The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Michael Stone (Buyout)

So much sense on this one. Obviously needing to lock up Tkachuk made this necessary. As for their defence, they’re fine. Gio, Brodie, Andersson, Hanifin, Hamonic, Valimaki. Stone was 100% expendable. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Monty said:

So much sense on this one. Obviously needing to lock up Tkachuk made this necessary. As for their defence, they’re fine. Gio, Brodie, Andersson, Hanifin, Hamonic, Valimaki. Stone was 100% expendable. 

interesting that they couldn't move him for anything, even 1/2 retained. 

21 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I know he was injured for a huge portion of last season. Although, I’m not sure the extent to how bad it was, and may affect him long term. Even though he’s currently healthy. Perhaps @D-Money may know.

Otherwise, I’m sure it’s like every other team right now. Cap space is at such a premium that teams are not too eager to help out clubs who desperately need to shed salary. Look at the Leafs. They had to give away a first round pick for another team to take Marleau and then buy him out. Pretty sure the Flames aren’t looking to give away picks.

• Upvote 1

Expendable, plus Calgary in a bit of a cap crunch...

I posted this in the Rittick thread a few days ago...

“If they waive Dube and Gillies their cap space reaches $6.198m

They probably buy out Stone and save themselves another $2.333m

Total space would become $8.531m

Mangiapane may sign for about $1m

This leaves $7.5m for Tkachuk.

This will only give them 13 F, 7 D, 2 G on the roster.

All quite do-able. Definitely going to be a problem if they have injuries tho”

Would $7.5m be a bridge deal for Tkachuk? Or will they sign him long term for that kind of amount?

10 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Expendable, plus Calgary in a bit of a cap crunch...

I posted this in the Rittick thread a few days ago...

“If they waive Dube and Gillies their cap space reaches $6.198m

They probably buy out Stone and save themselves another $2.333m

Total space would become $8.531m

Mangiapane may sign for about $1m

This leaves $7.5m for Tkachuk.

This will only give them 13 F, 7 D, 2 G on the roster.

All quite do-able. Definitely going to be a problem if they have injuries tho”

Would $7.5m be a bridge deal for Tkachuk? Or will they sign him long term for that kind of amount?

Kadri confirmed that he refused to waive his no trade to go to Calgary - it's believed that the main return was Brodie.  He's probably still on the block.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Kadri confirmed that he refused to waive his no trade to go to Calgary - it's believed that the main return was Brodie.  He's probably still on the block.  

Wow, this would make their blue line incredibly young and quite short on both experience and depth for a supposed contender. I wonder if they had a plan to replace Brodie via another trade? And perhaps that ship has sailed..

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Monty said:

I know he was injured for a huge portion of last season. Although, I’m not sure the extent to how bad it was, and may affect him long term. Even though he’s currently healthy. Perhaps @D-Money may know.

Otherwise, I’m sure it’s like every other team right now. Cap space is at such a premium that teams are not too eager to help out clubs who desperately need to shed salary. Look at the Leafs. They had to give away a first round pick for another team to take Marleau and then buy him out. Pretty sure the Flames aren’t looking to give away picks.

I was thinking more along the lines of retaining 1/2 and the Flames  getting a 7th or an AHL body, something like that, but you're right things are a bit mercenary for the bubble guys right now. Look at Hutty, I thought for sure he'd have a 1 year deal at least by now. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Look at Hutty, I thought for sure he'd have a 1 year deal at least by now. 

Yeah, it’s really strange to see him still without a contract. However, much like Gardiner, I think it’s not that teams haven’t been calling (and offering), but more that teams who have RFAs yet to sign aren’t yet wanting to put pen to paper until those contracts are solidified. 

For example, I’ve heard that the Jets have some interest in Hutton. However, if they were to sign him now, that puts their bargaining power with Laine and Connor at serious risk, and open to an offer sheet. While they are open to one now, they have the cap space to match an offer for either. Sign Hutton, and there’s some serious issues for them. But that’s assuming the talk of the Jets interested in him is true to begin with. And if so, perhaps it’s a “once we sort out those guys, we’ll offer you something in ‘this range’.” But until then, obviously that’s not stopping another team from offering something. So yeah, surprising a team hasn’t plucked him up.

Gardiner’s case is different, from what I’ve heard. Perhaps I shouldn’t have lumped him in earlier. Word is that his injury problem from last year has teams not wanting to commit term, which is the sticking point for any deal getting done with him.

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Same could be said of Shattenkirk.  I mean, you couldn't move the player, with half retained, and no expectation other than future considerations?  Really?  Did you even try?  Hell, I'll trade Stone, C-level prospect, for anything....c'mon!  I'll fill your pepsi machine in the lobby for a year too!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

saves 2.3 mil for this year, so maybe they're close to a bridge deal with Tkatpuke. 

That's the best nickname I've seen in a while. 

From now on I'll be referring to him as that

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Not sure how a depth guy on the market would decrease the value of a top 4 d-man. Lol.

Plan B = Shattenkirk, plan C = Stone, etc.

More RD's out there means more options for teams if they decide the price is too high otherwise. Supply and demand.

Buffalo has 4 respectable RD, something's gotta give.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Plan B = Shattenkirk, plan C = Stone, etc.

More RD's out there means more options for teams if they decide the price is too high otherwise. Supply and demand.

Buffalo has 4 respectable RD, something's gotta give.

The top 4 RD supply is still low. Even if you added 100 Shattenkirks into Free agency. If anybody said to Buffalo "lower your price, or we'll get Michael Stone" they'll just laugh in your face and say "go ahead".

• Haha 1