The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Calder Trophy - Hughes or Hughes?

Rate this topic

Battlemonger

10 hours ago, shazzam said:

Not an easy award to win as a defenseman. Only Myers and Ekblad has won it since the lockout

Perhaps with 50+ pts he'll be in the running

I think 45 would be enough to give him a good shot. 50+ would be a near lock another forward can get 80+ points, which arguably still more common than 50+ points for a defenseman.

9 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

What is the tiebreaker in the case of a Calder voting tie?

8 hours ago, Baer. said:

Most #2 votes, I'm assuming.

The voting system is a points system with values given to 1st through 5th place votes done by voters, not simply whoever gets the most #1 votes (though the player with the most 1st place votes almost always ends up winning). My guess is that the player with more 1st place votes would get the award, as it's extremely unlikely that the composition of the total points would be exactly the same between 1st through 5th place votes 

13 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I'm going to give it to Kaako. If a dman is going to take it then it's Makar. If Quinn gets in the running, he has to be running our PP, so we will see how he's utilized.

Not that sold on Jack Hughes and their team really likes Nico Hischier. I expect Zajac to take some minutes from his too and Jack will be in a more sheltered role. He'll have some tough competition to surpass on his own team to get minutes, but if he does, then I'll be more optimistic towards him getting the Calder nomination.

I agree Jack will not be in top 3 rookie race..I can see Kaako leading with  Makar, Quinn Hughes, Adam Fox, Necas  all following

1 hour ago, Tyndall2 said:

Let's get the season started and hope all possible candidates stay injury free.  No need for pressure at this time.  Look at last year when Binnington came out of nowhere to almost take the trophy.  

Not to take anything away from Binnington but look at his blue line in front of him.  Deep.

• Upvote 1

I don't think either Hughes will be put in a perfect position to win the Calder. I think it's that simple.

Makar is going to step into one of the best power-plays in the league.

Kakko is going to step into a 1st line winger role and top power-play unit.

Same with Comtois.

Those are my favourites.

IF Quinn takes over our powerplay immediately and the powerplay is one of the best in the league and,

IF Jack somehow pushes out Hirschier to play with Hall and Palmieri them MAYBE they're in the conversation..but I'm not putting money on it.

Calder trophy candidates I think will go in this order:  Kakko (thanks to Panarin) , Makar (thanks to Barrie leaving and one of the best forward groups in the league), Hughes (our Hughes and has more experience), then two others I’m not sure about maybe Hughes two but he’s got to beat out Hirshier and it’s doubtful he will do that his first year.   We will know more in the preseason but that rarely works out the same in the regular season as it’s mostly prospects playing with a few vets...and lower string goalies too...

Wouldn't be surprised to see Hayton as a strong contender.  The kid has elite hockey sense and plays a mature game with a lot of creativity, and the Coyotes have room to feed him offensive minutes while not forcing him onto the first line straight away.  He has a lot of similar qualities to EP40.

Makar is a bit further along in his development an arguably a better defenceman. Kakko is going to be playing on NYR's top line or at least their 2nd line. Hughes is probably going to be playing in the top-6 alongside Hall.

Don't like Quinn's chances to be honest, he'll rack up a lot of powerplay points but the other kids are going to be hard to beat. I think if we're lucky Quinn hits 40-50 points this coming season which probably won't be enough compared to a likely 50-60 from Makar and probably 60-70 for Hughes and Kakko.