The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Devils re-sign Nikita Gusev

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

I liked the idea of Millers body in the top 6 with Pettersson. However we did end up getting Ferland at a good dollar amount. So in saying that I’d rather have Gusev for a 2nd and a 3rd than Miller for a 1rst and a 3rd.

For some reason when I first read the thread I thought it said they traded a 1st and 3rd for Gusev, but I guess with the 1st we traded being protected it's still comparable.

9 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

Easy to compare this trade to the one we made for JT Miller. Interested to see who yall think made the better trade... Van or NJ?

I think it's about even. We get more of a guaranteed asset in Miller. NJ took on a player who is more of a gamble but has a higher ceiling. 

You do realize Miller is a proven NHL star with a longer reasonable cap hit right? Canucks win this easily. Miller is also in his prime so he has a high ceiling as well. He will be depended upon more here than in Tampa and will be given more ice time and opportunities.

Edited by grandmaster
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Viper007 said:

Defnitely a big risk.  Don't know how he'll play in a league that he's never played in.  I would of been more comfortable with 4.5 if he's played in the league before.

It's not as big a risk as one would think.  He is following the steps of teammate Dadonov, who is also a late bloomer.  Dads was signed by Fla a couple of years ago...$4m for 3yrs and a NMC.  So far, Dads scored 28g in the first 2 years of his contract.  Gusev has had more points in the KHL and is a couple of years younger.

This St Petersburg SKA team is very interesting indeed.  Loaded with former NHL players; including some very big names.  On a side note, Podk plays on the same team, which may end up being a huge learning/development opportunity for him.

8 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Its only 2 years so its worth the risk. 

If things don't work out he's likely not going to stick around for the full 2 years - any team back home will pay him big dollars.  

2 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

On the Canuck plus side Gusev was going to play for St Petersburg and now it opens up more ice time for Podkolzin.

On the negative side, his need on that team becomes greater and so it will be difficult for the Canucks to buy him out of that contract in about a year or so.

sorry about the glass half empty view, lol

1 hour ago, Yung1 said:

For some reason when I first read the thread I thought it said they traded a 1st and 3rd for Gusev, but I guess with the 1st we traded being protected it's still comparable.

It’s protected for one year. So if the Canucks miss the playoffs this year and in the year after then TB gets our pick in 2021 regardless of where our pick ends up. That pick could be around 20th or it could be top 5. We won’t know how the Canucks made out in this trade until it’s complete. Miller for a pick around 20 or later is a good trade. Miller for a top 5 pick is a very bad trade. Buckle in boys and girls!

14 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

It’s protected for one year. So if the Canucks miss the playoffs this year and in the year after then TB gets our pick in 2021 regardless of where our pick ends up. That pick could be around 20th or it could be top 5. We won’t know how the Canucks made out in this trade until it’s complete. Miller for a pick around 20 or later is a good trade. Miller for a top 5 pick is a very bad trade. Buckle in boys and girls!

If it ends up being a top 5 pick I'll eat a shoe. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Yung1 said:

Easy to compare this trade to the one we made for JT Miller. Interested to see who yall think made the better trade... Van or NJ?

I think it's about even. We get more of a guaranteed asset in Miller. NJ took on a player who is more of a gamble but has a higher ceiling. 

If the Canucks didn't get Miller, the 1st would likely have been traded for another F.

Cannot compare Miller with Gusev.

Miller, 6"1 218lbs (thickness), has over 400 NHL games played, 230+points, 63 playoff games for 26 points. Younger, more of a complete player that can play anywhere in the top 9,  more grit. 5.250mil for 4 more years, 60+ points?

Gusev, 5"11 176lbs, Signed 2 contracts for 3 years in term for 10mil without ever playing a game. 4.5million for 2 years for what 30-45points?

Bad comparables IMO with the 2.

With his cap hit and assets required the miller trade is better. 

• Upvote 2

This is an excellent gamble for New Jersey. Gusev could be another Panarin or Dadonov. Dadonov is a 70 point player and Gusev put up notably better numbers at the same age so he could be a high end first liner ... for a 2nd & 3rd round pick and 4.5 million. Totally worth it. 

15 hours ago, Baer. said:

Why? Because you've never heard of him?

No, I've heard of him.  But just because you're an all-star in the KHL doesn't mean it'll translate into the NHL.  It's a risk.  If you can't see it as a risk, you have a lot of money to spend.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Ferland-Horvat-(Pearson/Leivo/Bearcheese)

Hall-Hughes-Palmeiri

Gusev-Hischier-Simmonds

Hard to say which top six is better. Might get burned for this, but I'll definitely say NJ has more skill in that top six, but our top six is a lot harder to play against (Miller/Ferland/Horvat).