The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Interview with Travis Green

Rate this topic

PhillipBlunt

On 8/3/2019 at 11:03 AM, stawns said:

can you imagine if he made a move to get Kass back?  Kass, Ferland, Roussel and Virtanen all on the same team?

imagine if they'd kept Gudbranson, brought in Ferland, Roussel, Benn, Miller - and Kassian....

Miller EP Boeser

Ferland Horvat Virtanen

Roussel Sutter Motte

Leivo Beagle Kassian

(Baertschi, LE, Goldy, Schaller)

Edler Tanev

Hughes Myers

Benn Gud

(Juolevi Stecher)

That would be fun to watch / nasty to play against.

A bit too bottlenecked at this point - no real room for Kass or Gud - but that would be one helluva grit-filled lineup for a change.

• Upvote 2

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 4:21 PM, RWMc1 said:

I'm not sure if players are subject to media availability at that tournament. He didn't pull an Avery and call the media to make a statement though. His mistake was being honest in his answers and not giving stock team game 110 % type answers. Now we know why players do that.

Also Green pretty much acknowledged that Loui had already made those thoughts known to him last season. I agree that it was a pretty big slip up and he should have known better. Those statements were never an issue for me. The reason I would like to move on from him is that he doesn't fit with our style of play and what is expected from our bottom six.

Maybe he will come back to camp better, stronger, and faster.

I see what you did there......Steve Austin 6 million dollar man......cool. ::D

• Thanks 1

I actually got some real insight into TG's thinking. He knows we need those players who can get into the corners and retrieve the puck and big bodies as noted in the playoffs. He wants those players who will do anything for the TEAM to succeed(Like Petey and Hughes).

These, IMO, is key ingredients to being successful. A hard working, hard fore checking, nose to the grind, team first mentality.

Who cares about the Loui drama let the "lady folks" chat about that.

Everyone seems on board on what is needed for success, including TG. Lets get this started already. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

Improving by 12-14 points sounds like a lot but when you say it's 2 points per month, it doesn't. 

As time passes, I get this feeling that Eriksson will remain on the team to start the season. Hopefully he will be motivated and perform beyond expectations.

It was a nice interview. 

• Upvote 1

Only caught some of it on the drive in.

Love that he addressed the fact that "playoffs are heavy" and commended JB for addressing that aspect of things.

Also love the light hearted stuff about Clouts trying to fight him from his playing days.

Got to work just as he was talking about Loui's comments...would love to hear how that went (if anyone else was listening)...

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I like what he's doing with this approach. At first I thought we should have been more decisive but I get it now.

It's really reflective of the overall approach as a team for the future and not rushing things, making sure we build things right.

This spreads out the leadership on the ground level and estsblishes a culture of shared leadership first. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I like what he's doing with this approach. At first I thought we should have been more decisive but I get it now.

It's really reflective of the overall approach as a team for the future and not rushing things, making sure we build things right.

This spreads out the leadership on the ground level and estsblishes a culture of shared leadership first. 

Always felt they rushed things with Naslund and just went with the highest scorer.  Liked Jovo better for it at the time.   H Sedin was fine, a great captain and player,  but I’m hoping this time they go with a N.A. guy.  We aren’t privy to what goes on in the dressing room and the outside optics have crowned Horvat the next C for two plus years... As a team we don’t have too many overall, they gave Luongo the C and it was a bad fit.  Maybe the same could be said of Horvat (I doubt it), but you have to wonder why it’s taking so long - as in the teams not completely sold on that selection and as in maybe he’s not interested (which is not a bad thing either - Bobby Clarke one of the greatest leaders ever denied the C twice before taking it) .   Would be surprised if it isn’t Horvat - but if it isn’t there will be a good reason for it.   

9 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

What we can take from that is that the captain will be a "him" and also that it's likely one of the younger guys (ruling out Edler, Tanev, and even Eriksson!).

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Always felt they rushed things with Naslund and just went with the highest scorer.  Liked Jovo better for it at the time.   H Sedin was fine, a great captain and player,  but I’m hoping this time they go with a N.A. guy.  We aren’t privy to what goes on in the dressing room and the outside optics have crowned Horvat the next C for two plus years... As a team we don’t have too many overall, they gave Luongo the C and it was a bad fit.  Maybe the same could be said of Horvat (I doubt it), but you have to wonder why it’s taking so long - as in the teams not completely sold on that selection and as in maybe he’s not interested (which is not a bad thing either - Bobby Clarke one of the greatest leaders ever denied the C twice before taking it) .   Would be surprised if it isn’t Horvat - but if it isn’t there will be a good reason for it.   

I am not too particular in who they pick, as long as the guy at least has a desire to win a Stanley Cup, just sayin. B)

2 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

“I’m surprised it became public.”

That comment by Green shows just how pissed he really is about Loui making the ice time and usage concerns public.  Green dealt with Loui all last season.  Now he has to deal with Loui whining this summer!  Plus, Travis knows there is zero chance of trading Loui.  Oh boy seeing Loui get sent to the minors will be lots of fun.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

“I’m surprised it became public.”

That comment by Green shows just how pissed he really is about Loui making the ice time and usage concerns public.  Green dealt with Loui all last season.  Now he has to deal with Loui whining this summer!  Plus, Travis knows there is zero chance of trading Loui.  Oh boy seeing Loui get sent to the minors will be lots of fun.

This Loui drama is getting old Alf, there is literally hundreds of pages on here saying the same thing over and over. He will be moved when the team can find the opportunity, end of story.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

This Loui drama is getting old Alf, there is literally hundreds of pages on here saying the same thing over and over. He will be moved when the team can find the opportunity, end of story.

I found Coach Green’s comments about Loui going public with the concerns over ice time and role very interesting.  To Travis this is not old (the public part) and it certainly appears to upset him. 

Loui, if he comes to camp, will be a huge distraction.  Green will be asked many questions every day about Loui.  That will be s problem for Green. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I found Coach Green’s comments about Loui going public with the concerns over ice time and role very interesting.  To Travis this is not old (the public part) and it certainly appears to upset him. 

Loui, if he comes to camp, will be a huge distraction.  Green will be asked many questions every day about Loui.  That will be s problem for Green. 

I didn't get the feeling he was upset. He said he was surprised it went public but he didn't seem, "up set". The "media" is what is going to make this out to be more but TG is far too smart to fall for their silliness. There are many other players that are going to be much more interesting to talk about this season then LE. 

Like I said, when JB is afforded an opportunity to move him, he will be moved.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I didn't get the feeling he was upset. He said he was surprised it went public but he didn't seem, "up set". The "media" is what is going to make this out to be more but TG is far too smart to fall for their silliness. There are many other players that are going to be much more interesting to talk about this season then LE. 

Like I said, when JB is afforded an opportunity to move him, he will be moved.

Who made Loui’s issues public?  Loui did.  Green dealt with Loui all last season privately.  Then this summer it was Loui who made his concerns public. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Who made Loui’s issues public?  Loui did.  Green dealt with Loui all last season privately.  Then this summer it was Loui who made his concerns public. 

TG said himself that he was frustrated. When players get like that it usually goes public. We have seen it before in professional sports and we will probably see it again it's not rocket science. Loui has always been an offensive player but he has  been deployed strictly as a defensive player for some time now. Whether it is warranted or not is a different discussion but in Loui's mind he was not deployed properly, hence the disagreement between him and his coach. That's it.