The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our coach: Mr. Travis Green (discussion)

Rate this topic

Jester13

3 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

If edler is named captain im cheering for the comets this season. 

I actually said this a while ago . Felt like they may actually do it. Hope not as well. 

Edited by cuporbust

2 hours ago, smokes said:

Everyone is talking about how he turned Jake around. I would argue if he did or not. Jake was a first rounder projected to play in the top six and is now a bottom six player who can easily be replaced. He's trying to turn Goldobin into a two way player when he is clearly meant to play on the offense. He turned what was one a promising young defence man in Hutton into a free agency giveaway. He got Eriksson, a 14 year veteran who we haven't heard a complaint from, ever, call him out. When you look at the improvements of the team last year, we need to ask ourselves, did the Canucks improve because of Green's coaching or because the diamond Benning uncovered in Petey.

So in your mind the Canucks improvement must be one or the other, it can't be a combination of JB's drafting and Green's coaching? There are no shades of grey in your world, only black and white? And a blazingly fast skater who hits like a truck, is defensively responsible and scored 15 goals last year is an easily replaceable bottom 6 forward? I am guessing from your post that no matter what Green (or Jake) do, you will be looking for some pretext to complain about them.

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, smokes said:

Everyone is talking about how he turned Jake around. I would argue if he did or not. Jake was a first rounder projected to play in the top six and is now a bottom six player who can easily be replaced. He's trying to turn Goldobin into a two way player when he is clearly meant to play on the offense. He turned what was one a promising young defence man in Hutton into a free agency giveaway. He got Eriksson, a 14 year veteran who we haven't heard a complaint from, ever, call him out. When you look at the improvements of the team last year, we need to ask ourselves, did the Canucks improve because of Green's coaching or because the diamond Benning uncovered in Petey.

Sorry, but that is such a noob comment .

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Bo fan said:

can't knock Greener - I think he gets the best out of the players and I think he has the respect of the room (well maybe not LE - but I think deep down even he has to respect the coach)

I agree, and just because LE had an unfortunate excess of candor, saying publicly what probably most players feel (if they are competitive enough to play at the NHL level), that they think they should have more and/or higher quality icetime, doesn't necessarily mean that he does not respect Green.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, xereau said:

Love the middle finger eyescratch to one of the dbag media in a scrum.

Hated when he benched Goldobin at the end of the year.

Love how he looks like the guy that plays The Hulk.

Hate when he plays the wrong goalie 'on a hunch'.

Love the aggressive style at the starts of seasons.

Hate how that style dies around Christmas.

Overall feeling is like 5 and a half stars out of 10.

Goldobin earned the bench and little more.

He had 4 points in his last 23 games (-9). 

He was playing 16/17 minutes a night on at least half of those (averaged 15 over the season)...

He was getting 64% ozone starts.

2:33 of powerplay ice time/game.

Producing nothing - and being weak without the puck - earns no one minutes in the NHL.

Goldobin belonged on the bench, unfortunately - in what was otherwise a good opportunity to command minutes - which he simply did not do - and the going isn't getting any easier as age 24 approaches - along with waiver elibility.

Can't blame Green for any of that - it on Goldobin to earn it - which he did not.  The whole 'he's got talent thing' only earns a guy so much opportunity - beyond that he hasn't stepped up, period.   It'd be great if that changes this camp/preseason/season - but the window doesn't stay open forever for players like Goldobin.

• Upvote 4

There’s a LOT to like about TG.   First he came from my home town Castlegar,  and we were only a grade apart.   Didn’t know him in high school (he left to play hockey I think in Spokane early) but he was the hero from our age group back then, and it was pretty clear he was going places.   As a player he’s stated he had two careers, the one where he came in and took some time to get things - and that he was no longer at the top of the food chain like it was as a kid coming from a small town - but he did get it and carved eventually and that’s why he’s going to be around for a long time as a coach.   

Last year THN said some really nice things about him before our losing streak , and in their yearbook stated he had just as much potential as our youth - personally I’m glad we don’t have a recycled head coach but someone new to grow with the team.   Also liked the balls he showed before he got the job as in NHL or nothing.    Look forward to see what he can do now that we can assemble a good top nine and with better defenseman.   Think he will continue to get the most out of our guys.   TG is going to have a good record by the time we move on from him, don’t see that happening for seven or eight years. 

Also love that his parents still live in Castlegar, it’s a cool valley.    

• Cheers 4

I'd like to see Green go full Robbie Ftorek and wear a sweater behind the bench instead of a jacket (and while at it, regrow his mullet!!)

That would give the media something new to talk about instead of slagging our Canucks

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Goldobin earned the bench and little more.

He had 4 points in his last 23 games (-9). 

He was playing 16/17 minutes a night on at least half of those (averaged 15 over the season)...

He was getting 64% ozone starts.

2:33 of powerplay ice time/game.

Producing nothing - and being weak without the puck - earns no one minutes in the NHL.

Goldobin belonged on the bench, unfortunately - in what was otherwise a good opportunity to command minutes - which he simply did not do - and the going isn't getting any easier as age 24 approaches - along with waiver elibility.

Can't blame Green for any of that - it on Goldobin to earn it - which he did not.  The whole 'he's got talent thing' only earns a guy so much opportunity - beyond that he hasn't stepped up, period.   It'd be great if that changes this camp/preseason/season - but the window doesn't stay open forever for players like Goldobin.

You can throw out all the numbers and stats that you want.

I am specifically talking about the stretch of games he had between his second to last, and last benching.

I saw him going and getting the puck on the boards. And I was amazed. He was even throwing around his body.

He was not dropping to the ice like a sniper was in the rafters when he heard skates coming his way.

He hit the crossbar something ridiculous like 8 times in 4 games.

Not goals, but he was beating goalies. With a snapshot as every bit as good as Naslunds.

He appeared to be getting it, finally. And then Green benched the guy. And I was pissed.

I was on Goldobin's case constantly since we got him. But I could see that he appeared to finally be turning the corner.

And then Green benched him. To play Spooner. And Schaller. And Utica plugs.

Sorry, but that is just boneheadedness, and not Green's finest moment ever.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, smokes said:

lol   remember the other coach willie d  sent jake to Utica  and travis green was coaching in Utica , and spent a lot of time with jake teaching him , you know a lot of what your complaining about is on the players   , maybe jake should of taken getting in shape alil more seriously  , goldy shoud be a lil more responsible with the puck and stop turning it over in the neutral zone  , hutton   what team signed  him?    hmmm  no one  and  now eriksson  lol   I cant believe you even going there, 2 different coaches  and loui  still did sweet f all   in 3 years, that is on the player again    

hmmm sedins retire   and  we have a rookie to replace the sedins, go thru a ton of injuries to key players, used 50 different players thru out the season and  we still maintain about the same points , I would say greener did a great job with that kinda of a season 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

If you don't work hard in both ends of the rink you don't win.  Green is just trying to instill good habits in our young players.  Eriksson called him out because he's a lazy, entitled floater who couldn't handle a much deserved benching.  Never mind the times Green publicly defended a truly awful hockey player.

If you can't handle being held to the same standard as everyone else regarding effort level, there's no spot for you on Green's team.  I happen to share that philosophy.

King you are totally contradicting yourself here.

Loui floated for 2 years under Green and he benched him for 1 game!!

"Never mind the times Green publicly defended a truly awful hockey player"

what is the message there?

In the words of our old friend Willie, "This isn't a try league"

so is Green 'trying' to instill good habits, or is he instilling good habits?

is he 'trying' to instill a winning system, or is he instilling one?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

i like green’s coaching philosophy. each season, he’s tried to get the best of the players he has. this season, he’ll do the same. hockey people around the league, say green is smart and innovative and a good coach. you have to come to vancouver to hear bad words about him. 

since 1970, some fans have called for new GM’s, coaches, owners and players each year. 

that is cuz the old ones don't get the job done

never have the Vancouver fans called for the head of a Stanley Cup champ

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

So in your mind the Canucks improvement must be one or the other, it can't be a combination of JB's drafting and Green's coaching? There are no shades of grey in your world, only black and white? And a blazingly fast skater who hits like a truck, is defensively responsible and scored 15 goals last year is an easily replaceable bottom 6 forward? I am guessing from your post that no matter what Green (or Jake) do, you will be looking for some pretext to complain about them.

well, that is taking it to the next level of simpleton

3 minutes ago, xereau said:

You can throw out all the numbers and stats that you want.

I am specifically talking about the stretch of games he had between his second to last, and last benching.

I saw him going and getting the puck on the boards. And I was amazed. He was even throwing around his body.

He was not dropping to the ice like a sniper was in the rafters when he heard skates coming his way.

He hit the crossbar something ridiculous like 8 times in 4 games.

Not goals, but he was beating goalies. With a snapshot as every bit as good as Naslunds.

He appeared to be getting it, finally. And then Green benched the guy. And I was pissed.

I was on Goldobin's case constantly since we got him. But I could see that he appeared to finally be turning the corner.

And then Green benched him. To play Spooner. And Schaller. And Utica plugs.

Sorry, but that is just boneheadedness, and not Green's finest moment ever.

Goldobin earned one last chance with us by getting qualified  which shows the team isn’t ready to give up on him yet (unless it’s just about raising stock and trading later on).  Think comparing his shot to Naslunds  is a big stretch, but me and everyone else on the CDC would be overjoyed if that turns out to be the case as we could expect a 30 plus goal season break - out from him.   Have no idea where in the world JB is going to put him, he doesn’t fit in the top six anymore and can’t see him in the bottom six but you never do know exactly how these things work out.  

Boucher also has a decent  shot and offensive acumen, but hasn’t had nearly the chances Goldobin was given - bet he’d have got some points riding shotgun with EP for half a year too and have to wonder how Bear would have done with the same opportunity.    It’s pretty obvious who was driving the bus on that line, when EP dried up Goldobin couldn’t buy a point ...

The only thing that bothers me about him was his lazy lackadaisical line changes, like he’s Wayne Gretzky and already scored a hat trick or something - just terribly slow.  TG or someone else has said something because it doesn’t happen as often but it was constant for way to long.   If his shot is as good as you think it is then he will break out and become part of the core, which would be tremendous for us especially considering we have Podz coming eventually and Tree most likely too.   He does have an intriguing skill-set and makes a good argument for making three scoring lines and one shutdown line, have to wonder if he won’t just be rotated out with Leivo and Motte and maybe LE considering the glut of forwards we currently have, and used primarily as a depth option. 

• Upvote 1