jerk to his teammates and cause problems there. Then I would say forget it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Justin Williams can be a jerk all he wants if he pots in 50 points a year on a regular basis! Question is, will he be a jerk to his teammates and cause problems there. Then I would say forget it.

He's the captain of the jerks :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

A lot of money for a career KHL’er. It’s a different game out here. Oh well, the Devils can take chances based on what they have for salary cap.

 

I think I would rather have taken chances of currently available free agent Justin Williams. This guy had over 50 points last season and still not signed anywhere!

Williams isn't sure if he wants to continue to play.  He told Carolina that he needs time.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly, it's not that bad of a deal. Absolute worst case scenario is he is a scrub and bolts to KHL in 2 years.

Not ideal scenario is he's a 40-50 point top 9 player, slightly overpaid, but not by a lot.

Likely scenario is he is an ideal top six player who can put up around 60-ish points and help a PP that is in need of it. Good deal then.

Best case scenario is he is Panarin 2.0 or close to, puts up 70+ points on the top line and tears up the pp with Hall/Hughes and Subban.

 

My money is on a 65-ish point season and 20+ pp points. Guy has too much vision and has good insulation with Hall, Subban, Hughes, Hishcier to not make an impact.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Easy to compare this trade to the one we made for JT Miller. Interested to see who yall think made the better trade... Van or NJ?

I think it's about even. We get more of a guaranteed asset in Miller. NJ took on a player who is more of a gamble but has a higher ceiling. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

Easy to compare this trade to the one we made for JT Miller. Interested to see who yall think made the better trade... Van or NJ?

I think it's about even. We get more of a guaranteed asset in Miller. NJ took on a player who is more of a gamble but has a higher ceiling. 

I liked the idea of Millers body in the top 6 with Pettersson. However we did end up getting Ferland at a good dollar amount. So in saying that I’d rather have Gusev for a 2nd and a 3rd than Miller for a 1rst and a 3rd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...