The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SOLD OUT EXHIBITION GAME IN MINUTES

Rate this topic

hockeygod77

I was on the computer and pushed buy tickets at exactly 10:00am and they were sold out

I hope its not a repeat of World Jr.'s where there are lots of empty seats that were reserved for some company and they didn't use them. 

Victoria clearly needs more Canucks NHL games here. 

Go Canucks Go #Victoriasteam 

Edited by kenhodgejr

38 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

I was on the computer and pushed buy tickets at exactly 10:00am and they were sold out

I hope its not a repeat of World Jr.'s where there are lots of empty seats that were reserved for some company and they didn't use them. 

Victoria clearly needs more Canucks NHL games here. 

Go Canucks Go #Victoriasteam 

I think all the Canuck preseason home games should be played there.  Why not, if people are interested in going.  There is certainly enough demand to sell out 3 games.

Season ticket holders would be happy too, we are the ones stuck buying these games every year.  There is never any interest in the preseason games here.  With the exception of the Golden Knights first game, and the time the queen came.

5 hours ago, BCNeil said:

I think all the Canuck preseason home games should be played there.  Why not, if people are interested in going.  There is certainly enough demand to sell out 3 games.

Season ticket holders would be happy too, we are the ones stuck buying these games every year.  There is never any interest in the preseason games here.  With the exception of the Golden Knights first game, and the time the queen came.

It's selling out because it's a far smaller capacity stadium (over 10000 less seats). It's a novelty in that it's the only game there.

I would say a preseason game in Rogers draws roughly 12000 (don't know the actual numbers) which is actually more seats sold than the under 8000 capacity of the Royals arena. Just like how fans from Victoria gripe about the cost to watch a Canuck game (ferry, hotel, ticket price, etc), I doubt there will be many season ticket holder here that would want to spend the costs to watch a preseason game.

7 hours ago, BCNeil said:

You're making way too much sense Neil. They could do one pre-season game in Victoria, Kelowna, Prince George and Kamloops every year. They would sell out no problem.

• Cheers 2

15 hours ago, Russ said:

Wife text me last week "Want to go to the game in Abby" and I said I would pass as who knows how many actual guys will be there.  Well she bought them anyways lol.

Oh no... I just chose the quarter season B package for the Sedin retirement game and a few others only to realize that the preseason game that comes with it is going to be in Abby... aw Fiddlesticks!

1FBB7196-3E2B-4220-98EA-D2BA51145A3F.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DonaldBrashear said:

You're making way too much sense Neil. They could do one pre-season game in Victoria, Kelowna, Prince George and Kamloops every year. They would sell out no problem.

Agreed, and if Nanaimo ever got a new rink/arena and junior team tentant I could see lots of interest from there. Parksville,Duncan and Courtenay heck even people from Campbell River would love to see the local team. I always wanted them to have a preseason game at whistler/pemberton area but the meadow park centre just isn’t big enough but always happy when the team has training camp there. Heck I do even recall hometown hockey had an episode at whistler. The great part about the team is spreading the training camps around this loyal and Canuck hungry province of ours. 

Edited by EP Phone Home

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:14 AM, MattJVD said:

Yep, in Victoria at the Royal's home arena. About an 8,000 seat facility. Lots of Canucks fans in town excited they have a chance to see the team without paying BC Ferries through the nose.

It's not the cost of the ferries that makes a trip to Vancouver expensive. Can walk on and take the bus and Canada Line to downtown for just over $20.  It is the cost of hotels that makes it expensive.  More afternoon games would be nice.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Have to wonder the cost and logistics to do this though (not only for the Canucks, but the visiting teams). They would sell out, but with less seats (and there will be the supply and demand crew that will be swiping up tickets to re-sell them for profit). Rogers doesn't sell out, but there's probably more tickets sold overall at Rogers. There's the shared revenue to these cities as opposed to simply playing in their own rink. It's also "preseason" for the staff at Rogers to get everything back in order before the real season begins and it'll be lesser work/pay for the Rogers staff.

On the other hand, it'll be a nice boost to those cities on those game days. And the cost here may be mitigated by giving back to the communities and hopefully more merchandise sales, but I think this is why they're doing what they're currently doing rather than full out annual road show.

4 minutes ago, Red Wooster said:

It's not the cost of the ferries that makes a trip to Vancouver expensive. Can walk on and take the bus and Canada Line to downtown for just over $20.  It is the cost of hotels that makes it expensive.  More afternoon games would be nice.

A lot more time and coordination to achieve that trip for just over $20 (I think closer to $25-30 each way per person and that's just the transportation). Plus the cost of tickets and food/drinks. And that's assuming you're going solo. People with families will add up quite a bit and don't want to make that type of trek. But yes, hotel cost is another major cost.

23 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Not surprised by the demand. This is probably the only time they will come there for the next decade or so. Next year will probably be like Prince George, then Terrace, then Nanaimo, then Kamloops, etc. Seems like Canucks will make this an annual tradition.

Prince George - Yes.  

Terrace - never. Too small arena and not a large enough population to draw from. Besides they had a Hockeyville game a few years ago.

Nanaimo - only if they built a new arena

Kamloops - Yes

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

A lot more time and coordination to achieve that trip for just over $20 (I think closer to $25-30 each way per person and that's just the transportation). Plus the cost of tickets and food/drinks. And that's assuming you're going solo. People with families will add up quite a bit and don't want to make that type of trek. But yes, hotel cost is another major cost.

Agree that travelling with a family adds a lot to the cost as well as tickets/food/drinks/etc.  I always get a little upset when people complain about the cost of BC Ferries. Clearly the cheapest option for getting off the island when compared to other ferries and flying.  FYI, to walk on it currently costs $17.46 and the bus/Canada Line is $3.00 on weekends.

57 minutes ago, Red Wooster said:

Agree that travelling with a family adds a lot to the cost as well as tickets/food/drinks/etc.  I always get a little upset when people complain about the cost of BC Ferries. Clearly the cheapest option for getting off the island when compared to other ferries and flying.  FYI, to walk on it currently costs $17.46 and the bus/Canada Line is $3.00 on weekends.

Well it's the cheapest option, but that doesn't make it "cheap" either and more so if you need to bring a car. People complain but they still use it.

I was taking into account the cost of getting to the ferry to walk on. Unless you have a local pass which you've paid for in advance, which not everyone would I imagine. Although I forgot to take into account that it'll likely be a weekend game. So it's around $50 a person just to travel without the convenience of a vehicle (therefore more time taken and more planning involved, time = money as well for some).

i got mine thru email by the canucks...im just saying any NHL game in vic could sell out if you get a good team....as far as no regulars i think there will be regulars playing....they played at the bear mountain canucks vs sharks years back and lots of san jose regs playing and canucks regular for a kraft dinner game...sportsnet may televise this game..   so i figure the canucks or whoever the royals will make over 1 million dollars on this pre season game..paid 73 dollars for a ticket and that fees taxes and service fees...

6 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

Agreed, and if Nanaimo ever got a new rink/arena and junior team tentant I could see lots of interest from there. Parksville,Duncan and Courtenay heck even people from Campbell River would love to see the local team. I always wanted them to have a preseason game at whistler/pemberton area but the meadow park centre just isn’t big enough but always happy when the team has training camp there. Heck I do even recall hometown hockey had an episode at whistler. The great part about the team is spreading the training camps around this loyal and Canuck hungry province of ours. 

Don’t hold your breath.  Citizens here are not forward thinking.  Forced to play hockey in an 18 team casual league at 1100 pm.  Three arenas for a city of 90k+ for hockey, public, figure skating etc.  Parks and recreation  approved a new junior B team and a college team without adding any ice!?

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Red Wooster said:

A few years ago we had foot passenger ferry from Nanaimo that offered special event tickets an return trip the same night. We’ve been waiting for a new service to start up for about 5 years now, but same answer every time.  Need more investors. 

7 hours ago, Red Wooster said:

You're right of course, it's all of it. I just didn't want to write a detailed itinerary in my post and enjoy a jab at the Ferries every once in a while.

My last trip over was around:

Ticket:        $150

Translink   $20

Ferry           $35

Hotel          $200

Meals        $100

Parking      $24 (in Swartz Bay)

$500+ per person affair to go see a canucks game from Victoria, even when you don't drive over. Well over $600 if you do.

• Cheers 1

Miller - Horvat - Pearson

Ferland - Pettersson - Boeser

Baertschi (Roussel) - Sutter - Virtanen

Motte - Beagle - Leivo

Eriksson, Goldobin, Schaller

Edler - Tanev

Hughes - Myers

Benn - Stecher 

Fantenberg, Biega

Markstrom

Demko 

Boucher - Perron - MacEwen

Jasek - Gaudette - Bailey

Gadjovich - Lind - Graovac 

Juolevi - Woo

Teves - Rafferty

Brisebois - Chatfield 

Dipietro/Kielly/McIntyre/Bachman

Now put them all in a blender and make your split-squad teams. It's the offseason, you can tell i'm bored.