The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

World Juniors Summer Showcase - FIN 8 CAN 3 - Utunen/Focht/Woo

Rate this topic

Dazzle

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/utunen-scores-two-woo-struggles-as-canucks-prospects-face-off-at-world-junior-summer-showcase

Utunen is looking more and more like a big game player. Utunen was the player who scored the game winner for FIN and eliminated CAN on its home turf. Really glad we drafted him.

As for the loss, it is a really bad one, but Canada didn't ice its best roster.

Focht is this year's Canucks' pick.

Woo was last year's pick and was on the ice for at least 2 goals, according to the article. I didn't watch the game but I'm sure it was a team loss rather than an individual one.

One thing we can say is that the Canucks scouting is UNDOUBTEDLY the best we've EVER had.

Toni Utunen: Canuck killer.

Vancouver’s 2018 5th-rounder continued his unsolicited assault on Team Canada, scoring twice and assisting on another goal as Team Finland romped through the Canadians 8-3 Wednesday at the World Junior Summer Showcase tournament in Plymouth, Michigan.

Utunen, drafted as a smooth-skating, puck-moving defensive prospect, opened the scoring at 1:33 of the first period with a seeing-eye floater from the nether regions of the offensive zone.

The slightly-undersized D-man, who had one goal and two assists in 43 games last season for Tappara of Finland’s top-tier Sm-Liiga, also showcased his plus-sized defensive prowess in the game, forcing a Canadian forward to go wide before laying out in front to block a Grade-A scoring chance.

The 19-year-old was a plus-5 for Tappara last season.

Utunen also rounded out the scoring for the Finns, wristing in a shot from the slot after a dandy dish from a teammate.

One can only imagine Canucks GM Jim Benning nodding his jet black mane in approval.

As you may (or may not want to) recall, it was Utunen who scored the overtime winner against fellow Canucks goalie prospect Mike DiPietro and Team Canada at the World Junior Championship tournament in Vancouver earlier this year.

Canucks prospect Jett Woo, who was unceremoniously left off that Canadian squad by his former WHL head coach Tim Hunter, appeared in today’s game — though he may wish he sat this one out too.

Woo, who signed a three-year, entry-level contract with the Canucks in March after a dynamic season in Moose Jaw, was on the ice for at least a couple of Finnish goals, though he did register an assist and didn’t take a penalty.

The 19-year-old, who was traded to the Calgary Hitmen in May, had 66 points in 62 games last season. It was a breakout offensive year for a defenceman, who was drafted for his hard-hitting, stay-at-home game.

But let’s cut Woo some slack: he’s coming off minor knee surgery which caused him to skate on his own during the Canucks’ development camp earlier this month.

Another Canucks prospect, the fresh-faced 2019 fifth-rounder Carson Focht, lined up as the No. 1 centre for Canada on Wednesday, though he didn’t register a point.

Focht, 19, had 64 points (26 G, 38 A) last season for the Hitmen. He also had nine points in 11 playoff games.

Canada did not ice its strongest lineup in the blowout loss, with a number of top players not dressing, including Vancouver Giants standout defenceman Bowen Byram.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 8/1/2019 at 7:15 PM, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

BUT!!.. The important questions are:

How did GM JB &^@# up???

and...

How is GM KD a cap wizard after this?

You forgot asking the prospects what they thought of Loui Eriksson's, comments. Travis Green's diet? And whether Jim Benning uses Grecian formula...

You know, the hard hitting questions...

• Cheers 1

Carson Focht getting another look at another prominent position, centering Canada's second line today against the US.

How does one actually pronounce his name?  I get the jokes that people make but I've heard several different pronunciations of Focht from FOH-TE, FOLK, FOUGHT?

On 8/3/2019 at 12:17 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Carson Focht getting another look at another prominent position, centering Canada's second line today against the US.

How does one actually pronounce his name?  I get the jokes that people make but I've heard several different pronunciations of Focht from FOH-TE, FOLK, FOUGHT?

I know it can be a confusing... But to your defence, his name is completely Fawk-T.

.... I'm 46 and yet I just can't resist... However, I still laugh at fart jokes so...:P