The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Buy out Baer?

Rate this topic

iceman64

Was thinking of what must be going on in JB's head as he seems confident on squeaking under the cap, I looked on cap friendly and and it pretty much has Sven's buy out would save us 1.7 mil and add 5 mil should sign Brock for 6.7 and solve the  cap issue no? Makes one wonder if that's his contingency plan if he can't unload LE... 

Pretty sure Brock would sign a deal if that was on the table as 1st year starting salary then up from then on?

Ok so was brought up it's too late for a buy out but there's always salary retention in a trade. 

I like the guy but also concerned that if he gets clocked one more time really hard then it might turn out a disaster for him in (life) and I'd hate to see a Malhotra ish scenario play out.. plus we already have enough lower paid guys for 3rd line that fits budget 

Edited by iceman64
  • Wat 13

19 minutes ago, brownky said:

We can't buy out anybody this season anymore anyway. Buyout period has passed, and we were not eligible for the second one as we had no players in salary arbitration.

So it's all moot anyway.

Well shi_..  he still has me puzzled on how he's gauranteed it almost to get it done, is he that confident LE will be gone? I doubt it..  maybe a roster player for a pic? Still need at least 1.5 - 2 mill to sign Brock.. 

Edited by iceman64
  • Wat 5

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

There is no cap issue.  Canucks have 5 million in capspace with a 24 man roster.  Need to cut 2 players to fit Boeser in, leaving them with about 7 million.  More than enough for a bridge deal.

Ok so who is your two? And what if no one wants them? 

• Wat 6

2 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Shaller and either Biega, Goldobin, Eriksson, or anyone who has a really poor camp. No one needs to want them, they get sent to Utica. When you send a player to the minors 1.025 million of their salary comes off the cap. If their salary is under 1.025, it all comes off. That leaves us with over about 7.15 million for Boeser. (Before putting Roussel's 3M on LTIR

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Blows my mind that people are willing to consider waiving a proven top six forward.

How many teams in the NHL do you think Baer would actually make the top six on? I'm not even sure he would make in on the Canucks top six now. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, smokes said:

How many teams in the NHL do you think Baer would actually make the top six on? I'm not even sure he would make in on the Canucks top six now. 

He could literally crack the top 6 on any  team. Not because he's a bonafide elite 2nd liner (that's not what I'm saying) and that other options wouldn't be able to push him to 3LW. But look at a team like Pittsburgh who has a history of spreading out their talent and placing passengers like Baertschi beside Malkin and Crosby. That enables teams to make great offensive 3rd lines which are super hard to defend as any of those 3 lines can take advantage of a mismatches against bottom pairings. 

Any top team that would try to do that could afford to place Baertschi in their top 6, and a lot of bottom feeders as well like Edmonton, Ottawa, Buffalo etc... would gladly take him in their top 6. 

The issue has never been his skill, he's a great top 6 forward, we've just unfortunately gotten to the point where his head injuries are extremely concerning for the future. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

It’s an option, which I think was the main point he was making.

Baer is a cripple and a roster liability at this point. If it’s not concussions, it’s always something else it seems. Baer, Tanev and Sutter need to find new homes that way

A buy-out option is undesirable, but still an option, if and when JB needs one. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Schaller is a no brainer, there’s one million and even if he’s it and we get penalized for going over the cap it means we have a shortened bench by one game/one guy  -  a regular occurrence anyways given how many games the teams had to play with a guy going down in the first period over the last five years - ha ha, then Roussell goes on long term and Benning has a few months to show case players to get a trade done - maybe even Bear.   I hate buyouts, all it does is cripple our cap over twice the period.  That said sometimes I can see it’s needed - just don’t think this is one of them.

Edited by IBatch