The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Buy out Baer?

Rate this topic

iceman64

I can't believe some just can't let go of our fringe players even when the GM has gone out and bought replacements. If players such as Baert, Goldy etc. were what we needed then why the replacements(FA's)? 

I think he has been already and will continue to be "shopped" and he eventually will be traded. Goldy the same if the team decides to give him a contract. 

These guys have some great attributes but they also lack others, hence why they are not relied upon. Stech will be next when he gets outplayed by some up and comers as he has now been pushed further down the pecking order. 

This is how it works. The cream rises to the top and the rest will be replaced. This is the natural progression of things. Some of you need to realize that.

• Upvote 1

On 8/2/2019 at 8:25 PM, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Why would you trade Pearson? He is a versatile middle six forward that can play anywhere up and down the lineup and has chemistry with Horvat. He is exactly the type of support player that helps you win games. Trading him is completely unnecessary imo. 

Thank you....

Pearson was one of the most exciting things to happen to this team after EP last season (and Quinns first few games). 

Will be bitterly disappointed if Pearson isn’t on the team to start the season. 

Can play second and third line position equally easy.

• Upvote 4

Think Baer with Bo and Miller/Ferland would be just what the doctor ordered. 

Pearson with Sutter and Jake likewise

For all the posts referring to his concussions, Crosby has had as many and he still fights for every puck. How about you let it play out in training camp, before you let go of a player, who has been a good fit with Horvat. 

Regarding Pearson, who was fantastic on Horvats wing, and who may still end up there again, as far as I remember he won his Stanley cups playing in the 3rd line. So he will be just as good, important in that position. 

With our history over the last few years with injuries, I don’t think shipping out top 6 or 9 players are the way forward, as long as they can be fitted in under the cap. That may change, but for now, I’m not so sure....

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I can't believe some just can't let go of our fringe players even when the GM has gone out and bought replacements. If players such as Baert, Goldy etc. were what we needed then why the replacements(FA's)? 

I think he has been already and will continue to be "shopped" and he eventually will be traded. Goldy the same if the team decides to give him a contract. 

These guys have some great attributes but they also lack others, hence why they are not relied upon. Stech will be next when he gets outplayed by some up and comers as he has now been pushed further down the pecking order. 

This is how it works. The cream rises to the top and the rest will be replaced. This is the natural progression of things. Some of you need to realize that.

Because Baertschi isn't a fringe player at all. The guy has produced and developped really well in his 4 years with us. He got blindsided and got a huge concussion, that's really unfortunate but doesn't discredit everything he has accomplished with us. Fringe players are more like Boucher, Biega, Motte, Gaunce, Hutton, Pouliot etc... Notice how most of them aren't on the club and nobody's complaining about it ?

Baertschi didn't play a lot last season, but when he did, he stood out. He was incredibly creative and made some really nice plays, and most importantly, he FINISHED plays. Dude scored 9 goals in 26 games, that's a 28 goal pace. The main thing people forget as well is how much Baertschi learned and developped on the defensive side of the puck as well. The dude is responsible. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Because Baertschi isn't a fringe player at all. The guy has produced and developped really well in his 4 years with us. He got blindsided and got a huge concussion, that's really unfortunate but doesn't discredit everything he has accomplished with us. Fringe players are more like Boucher, Biega, Motte, Gaunce, Hutton, Pouliot etc... Notice how most of them aren't on the club and nobody's complaining about it ?

Baertschi didn't play a lot last season, but when he did, he stood out. He was incredibly creative and made some really nice plays, and most importantly, he FINISHED plays. Dude scored 9 goals in 26 games, that's a 28 goal pace. The main thing people forget as well is how much Baertschi learned and developped on the defensive side of the puck as well. The dude is responsible. 

No way he shouldn’t get his spot back next to Horvat, I know Pearson had great chemistry too but he’s not as a creative player and that line needs one, plus Pearson can play a heavy role on the third line and chip in.  Actually the two can be swapped, Bear would also add some secondary scoring on that line too and is good away from the puck as well.  Horvats line took on the third lines responsibilities and did an admirable job, they could split the ozone starts more evenly and we could create a third line with more balanced scoring.  The odd man out is LE at this point....fourth line seems a distinct possibility.  But at least when a L winger goes down we can easily move things around with our newfound depth without calling up a career AHLer.  Where does NG go?  Nice to have good team problems now, instead of bad team problems ha ha.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

No way he shouldn’t get his spot back next to Horvat, I know Pearson had great chemistry too but he’s not as a creative player and that line needs one, plus Pearson can play a heavy role on the third line and chip in.  Actually the two can be swapped, Bear would also add some secondary scoring on that line too and is good away from the puck as well.  Horvats line took on the third lines responsibilities and did an admirable job, they could split the ozone starts more evenly and we could create a third line with more balanced scoring.  The odd man out is LE at this point....fourth line seems a distinct possibility.  But at least when a L winger goes down we can easily move things around with our newfound depth without calling up a career AHLer.  Where does NG go?  Nice to have good team problems now, instead of bad team problems ha ha.

I'm starting to think that the NG issue isn't really an issue at all. Our team history suggests that before November, as sad as it is, we will have an injured player, or multiple. This means that rotating the bottom 6 for the short term can be done, whether Goldy is the 13th F or not, and then eventually, we will need that 13th forward to complete the middle six. One of Goldy, Leivo, Motte etc... will start as 13th, but I don't expect them to miss too much action. Call it optimistic pessimism 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I really like how you point out the positives and leave out the negatives in his game. I am with you, he does have offensive skill ,however,the problem is that he cannot stay in the line up, ever, and he is considered a "soft" player compared to Pearson,Ferlund and Miller. Goldobin is the same, when he is on his game, great offensive talent, but he is soft and inconsistent. JB improved our top 6 with FA's.

Oh! people still complain about those players, believe me, I have heard it.

Baertchi is another one of those players that another club gave up on and he has been trying to get on steady here since then. Goldobin as well. They are being surpassed by others and unfortunately their time is coming to an end, as it is for most "fringe" players. ::D

4 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I really like how you point out the positives and leave out the negatives in his game. I am with you, he does have offensive skill ,however,the problem is that he cannot stay in the line up, ever, and he is considered a "soft" player compared to Pearson,Ferlund and Miller. Goldobin is the same, when he is on his game, great offensive talent, but he is soft and inconsistent. JB improved our top 6 with FA's.

Oh! people still complain about those players, believe me, I have heard it.

Baertchi is another one of those players that another club gave up on and he has been trying to get on steady here since then. Goldobin as well. They are being surpassed by others and unfortunately their time is coming to an end, as it is for most "fringe" players. ::D

If I packaged everything you just said, but relabeled Baer as legitimate instead of fringe, likely nobody would disagree with those comments.

Its summer-semantics for the lot of us on here...

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I'm starting to think that the NG issue isn't really an issue at all. Our team history suggests that before November, as sad as it is, we will have an injured player, or multiple. This means that rotating the bottom 6 for the short term can be done, whether Goldy is the 13th F or not, and then eventually, we will need that 13th forward to complete the middle six. One of Goldy, Leivo, Motte etc... will start as 13th, but I don't expect them to miss too much action. Call it optimistic pessimism 

They question really is what two guys will get sent down as we have too many signed forwards.   Schaller is one of them for sure...do they send Motte, Leivo, or NG down and if they do will one of them get picked up?  I think the likelihood is pretty high - EDM would pick NG up in a second, they still lack much of anything in their top nine after McDavid, Neal, Drasaitl and the Nuge and Goldy could get a great opportunity on their team.  Motte is the least likely to get picked up but someone might need his energy on their fourth line or as their 13th forward so you never know.   I think if NG is to get another shot the team plans to put LE in Utica until they can raise the stock of someone and make a trade.  And use him as an injury replacement or to replace NG if his last chance is used up,  Nobody was interested in anything outside our core last TDL...but would pick something up for free for sure if it fits to help their own injury situation or to add decent depth.

Injuries will undoubtedly occur, then the 13th press box guy(s) can slide in.  Once we have two forwards injured AG will get his turn again and by the time Rousell is back JB needs to move one guy and to keep things rolling without losing a guy for nothing possibly twice in three months.   I like Bear but the team might be planning to play him, raise his stock and then trade him for something else.  It’s impossible to say for sure what will happen and how things will go, but like I said with my last post JB now has good team problems instead of which AHLer/fringe player he should take a shot on next and Megna/Poilet like problems ha ha.

48 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I think if NG is to get another shot the team plans to put LE in Utica until they can raise the stock of someone and make a trade.  And use him as an injury replacement or to replace NG if his last chance is used up,  Nobody was interested in anything outside our core last TDL...but would pick something up for free for sure if it fits to help their own injury situation or to add decent depth.

Problem is (good problem maybe?) He would instantly be the best player in Utica, possibly the best in the AHL, and would be the first call-up.  So why humiliate him?  Keep him as the 13th forward, although based on his media comments in Sweden, he wouldn't relish the role of being a replacement on lines with different centers every game he played.

Baertschi is a different case.  He has become very responsible defensively, is creative offensively, and is one of our more effective power play forwards. While not heavy, he is gritty enough and wins his share of puck battles along the boards (even after his latest concussion he was absorbing hits in the corners and emerging with the puck).  I see him starting on Bo's line and would actually like to see BB06 reunited with them as the killer B's.

(And as someone said elsewhere, play Ferland and Miller with Petey. That would give him adequate protection, he'd shoot more and get his 50 goals, while each of them would likely pot 25 with Petey feeding them when he doesn't shoot)

Edited by Googlie
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

They question really is what two guys will get sent down as we have too many signed forwards.   Schaller is one of them for sure...do they send Motte, Leivo, or NG down and if they do will one of them get picked up?  I think the likelihood is pretty high - EDM would pick NG up in a second, they still lack much of anything in their top nine after McDavid, Neal, Drasaitl and the Nuge and Goldy could get a great opportunity on their team.  Motte is the least likely to get picked up but someone might need his energy on their fourth line or as their 13th forward so you never know.   I think if NG is to get another shot the team plans to put LE in Utica until they can raise the stock of someone and make a trade.  And use him as an injury replacement or to replace NG if his last chance is used up,  Nobody was interested in anything outside our core last TDL...but would pick something up for free for sure if it fits to help their own injury situation or to add decent depth.

Injuries will undoubtedly occur, then the 13th press box guy(s) can slide in.  Once we have two forwards injured AG will get his turn again and by the time Rousell is back JB needs to move one guy and to keep things rolling without losing a guy for nothing possibly twice in three months.   I like Bear but the team might be planning to play him, raise his stock and then trade him for something else.  It’s impossible to say for sure what will happen and how things will go, but like I said with my last post JB now has good team problems instead of which AHLer/fringe player he should take a shot on next and Megna/Poilet like problems ha ha.

I am betting training camp will decide a lot of the unknowns and you are probably right with the trade route for Baert. At this point he is an "extra" for our top six as is Goldy. Motte,Leivo and Schaller bottom six "extra's.

• Cheers 2

50 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I am betting training camp will decide a lot of the unknowns and you are probably right with the trade route for Baert. At this point he is an "extra" for our top six as is Goldy. Motte,Leivo and Schaller bottom six "extra's.

Yep...the days of Megna, Chaput, Boucher appears to be over, it’s nice for Utica too adding AG for a while and two more players that have played a decent number of NHL games and could still have a career in the bigs.    JB has added a lot of depth and if the injuries mount up it won’t make as much of an impact.

20 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep...the days of Megna, Chaput, Boucher appears to be over, it’s nice for Utica too adding AG for a while and two more players that have played a decent number of NHL games and could still have a career in the bigs.    JB has added a lot of depth and if the injuries mount up it won’t make as much of an impact.

Yes so glad we are out of that era that was a pretty painful time to be a Canuck fan for sure.

I really think with more depth the character will come out from these guys and the days of "floating" around the rink are over. No more "checking" as an option or "fore check " if you feel like it mentality.

I remember when we had players actually fighting in training camp. Good days are ahead and I hope the injury bug gives us a break for a change.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Yes so glad we are out of that era that was a pretty painful time to be a Canuck fan for sure.

I really think with more depth the character will come out from these guys and the days of "floating" around the rink are over. No more "checking" as an option or "fore check " if you feel like it mentality.

I remember when we had players actually fighting in training camp. Good days are ahead and I hope the injury bug gives us a break for a change.

If JV doesn’t have a fire under his ass this year I’m not sure he will ever work out the way we all hoped.   That’s ok as he’s proven to be a decent third liner.  With Ferland and Miller on the team and even Pearson and to a degree Bear back , his route to the top six is a much tougher one which is ok, that’s how it should be.  It’s great news as fans, we have a half dozen or so players in middle or bottom six that could score 15 plus goals.  People have already commented on how Ferland might be good for JV, he plays too much on the perimeter and doesn’t use his tool box effectively.    This could be his break out year, which would only further the cause.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, IBatch said:

If JV doesn’t have a fire under his ass this year I’m not sure he will ever work out the way we all hoped.   That’s ok as he’s proven to be a decent third liner.  With Ferland and Miller on the team and even Pearson and to a degree Bear back , his route to the top six is a much tougher one which is ok, that’s how it should be.  It’s great news as fans, we have a half dozen or so players in middle or bottom six that could score 15 plus goals.  People have already commented on how Ferland might be good for JV, he plays too much on the perimeter and doesn’t use his tool box effectively.    This could be his break out year, which would only further the cause.

Virt has to pick up his game this year.  He will have Podk coming along and displacing him soon enough.