The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Buy out Baer?

Rate this topic

iceman64

46 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Why would you trade Pearson? He is a versatile middle six forward that can play anywhere up and down the lineup and has chemistry with Horvat. He is exactly the type of support player that helps you win games. Trading him is completely unnecessary imo. 

I think that's making the assumption we will be sellers.  I don't think that will be the case.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, The_Rocket said:

those who don’t want to click the link, here are screen shots of the Roster:

am I wrong or did you not add the $3,000,000 recapture penalty . I think the league should forgive it anyway as Luongo is still involved with their organization

3 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Why would you trade Pearson? He is a versatile middle six forward that can play anywhere up and down the lineup and has chemistry with Horvat. He is exactly the type of support player that helps you win games. Trading him is completely unnecessary imo. 

Honestly I'd consider it depending on the return. We may have upped his value back up. Prior to us acquiring him, he was struggling mightily with two teams. We don't know what to expect next season. He had a strong finish, but we've seen that before with Leipsic for example in a small sample size. We don't need to trade him, but I'm open to the idea.

55 minutes ago, Nurnge said:

am I wrong or did you not add the $3,000,000 recapture penalty . I think the league should forgive it anyway as Luongo is still involved with their organization

Recap penalty, spooner buyout, and burried contracts (eriksson and schaller) are all included in this calculation

8 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

Recap penalty, spooner buyout, and burried contracts (eriksson and schaller) are all included in this calculation

Yeah and you've even got $33 461 of wiggle room assuming that Brock signs for exactly 7m and Goldy signs for exactly 1m ;)

17 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Was thinking of what must be going on in JB's head as he seems confident on squeaking under the cap, I looked on cap friendly and and it pretty much has Sven's buy out would save us 1.7 mil and add 5 mil should sign Brock for 6.7 and solve the  cap issue no? Makes one wonder if that's his contingency plan if he can't unload LE... 

Pretty sure Brock would sign a deal if that was on the table as 1st year starting salary then up from then on?

Ok so was brought up it's too late for a buy out but there's always salary retention in a trade. 

I like the guy but also concerned that if he gets clocked one more time really hard then it might turn out a disaster for him in (life) and I'd hate to see a Malhotra ish scenario play out.. plus we already have enough lower paid guys for 3rd line that fits budget 

I've already put this scenario out on another thread yesterday (this is barring other trades)

On 8/1/2019 at 9:40 AM, Chickenspear said:

We aren't really in any cap trouble, if you do the math... this is from the CBA.

Teams do not receive full cap relief when a player on a one-way NHL contract is reassigned to the American Hockey League, or is loaned to a team in another professional league. The players salary cap hit, minus the sum of the minimum NHL salary for the respective season and $375,000, still counts towards the team’s salary cap total. 
The cap hit relief is therefore equal to the minimum salary of the respective season + $375,000:

2014-15: $550,000 + $375,000 = $925,000

2015-16: $575,000 + $375,000 = $950,000

2016-17: $575,000 + $375,000 = $950,000

2017-18: $650,000 + $375,000 = $1,025,000

2018-19: $650,000 + $375,000 = $1,025,000

2019-20: $700,000 + $375,000 = $1,075,000

2020-21: $700,000 + $375,000 = $1,075,000

2021-22: $750,000 + $375,000 = $1,125,000

So our roster says 24 players under contract on our main roster (remaining cap space ~$5.05m), and we still have to sign Boeser and Goldy, which would bring us up to 26 players. If we sign Boeser at $7m, and Goldy on a 2 way contract at, say, $1.1m (hasn't really shown he's worth much more than that), that's a total of $8.1m, leaving us at $3.05m over the cap. Roster limits are between 21(lower) and 23(upper).

Players we can afford to send down + cap savings:

Louie ($1.075m)

Schaller ($1.075m)

Biega ($825k)

Goldy ($1.1m) 

=$4.075m - $3.05m = $1.025m in cap space with a 22 man roster.

With Roussel's cap hit starting the year on LTIR, that's $3m that doesn't count against our cap until he returns,(rumored Decemberish) back up to $4.025m in space, 21 man roster.

Seems pretty managable IMO. 

Switch some players around, whoever's playing well stays up while Roussel's injured, etc...

Edit: And to answer your proposition, no, I wouldn't buyout Baertschi.

Edited by Chickenspear

9 hours ago, zombieksa said:

I somewhat disagree that Baer couldn't play with Sutter and Virtanen. Both are hard nosed, shoot first players. Baer is a skilled playmaker with underrated speed (to keep up with Virtanen). Having a playmaker like that on the wing may lead to less chances of the puck going to die on that line. Also, Baer isn't a perimeter player like some think and is willing to get into the dangerous zones (hence his injuries). I think having Baer and Virtanen on the 3rd line creates 3 scoring lines.

Leaves Leivo, Beagle, Ericksson, Motte, Schaller for the 4th line. what a terrible problem to have. 

Well let's see what he does the next time he's in the corners or in front of the net.  If you don't think his concussion injuries will affect his thought process to "muck" it up then you are kidding yourself.  I watched him play last year after he came back.  He looked very hesitant on the ice.  In any event, over the last 4 years he has played a combined 112 games.  I don't see that getting any better.  He's going to be a guy that is in and out of the lineup.  That is his history.  He's never played a full season ever.  I'd rather have Leivo on that 3rd line or even Roussel and Goldobin as your 13th forward who can come in and out of the lineup while only making $1 million.  Baertschi would be an expensive 13th forward.

9 hours ago, King Heffy said:

You're assuming we have a healthy top six all year.  Injuries will happen and Baer will play in the top six a lot because of this.

Yes we will have injuries and players will be out.  And most likely Baertschi is the one with the injuries.  Goldobin can be a 13th forward and fill in the top 6 and Roussel can easily slot into the 3rd line or even move up into the top 6 for a short time.

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Also not sure what people are expecting from Baertschi considering he's missed 112 games over the past 4 years.  Do you really think after all that he can come in and play a full 82 games for the next 2 years?  I highly doubt it.  As Bertuzzi would say "it is what it is".  Baertschi can't stay healthy, it wasn't just one season, it's been going on for 4 years now.  I don't see how he can stay healthy moving forward and as such can't really be relied upon in a top 6 role.  3rd line for sure, but he's an expensive 3rd line player with no physicality to his game.  Not sure he would be the type of player that would last on a 3rd line if he can't be physical and can't stay healthy.

Expensive 3rd liner? We're paying Beagle 3 million to be a 4th liner. Baer is a value top 6 guy. I'd imagine he'd have a lot more room to play his super skilled game now that we have some talented power guys who will have his back. We don't have much RW depth after Virtanen so I'm thinking Ferland and Miller may be playing on that right side.

Almost every play Baer was involved in was a highlight reel goal. He makes something from nothing. He's also one of the few forwards along with Bo who've been mentored by the Sedins. I believe his character will help him push through these barriers and ultimately solidify himself as a top 6 forward.

Edited by Strombone
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Strombone said:

Expensive 3rd liner? We're paying Beagle 3 million to be a 4th liner. Baer is a value top 6 guy. I'd imagine he'd have a lot more room to play his super skilled game now that we have some talented power guys who will have his back. We don't have much RW depth after Virtanen so I'm thinking Ferland and Miller may be playing on that right side.

Almost every play Baer was involved in was a highlight reel goal. He makes something from nothing. He's also one of the few forwards along with Bo who've been mentored by the Sedins. I believe his character will help him push through these barriers and ultimately solidify himself as a top 6 forward.

We didn't sign Ferland and Miller to play on the 3rd line.  And Pearson has already scored over 20 goals in his career, has won a Stanley Cup and plays a hard nosed game.  There is no room for Baertschi in the top 6.  Can't understand why people cannot see this and think he is all of a sudden going to overcome all his injury problems and be a regular top 6 performer.  He's not solidifying himself for anything.  He needs to come into camp and be prepared to take a hit and play his game.  If he ends up being a perimeter player his career is over.

I'm not arguing his talent as he was a 13th overall pick.  The skill is there.  We have all seen it.  But if you can't stay healthy you can't play the game, it's pretty simple.  I'll give Baertschi the benefit of the doubt and see what he can do to start the year.  But my hunch is we won't be seeing him on the top 2 lines.  If I'm wrong I will admit it.  I just don't see it happening and the signings of Miller and Ferland also tells me Benning doesn't see it either.  

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

We are completely good on cap, stop overthinking it, trust Benning.

Absolutely.  If you don’t have cap issues your not trying hard enough GMs say.  Look what SJ just went through/going through, Vegas and TO.  They have/had serious headaches and lost good players this summer to try and keep under and TO isn’t done yet with Marner.  Van is  a cap team (no thanks to Luongo and LE) but we won’t lose anyone of consequence, where as these teams lost good - Horvat quality guys to keep themselves under while trying to stay competitive.   We lose a Schaller and we are fine, or put him and one other guy on waivers and to the minors.  That’s before Rousell is back.  Benning isn’t at all worried and neither should we.  Our real cap issues come after two seasons, then we likely will see a bit more pain and will have to pass on next tier guy(s) to squeeze under and then one more year things are fine and we can add - that’s when the best version of this team will be competing for division titles and long playoff runs.  Doubt JB or anyone else taking his place won’t see that and screw that up later.

• Upvote 3