The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Devils re-sign Nikita Gusev

2 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Wow that's an overpayment of a contract.

Not too much risk with the term though. If he pans out and he needs a bigger deal, it’s a bigger issue for them than if he doesn’t. 

It is a solid gamble.  A team was going to have to pay, or the player would go to the KHL.  With his pedigree over there, there wasn't a chance in hell he'd slide in for less than 2 million.  If he performs, your team is a winner.  If he doesn't, term is nothing and the price tag isn't going to handcuff you.  New Jersey has to put up a show of having a team that Taylor Hall is going to win with in the now, and with a chance of going forwards in the future.  They have a good 1 2 punch down the middle in Hughes and Hischier.  The goaltending has the potential to be solid....in the gambling sense of the word.  And the d-core isn't that bad.  We aren't talking instant cup contender, but the team, if everything breaks right, can definitely do some damage.  We shall see.

28 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

Not too much risk with the term though. If he pans out and he needs a bigger deal, it’s a bigger issue for them than if he doesn’t. 

Ya I agree with this.  I guess they're planning on playing him with Hughes and Hall.  Good opportunity for him to show what he's got.  Just .... 4.5 for somebody who has never played in the league .... yikes!

• Cheers 1

A lot of money for a career KHL’er. It’s a different game out here. Oh well, the Devils can take chances based on what they have for salary cap.

I think I would rather have taken chances of currently available free agent Justin Williams. This guy had over 50 points last season and still not signed anywhere!

2 minutes ago, EliasBoeser said:

This will either be a bargain or an overpayment,  guess it may possibly be a fair contract if he gets 40-50 points..

Defnitely a big risk.  Don't know how he'll play in a league that he's never played in.  I would of been more comfortable with 4.5 if he's played in the league before.

3 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

A lot of money for a career KHL’er. It’s a different game out here. Oh well, the Devils can take chances based on what they have for salary cap.

I think I would rather have taken chances of currently available free agent Justin Williams. This guy had over 50 points last season and still not signed anywhere!

No one wants to sign a jerk!

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

No one wants to sign a jerk!

Justin Williams can be a jerk all he wants if he pots in 50 points a year on a regular basis! Question is, will he be a jerk to his teammates and cause problems there. Then I would say forget it.

6 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Justin Williams can be a jerk all he wants if he pots in 50 points a year on a regular basis! Question is, will he be a jerk to his teammates and cause problems there. Then I would say forget it.

He's the captain of the jerks :)

9 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Williams isn't sure if he wants to continue to play.  He told Carolina that he needs time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Honestly, it's not that bad of a deal. Absolute worst case scenario is he is a scrub and bolts to KHL in 2 years.

Not ideal scenario is he's a 40-50 point top 9 player, slightly overpaid, but not by a lot.

Likely scenario is he is an ideal top six player who can put up around 60-ish points and help a PP that is in need of it. Good deal then.

Best case scenario is he is Panarin 2.0 or close to, puts up 70+ points on the top line and tears up the pp with Hall/Hughes and Subban.

My money is on a 65-ish point season and 20+ pp points. Guy has too much vision and has good insulation with Hall, Subban, Hughes, Hishcier to not make an impact.

• Upvote 1

Easy to compare this trade to the one we made for JT Miller. Interested to see who yall think made the better trade... Van or NJ?

I think it's about even. We get more of a guaranteed asset in Miller. NJ took on a player who is more of a gamble but has a higher ceiling. 

2 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

Easy to compare this trade to the one we made for JT Miller. Interested to see who yall think made the better trade... Van or NJ?

I think it's about even. We get more of a guaranteed asset in Miller. NJ took on a player who is more of a gamble but has a higher ceiling. 

I liked the idea of Millers body in the top 6 with Pettersson. However we did end up getting Ferland at a good dollar amount. So in saying that I’d rather have Gusev for a 2nd and a 3rd than Miller for a 1rst and a 3rd.