The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Interview with Travis Green

Rate this topic

PhillipBlunt

10 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I didn't get the feeling he was upset. He said he was surprised it went public but he didn't seem, "up set". The "media" is what is going to make this out to be more but TG is far too smart to fall for their silliness. There are many other players that are going to be much more interesting to talk about this season then LE. 

Like I said, when JB is afforded an opportunity to move him, he will be moved.

Agreed.  Not upset rather than disappointed.  This stuff doesn't need to get dragged thru the gutter with the media.  It's small potatoes.  Every player has issues to a point with his coach.  It's the nature of the beast.

11 hours ago, King Heffy said:

There is an opportunity; it's called Utica's press box.

I don't disagree with you the guy needs to be gone as he is the last of the "softies" , which I am not a big fan of. However, I am thinking of the team first.

We cannot have a guy who makes 6 million dollars sit in the minors for the next 3 years in this Cap Era. This would lesson the teams ability to field the best team possible. If no one wants him now, we need to showcase him in hopes that he can be traded by the deadline. 

8 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I don't disagree with you the guy needs to be gone as he is the last of the "softies" , which I am not a big fan of. However, I am thinking of the team first.

We cannot have a guy who makes 6 million dollars sit in the minors for the next 3 years in this Cap Era. This would lesson the teams ability to field the best team possible. If no one wants him now, we need to showcase him in hopes that he can be traded by the deadline. 

I think they did this last year and then he nixed a trade to Edmonton at the tdl. Two weeks later he was a healthy scratch.

I predict JB will force Loui's hand by sending him to Utica, and that this will end with a mutual termination of the contract and we will all move on.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I think they did this last year and then he nixed a trade to Edmonton at the tdl. Two weeks later he was a healthy scratch.

I predict JB will force Loui's hand by sending him to Utica, and that this will end with a mutual termination of the contract and we will all move on.

If he is actually nixing trades then I hope that is the case then. It may be the last straw for the team.

On 8/10/2019 at 8:30 AM, EdgarM said:

If he is actually nixing trades then I hope that is the case then. It may be the last straw for the team.

what ever happened to "He has a NMC that was negotiated in good faith and should be honoured by both side"?

7 hours ago, lmm said:

what ever happened to "He has a NMC that was negotiated in good faith and should be honoured by both side"?

Some posters apparently believe that only silly people keep their word. When you enter into a contract, if you later decide that you don't wish to honour the contract, apparently the appropriate thing to do is to bully the other party into allowing you to change the contract in your favour.

BTW, I believe that LE's contract is now an NTC, which becomes limited after one more season.

• Upvote 4

On 8/10/2019 at 8:12 AM, Jester13 said:

Why would LE terminate his contract?

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

No Swedish born player, who was once a star, has played in the AHL.  Loui will retire before he is put on waivers.

Why would Loui accept playing in the AHL?  He’s super wealthy, and is (obviously) a very proud guy.  He defended his poor numbers to that Swedish reporter back in June.  He will retire. 

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why would Loui accept playing in the AHL?

$3 million a year times 3 years adds up to significant money, and while very rich by many standards, $9 mill more would make him even richer.

$9 million more, he could use that money to help keep his descendants rich for generations. Trust funds, high level education funds, real estate purchases.

A guy would need to be Bill Gates or Warren Buffett style rich to just walk away from $9 mill. Especially when all you have to do is play hockey in the AHL, where you will spend more nights at your "home" than in the NHL.

Just now, gurn said:

$3 million a year times 3 years adds up to significant money, and while very rich by many standards, $9 mill more would make him even richer.

$9 million more, he could use that money to help keep his descendants rich for generations. Trust funds, high level education funds, real estate purchases.

A guy would need to be Bill Gates or Warren Buffett style rich to just walk away from $9 mill. Especially when all you have to do is play hockey in the AHL, where you will spend more nights at your "home" than in the NHL.

Patrick Berglund did.

The Sabres have declined to discuss Berglund’s status since suspending him. The player’s agent, Peter Wallen, has not responding to numerous messages.

Berglund stands to lose the $9.85 million owed him over the final three years of his contract, along with what’s left of the $4.7 million he’s still owed this year.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sabres-berglund-clears-waivers-contract-will-terminated/

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

Again, Loui is Swedish.  No Swedish born player, who was once a star, has ever accepted demotion to the AHL.  Loui will not play in Utica.  

7 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Patrick Berglund did.

The Sabres have declined to discuss Berglund’s status since suspending him. The player’s agent, Peter Wallen, has not responding to numerous messages.

Berglund stands to lose the $9.85 million owed him over the final three years of his contract, along with what’s left of the $4.7 million he’s still owed this year.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sabres-berglund-clears-waivers-contract-will-terminated/

Patrick Berglund is not Loui.

Sam Gagner did not retire, but Sam Gagner is also not Loui.

10 hours ago, lmm said:

I don't think anyone's suggesting it not be honoured but Loui and his agent could be considered vastly over estimating their leverage with the Canucks and his value around the league if they're nixing ANY deals that actually keep him in the NHL over the AHL, being that he's currently probably, optimistically, our 14 or 15th best forward (and that's without any kids pushing for spots).

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

For reasons mentioned many times already on CDC. I just don't see him beating anyone out for a spot on the opening night roster, I don't see any team other than Dallas wanting to trade for him, and I don't see JB willing to give up what Dallas probably wants in return to take his contract. If it comes to sending him to Utica, I also don't believe Loui would be willing to ride the bus for the next three years and he may very well mutually decide to terminate and he'll go back to Sweden. Of course, all of this could be wrong. We'll all just have to wait and see. 

20 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

For reasons mentioned many times already on CDC. I just don't see him beating anyone out for a spot on the opening night roster, I don't see any team other than Dallas wanting to trade for him, and I don't see JB willing to give up what Dallas probably wants in return to take his contract. If it comes to sending him to Utica, I also don't believe Loui would be willing to ride the bus for the next three years and he may very well mutually decide to terminate and he'll go back to Sweden. Of course, all of this could be wrong. We'll all just have to wait and see. 

He'll been in tough to win a roster spot, but he's pretty even with a good chunk of the bottom 6, but his pk ability puts him above Leivo, imo.  

I just don't see him leaving millions on the table.  I don't see anyone leaving millions on the table, especially at the tail end of a career

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

He'll been in tough to win a roster spot, but he's pretty even with a good chunk of the bottom 6, but his pk ability puts him above Leivo, imo.  

I'd say Leivo's age, contract and that he won't have a media/'negative 10%' circus attached to him...and that we're HIGHLY unlikely to waive him to keep Eriksson on the roster would suggest otherwise.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd say Leivo's age, contract and that he won't have a media/'negative 10%' circus attached to him...and that we're HIGHLY unlikely to waive him to keep Eriksson on the roster would suggest otherwise.

Leivo had some good games on the back of Petey, but he was pretty invisible after that.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Leivo had some good games on the back of Petey, but he was pretty invisible after that.

Unlike Eriksson in his time in Van, has shown he can complement skilled players when filling in up the lineup, is younger and likely still improving, plays a heavier style the coach prefers, has a FAR better contract, is a far better organizational asset and doesn't come with the aforementioned circus/distraction.

Yup, we're going to waive him to keep Eriksson....

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Unlike Eriksson in his time in Van, has shown he can complement skilled players when filling in up the lineup, is younger and likely still improving, plays a heavier style the coach prefers, has a FAR better contract, is a far better organizational asset and doesn't come with the aforementioned circus/distraction.

Yup, we're going to waive him to keep Eriksson....

can we really read that much into one decent year? I like Leivo but he did disappear  a little. I don't think we know what Leivo is yet, but he is certainly not a lock to make the team. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

can we really read that much into one decent year? I like Leivo but he did disappear  a little. I don't think we know what Leivo is yet, but he is certainly not a lock to make the team. 

More than Eriksson has the last three years?

Edited by aGENT
  • Haha 1