The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Missed NHL Moments

Rate this topic

Kragar

I was watching NHL network yesterday, and saw a commercial for the Howe Gretzky exhibition.  It showed a clip of Orr's iconic goal, and then an old guy holding a picture of the scene.  He was at the game, with a seat right behind the net, with an awesome view.

Except, he was in the bathroom when it happened.  That has to sting a little (although having your team win the Cup will cure a lot of pain)

That got me to thinking of watching the 94 series, and how, back before DVRs, the Canucks had gone up 2-0 in a game, and my poor dad had gone to the can both times the Canucks scored.  He didn't like my suggestion of him staying in there.  I thought his choice lacked significant dedication to his team!

Anyhow, I thought I would start a nice memory lane thread for those of you with similar stories.

P.S. Mods, I wasn't sure where the best place for this would be.  Around the NHL seemed best, but please move it as needed.

• Upvote 2

Mine is not NHL, but close enough...

I worked at Canada Hockey Place for the 2010 Olympics.  As part of my role, sometimes we worked inside, sometimes outside.  For the men's Gold medal game, we had to work outside.

Luckily, there was a huge screen on the side of the Ontario pavilion across the street, so we could keep an eye on the game.  The only problem was, the feed was on about a 6 second delay.  We would hear the arena erupt any time something big happened and then we could turn to see what happened on the big screen.  The day had been kind of dreary, weather wise.  Then, for OT the sun came out and the glare made it close to impossible to see the screen.  We heard the roof come off the arena when Iggy Crosby scored, but couldn't see the play on the big screen.

So close to being there, without really being there.

Edit:  Corrected my brain fart.

Edited by goalie13
  • Upvote 1

I watch every single Canada game during the 2010 Winter Olympics, but missed the most important moment: Crosby's gold medal goal... due to it going to overtime and myself having to go on the road for a previous commitment. Heard the goal on the radio though. Honked the horn a few times when I was at a red light. People just stared at me with confusion on their face. 

I know this is more of a missed Olympic moment, but they were all NHL players in there so it should count.

:gocan:

2 hours ago, goalie13 said:

I worked at Canada Hockey Place for the 2010 Olympics.  As part of my role, sometimes we worked inside, sometimes outside.  For the men's Gold medal game, we had to work outside.

Luckily, there was a huge screen on the side of the Ontario pavilion across the street, so we could keep an eye on the game.  The only problem was, the feed was on about a 6 second delay.  We would hear the arena erupt any time something big happened and then we could turn to see what happened on the big screen.  The day had been kind of dreary, weather wise.  Then, for OT the sun came out and the glare made it close to impossible to see the screen.  We heard the roof come off the arena when Iggy scored, but couldn't see the play on the big screen.

So close to being there, without really being there.

My dad was doing security for many of the hockey games then.  I seem to recall he was saying similar things about the delay. Can't remember if he was working that day or not, though.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Ditto

Edit: sorry, phone let me down... this was supposed to be an edit to my earlier post about being open to Olympic moments

Edited by Kragar

I have a big tldr story of ALMOST missing the dragon slay game.

In a nutshell:  Tire blew as I frantically drove home from Surrey to Richmond at 6:15 pm.

Caught the anthem and Burr's first goal on the radio as I sat, broken down, on the side of the road.  Early onset PTSD was setting in.  Thank God I managed to get home in time to catch most of the game.  I don't know if therapy could have helped me if I hadn't.

• Haha 1

On 8/1/2019 at 7:59 PM, debluvscanucks said:

In a nutshell:  Tire blew as I frantically drove home from Surrey to Richmond at 6:15 pm.

Caught the anthem and Burr's first goal on the radio as I sat, broken down, on the side of the road.  Early onset PTSD was setting in.  Thank God I managed to get home in time to catch most of the game.  I don't know if therapy could have helped me if I hadn't.

That would have been insane, esp knowing how big a Burr fan you are.

• Upvote 1

On 8/1/2019 at 7:59 PM, debluvscanucks said:

game-7-burrows-ot.gif

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, chon derry said:

game-7-burrows-ot.gif

So good to see you, welcome back!!   

AND this GIF...that I will never get tired of!  When I did finally get home I was amped....watching the game, my emotional self was "all in".  My daughter caught the moment on video...but got me reacting to it too.  Sitting on the floor right in front of the TV, sobbing.  Hilarious.  I didn't know it until she showed me later.  Glorious.

I had the opportunity to see a playoff game (my first/only ever) versus the Hawks...this shot was right before Burr blasted a shot at the glass, knocking my water bottle off the ledge.  Apparently you're not supposed to put stuff there.  Cheeky.

image.png

Annnd, chirping the Hawks pre game.  Awesome.

image.png

(Was a good run...despite falling short of the cup)

• Like 1