The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] A change in skate profile could make Elias Pettersson even harder to handle next season

Rate this topic

Drive-By Body Pierce

11 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

I was sad too! I know a number of people (women included) that are scotch drinkers... and everything else is for peasants!

Give some of the original instead: Irish Whiskey! Tastes like heaven. The Scots just polluted it by dumping some peat and dirt into it!

• Haha 2

Well, Pettersson did say at the end of last season that he was going to work on getting better, find ways to beat his opponents. Kind of awesome that he won the Calder and skated so well at the ASG with those blades last year. I thought his skating looked awkward at times, like his legs were too long or something, but he could have a huge year if he gets even faster and more agile. 

It’s tough seeing Johnathan Dahlen with Pettersson and realizing that they’ll never get a chance to play together with the Canucks.

I still can’t believe that the Canuck’s management didn’t ever give them a chance to re-establish their chemistry together before giving up on Dahlen.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

I hope you guys like the article, I found it interesting...and probably spent more time making the thread on my phone than the author did writing the original article. :lol:

thanks for posting, I love the tech side of this stuff. He did look a little bambi-like at times last year . 

20 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

How did the Canucks not realize that his skate profile wasn't optimal, or that it was at least strange, and not recommend a change? Assuming that this change will improve his play. Maybe, Petey is so good because he got so used to the same skate profile.

I'm sure the equiptment manager noticed and asked him about it. But ultimately it's up to Petey. Maybe he just didn't want to switch to something he wasn't familiar with during the season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MattJVD said:

I'm sure the equiptment manager noticed and asked him about it. But ultimately it's up to Petey. Maybe he just didn't want to switch to something he wasn't familiar with during the season.

This seems pretty obvious. I’m sure the Canucks check all of these things, but you don’t make major equipment changes during the season. Off season training, along with training camp and pre season are the times to try out new things. 

Fantastic. Three main aspects affected his performance last season as I saw it. 1) Injuries; 2) Falling down on tight turns and upon contact; 3) Stamina to go through an 82-game season which he never experienced. A good off-season training, with improved equipment/technique and Ferland can remedy some of this.

Can't wait for Oct 9!

Try Japanese single malt...it's heavenly especially when drinking it neat. 

Edited by blackpluto96
Grammar