The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Buy out Baer?

Rate this topic

iceman64

buyouts only make sense when you're so cornered there's no other option. In this case it makes no sense at all. If we're that desperate to move him we'd get a good asset back if you retained 1/2 his salary vs paying for him for the next 4 years. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, smokes said:

How many teams in the NHL do you think Baer would actually make the top six on? I'm not even sure he would make in on the Canucks top six now. 

If healthy I see him as a top six as well. He looked great last year before going down. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

If healthy I see him as a top six as well. He looked great last year before going down. 

Agreed, the only thing that’s worrisome about Bear is concussions - and that means he goes on long term and he cap relief (worse case too).   I wouldn’t say he’s no longer part of our plans as he offers depth and still some interesting upside (he’s not the best version of himself yet) and should either add some scoring touch to the third line or top six depending on what chart(s) TG goes with - at the same time he’s low hanging fruit for a trade to a team looking for extra depth in the middle six too....which is why we should play him until a teams comfortable enough to take the risk given his history at the very least, if not just let him stay and be a regular contributor.    The days of trying to squeeze lemonade out of lemons are over and he was one small bright light during that time, who knows what will happen but either way he will help the team somehow.

• Upvote 1

Also not sure what people are expecting from Baertschi considering he's missed 112 games over the past 4 years.  Do you really think after all that he can come in and play a full 82 games for the next 2 years?  I highly doubt it.  As Bertuzzi would say "it is what it is".  Baertschi can't stay healthy, it wasn't just one season, it's been going on for 4 years now.  I don't see how he can stay healthy moving forward and as such can't really be relied upon in a top 6 role.  3rd line for sure, but he's an expensive 3rd line player with no physicality to his game.  Not sure he would be the type of player that would last on a 3rd line if he can't be physical and can't stay healthy.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No he's not in our top 6...

Ferland   Pettersson   Boeser

Miller       Horvat         Pearson

Leivo       Sutter          Virtanen

I'd also rather have Leivo and Virtanen on the 3rd line as they are more heavy players that can make up a good hard nosed checking 3rd line.  Baertschi has great skill but I don't see how it would translate playing with Sutter and Virtanen.  

We can certainly fit Baertschi under the cap to start the year as Roussel will be going on LTIR.  The problem is when he gets back what happens.  Roussel is also an option on a hard nosed 3rd line.  It all depends what we do with Goldobin and also if MacEwen can crack the lineup this year and be a hard nosed tough 4th line contributor.  If that happens then there is definitely no room for Baertschi.  I'm sure we can get something in a trade for him, we wouldn't need to put him on waivers.  

I somewhat disagree that Baer couldn't play with Sutter and Virtanen. Both are hard nosed, shoot first players. Baer is a skilled playmaker with underrated speed (to keep up with Virtanen). Having a playmaker like that on the wing may lead to less chances of the puck going to die on that line. Also, Baer isn't a perimeter player like some think and is willing to get into the dangerous zones (hence his injuries). I think having Baer and Virtanen on the 3rd line creates 3 scoring lines.

Leaves Leivo, Beagle, Ericksson, Motte, Schaller for the 4th line. what a terrible problem to have. 

• Cheers 1

I'd also rather have Leivo and Virtanen on the 3rd line as they are more heavy players that can make up a good hard nosed checking 3rd line.  Baertschi has great skill but I don't see how it would translate playing with Sutter and Virtanen.  

We can certainly fit Baertschi under the cap to start the year as Roussel will be going on LTIR.  The problem is when he gets back what happens.  Roussel is also an option on a hard nosed 3rd line.  It all depends what we do with Goldobin and also if MacEwen can crack the lineup this year and be a hard nosed tough 4th line contributor.  If that happens then there is definitely no room for Baertschi.  I'm sure we can get something in a trade for him, we wouldn't need to put him on waivers.  

I agree with you completely with you on this one Elias

Sure Baer has skill, but I just wonder where he fits?

Ferland, Pearson, Leivo, Roussel, Schaller, Goldobin, and Motte

Certainly from what Benning is trying to achieve, which seems to be big, hard driving wingers...…….

Baer doesn't fit ???? In saying that, if he can't be moved at the start of the season, look for him to be playing with Bo to raise his stock

That or sitting in the press box, but personally I don't see that. 

That is the absolutely trouble with having good depth at a position...…….it forces people out...…………..it's not a bad thing!

• Upvote 2

You're assuming we have a healthy top six all year.  Injuries will happen and Baer will play in the top six a lot because of this.

12 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Was thinking of what must be going on in JB's head as he seems confident on squeaking under the cap, I looked on cap friendly and and it pretty much has Sven's buy out would save us 1.7 mil and add 5 mil should sign Brock for 6.7 and solve the  cap issue no? Makes one wonder if that's his contingency plan if he can't unload LE... 

Pretty sure Brock would sign a deal if that was on the table as 1st year starting salary then up from then on?

Ok so was brought up it's too late for a buy out but there's always salary retention in a trade. 

I like the guy but also concerned that if he gets clocked one more time really hard then it might turn out a disaster for him in (life) and I'd hate to see a Malhotra ish scenario play out.. plus we already have enough lower paid guys for 3rd line that fits budget 

We are completely good on cap, stop overthinking it, trust Benning.

• Haha 1

Time to trade him for whatever jim can get for him.

He has had one too many concussions to play in our top size where we have no spot for him with Miller & Pearson playing on the second line.

If he gets injured again he will go on permanent long term disability like Mark Savard.

So the buyout option only works if no other team is willing to trade for him.

He most likely is no other team is willing to trade for him but some would claim him off waivers.

I think the best is to find a trade partner, but unfortunately his value is the lowest right now. I think going forward with Baer is a 50/50 gamble, if he will be injured again it's a risk the Canucks will have to take first and see if he can stay healthy and raise his trade value, but at the same time he could get injured again and possibly be done for good and then have no value at all.

We'll have a good couple months for him to hopefully show he's healthy and playing well before Roussel's back and we can move one of him/Pearson/Leivo for actual value.

There's zero cap issues to sign Boeser.

The buyout window is also closed. The soonest we can buy ANYONE out, is next summer. Your whole thread is just wrong :lol:

• Cheers 1