The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rolla, BC...a little Canadiana (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

Well, back about 2 weeks ago, my daughter, who lives in Dawson Creek, BC. Took me to Rolla, BC. I asked what was there? Having never heard of this town. She said, why the Rolla Pub, of course! So around 500 pm, we set out from Dawson Creek to find this infamous pub. Well, we traveled the highway (a back road) to Rolla (all of 15 km's outside Dawson Creek), where we found the Rolla Pub. Now, it is not the only thing that is in Rolla ( I heard there are 46 out buildings in Rolla), but it is sure a happening!

Once getting parked at the Pub (which does have a sign), we entered the building, where we met the lone occupant with in the building at the time, the owner, who is a wonderful lady, whose name escapes me for now. She was so excited to see us, and I asked if we were the first in today? To which she replied, no, and that she had probably made 100 bucks so far that day, which was enough to pay for the band, which would be playing later that night. We ordered and she served us and sat down with us...….where do you ever get that!

The lady, owner, who is also the bartender, maintenance and janitorial service, proceeded to tell us, that the maximum capacity for the bar was 46, and the bar was established in 1920, which will make it 100 years old next year. She plans on having a celebration, but was foggy on details at this point. ( I plan on being there for her celebration)

The décor of the building is outstanding, from a green painted exterior, to a Teen Age Ninja Turtle display, to money stapled on the ceiling, to a life ring from a Ferry which ran on the Peace River...it had it all and way too many things to list...……...it is a ocular explosion, and in itself worth the drive.

Anyways, back to the story! So, we sat there having a few wobbly pops, which were nice and cold, and delivered with a smile, and waited for the band to arrive, and play. About an hour into

our 4 hour visit (ok, maybe 5 hours) people starting arriving, and by the time the band (The Nazz) arrived, it was nearing 3/4 full. I thought, well "If she gets a late night surge" she could be having a sell out!

The Nazz sp?, was a 2 piece band, with a groupie...so cool!  And they were crazy (Played all originals...which weren't bad at all) I think they played a couple of covers in the second set......but they were fun, and the lead singer, could really belt out some great rock! (It sounded like a big bar from outside the open door, where I expected to see a moose walk in any time.

Anyways, it was a great time, all the people (30ish) were real friendly, and I would go back there in a heart beat...…..note...it doesn't get crazy (LOL) to about 800 pm (Fri and Sat). and I would recommend you having a beer there if you are ever in the area. I need to go back and see the rest of the township in the day light. Google it......The pub is on the main page!

* last note, but worth commenting on...……..evidently, there are a lot of bands that have played there over the years, and its widely known throughout the Canadian music industry.

If you have ever been there and have a story...please add! It is an unique place and town.

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, riffraff said:

You can’t remember the only name in the bar that wasn’t yours or your daughters and the one that was serving you drinks?:blink:

LOL...………..Focus on the bar, not my terrible, F'N memory...………...I actually remember it as the Nazz, but I goggled that and came up with a late 60's band

But maybe this guy just went with it. anyways...…...pretty sure you are not going to find and recordings! LOL

We will call the lady Susan, until corrected. LOL

It's always been pretty hazy any time I've been there, but I seem to recall they have a bunch of pictures of celebrities in small bars on the wall. Just not their bar. I thought that was pretty funny. Sure is a postage stamp, couldn't fit a lot of folks. My cousin's band plays in there quite frequently. 

• Cheers 1

Hot Tamales.  That's what I associate with Rolla BC.  The candy kind, not the Mexican food.  When I was a pre-teen my parents bought a farm a few kilometers north of Rolla, the last one on that chunk of rolling northern farm land, apparently the northernmost grain farming area in the world, before it dropped off steeply into the Peace River valley.  As a transplanted city kid it was hard to fathom being so isolated (and not being able to just go to the store to get candy when one wants).  Once a week we would make the drive into Dawson creek to stock up on groceries and parts for the farm machinery.  At that time, the late 70s, there was no pub in Rolla but there was a general store, a house or two, a broken down abandoned school, and a rodeo ground (which even hosted a stop on the pro rodeo circuit, quite a feat for a ghost town with a total population that could fit into a smart car).  Anyway I was allowed to stop at the store and buy a package of Hot Tamales and I looked forward to that greatly.  Nice to hear that there is a pub there now, that sounds even better.  Go Canucks Go!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Very cool. Question, tho, after a few wobbly pops each, who drove home?

No, I had a few more than that.....my daughter was the DD as I was up visiting her and working my a$$ off, so she just had one and coasted...….me on the otherhand :sadno:

Great pub, lots of oil and gas traffic around there. Head straight north towards Goodlowe across the Peace river then head back west towards Cecil lake for some great deer, moose and elk hunting. Beautiful country. I used to drive through there all the time from FSJ. Nice drive up towards Peace River if you cross the border towards the east once you cross the bridge. Then you can make your way up to high level and even head into NWT towards Hay river. Then Yellowknife isnt far.....one of the nicest drives if you want to see wildlife. Fully recommend that entire part of the province and the whole Northeast for that matter.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Surfbali said:

Great pub, lots of oil and gas traffic around there. Head straight north towards Goodlowe across the Peace river then head back west towards Cecil lake for some great deer, moose and elk hunting. Beautiful country. I used to drive through there all the time from FSJ. Nice drive up towards Peace River if you cross the border towards the east once you cross the bridge. Then you can make your way up to high level and even head into NWT towards Hay river. Then Yellowknife isnt far.....one of the nicest drives if you want to see wildlife. Fully recommend that entire part of the province and the whole Northeast for that matter.

All true, but careful of the hatchet murderers. 

When I lived up there I had a 45-70 behind the seat and 430 grain bear load in my console. Good luck to the hatchet murderers. And I went through plenty of road blocks with an unloaded rifle next to my leg. RCMP would just look and nod....its perfectly legal if it isnt loaded and the action is open......if the action is closed then its a problem.  Ever know when a moose will step out on a back road or onto a cut line. ::D

• Like 1