Canucks Community

Greatest Canuck Game of all time

Rate this topic

Darius

Offhand, I want to say...

Game 7 vs Calgary, 1994

Game 6 vs Rangers, 1994

Game 1 vs Rangers, 1994 - the Kirk McLean show

There was a game around 1992 in the regular season where they beat the Flames 11-0 I think.

Kirk McLean's 45(?)-save shutout against the Canadiens that made Patrick Roy call it the best game he'd ever seen a goalie play.

What else.

Cliff Ronning riding his stick in overtime against the Kings in the playoffs, I want to say 1992.  Felt like the Cup was on its way in that moment.

I'm kind of partial to Dave Babych's hat trick (only one ever by a Canuck d-man, but it wasn't that legendary as a game itself)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Offhand, I want to say...

Game 7 vs Calgary, 1994

Game 6 vs Rangers, 1994

Game 1 vs Rangers, 1994 - the Kirk McLean show

There was a game around 1992 in the regular season where they beat the Flames 11-0 I think.

Kirk McLean's 45(?)-save shutout against the Canadiens that made Patrick Roy call it the best game he'd ever seen a goalie play.

What else.

Cliff Ronning riding his stick in overtime against the Kings in the playoffs, I want to say 1992.  Felt like the Cup was on its way in that moment.

I'm kind of partial to Dave Babych's hat trick (only one ever by a Canuck d-man, but it wasn't that legendary as a game itself)

Both game 7’s against Calgary are legendary but “the Save” followed by Bures goal was something else and made up for 89.  Calgary was a great team still, it made the next two series seem easy in comparison.  Great post!

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Darius said:

Good point. There’s been a lot of really great regular season games. 

Just to start...

Besides that first game vs Boston the year after the scf there was a game vs Detroit that stands out in my mind.  I believe it was during the WCE era and the Canucks beat Detroit on the road while Detroit was still a powerhouse. It was like a statement game that showed they were legit and could hang with the big boys. 

Anybody remember the year?

Maybe you're thinking of a game we played in January 1992 in Detroit. That Canucks team was just coming of age and Detroit was a powerhouse. It was billed as a possible Western final and it did not disappoint. .........

NHL ROUNDUP : Canucks Win Showdown, 3-1

Jan. 24, 1992
12 AM
From Associated Press

If everything goes according to form, the Vancouver Canucks and Detroit Red Wings could end up playing in the Campbell Conference finals in May.

Judging from their two meetings this season, it could be a great series.

The Canucks beat the Red Wings, 2-1, at Vancouver on Dec. 17, and Thursday night at Detroit, defenseman Jyrki Lumme’s spectacular tiebreaking goal with 53 seconds left powered Vancouver to a 3-1 victory.

“We knew our team could play well, but wins like these are building blocks,” Vancouver Coach Pat Quinn said after the Canucks set a team record with their fourth consecutive victory. “We showed a lot of grit and poise under pressure.”

Advertisement

Lumme’s goal took the Norris Division-leading Red Wings by surprise. He got the puck at the blue line, went around Gerard Gallant and Nicklas Lidstrom, then put a shot over goalie Tim Cheveldae for his 11th goal.

“When I got the puck, (Gallant) came right at me, which made it easy to go around him,” Lumme said. “Then I was looking to pass, but (Lidstrom) broke away from me, and (Cheveldae) came flying at me, and gave me a great opening.

“This was a huge win for us. It was like a playoff game out there.”

Pavel Bure added an empty-net goal with four seconds left and Kirk McLean made 35 saves for the Canucks, who have beaten Winnipeg, Edmonton and Quebec on this trip. They finish in St. Louis on Saturday night.

The Canucks seem certain to end their NHL-record streak of 15 non-winning seasons as they head toward the Smythe Division title.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I want to throw an  honourable mention out there for March 1, 1992.

Canucks 11 - Calgary 0

https://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/199203010VAN.html

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/trip-down-canuckery-lane-vancouver-11-calgary-0

Look at that game summary. 6 fights in total. Including 3 in the first period before a single goal was scored in an 11-0 rout.

summary.jpg

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I want to throw an  honourable mention out there for March 1, 1992.

Canucks 11 - Calgary 0

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/trip-down-canuckery-lane-vancouver-11-calgary-0

Big Serge.  2 Shots, 2 Goals.  2 Assists, +5, 7 penalty minutes (including fighting major to start the night).

They need to develop some new Gordie Howe *Something* for that kind of performance.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Look at that game summary. 6 fights in total. Including 3 in the first period before a single goal was scored in an 11-0 rout.

Crazy, eh?

I wasn't at the game but I remember watching it with my cousin from a pub here in Victoria.  We just couldn't believe what we were watching.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Maybe you're thinking of a game we played in January 1992 in Detroit. That Canucks team was just coming of age and Detroit was a powerhouse. It was billed as a possible Western final and it did not disappoint. .........

NHL ROUNDUP : Canucks Win Showdown, 3-1

Jan. 24, 1992
12 AM
From Associated Press

If everything goes according to form, the Vancouver Canucks and Detroit Red Wings could end up playing in the Campbell Conference finals in May.

Judging from their two meetings this season, it could be a great series.

The Canucks beat the Red Wings, 2-1, at Vancouver on Dec. 17, and Thursday night at Detroit, defenseman Jyrki Lumme’s spectacular tiebreaking goal with 53 seconds left powered Vancouver to a 3-1 victory.

“We knew our team could play well, but wins like these are building blocks,” Vancouver Coach Pat Quinn said after the Canucks set a team record with their fourth consecutive victory. “We showed a lot of grit and poise under pressure.”

Advertisement

Lumme’s goal took the Norris Division-leading Red Wings by surprise. He got the puck at the blue line, went around Gerard Gallant and Nicklas Lidstrom, then put a shot over goalie Tim Cheveldae for his 11th goal.

“When I got the puck, (Gallant) came right at me, which made it easy to go around him,” Lumme said. “Then I was looking to pass, but (Lidstrom) broke away from me, and (Cheveldae) came flying at me, and gave me a great opening.

“This was a huge win for us. It was like a playoff game out there.”

Pavel Bure added an empty-net goal with four seconds left and Kirk McLean made 35 saves for the Canucks, who have beaten Winnipeg, Edmonton and Quebec on this trip. They finish in St. Louis on Saturday night.

The Canucks seem certain to end their NHL-record streak of 15 non-winning seasons as they head toward the Smythe Division title.

Bingo!  excellent memory....

i had confused ( in the haze of my ol age i had confused this with the WCE team for some reason). All i remember was this was a statement game that showed the canucks were on an upward trajectory and the team had arrived.  For some reason I have filed it away in my memory as one of the greatest regular season games. Highly skilled back and forth.   Now that i read this I can almost remember Lumme walking in on goal!

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Crazy, eh?

I wasn't at the game but I remember watching it with my cousin from a pub here in Victoria.  We just couldn't believe what we were watching.  

I think it was the game where Diduck fought Paul Kruse?  I remember it as a series of hay makers from both guys where i was cringing...ouch....

Edit : yup...here is the penalty summary! what a gong show.  Certainly one of the most memorable games of all time as a Canuck fan (oops just realized that this was posted above too)

EDIT 2: here is the fight....man you can find anything on youtube these days! Look at Kruse's hair...looks like he belongs in that jersey...lol

Edited by Darius

8 minutes ago, Darius said:

Bingo!  excellent memory....

i had confused ( in the haze of my ol age i had confused this with the WCE team for some reason). All i remember was this was a statement game that showed the canucks were on an upward trajectory and the team had arrived.  For some reason I have filed it away in my memory as one of the greatest regular season games. Highly skilled back and forth.   Now that i read this I can almost remember Lumme walking in on goal!

I searched youtube but sadly could not find a highlite.

I did manage to find the box score though.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/199201230DET.html

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

The game in Montreal where the home fans gave a standing ovation to Kirk as he skated out as the first star.

Edited by gurn
spelling
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Remember the butterflies before the game started in 94, by then it was starting to look like destiny, after the game I was pretty certain we were going to win game seven, felt like we had them on the ropes.   What a game.

I remember those kinds of butterflies.  I haven't felt those little creatures in my guts for such a long time now. A tiny flutter in 2015 when the series was 3 - 2 for the Flames, and we had a 3 - 0 lead in the first period in game 6, hoping to tie the series.   Then the Flamers came back to win it 7 - 4, and take the last series we've been in.  Then those little flying bugs migrated south. I  miss those little guys.

• Haha 2

For me, the dragon slay...I was so all in for that one.  Don't get me wrong...'94 had some huge moments too but this one is freshest and ingrained in my heart.

In '94, I shared the experience with my son and the overall playoffs were something so incredibly special. 

The "he will play game" still gives me goosebumps.  Uh-oh, here we go.

• Cheers 1