The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Heavy metal music may have a bad reputation, but it has numerous mental health benefits for fans

1 hour ago, the grinder said:

well that happens, only so many notes combinations , rhythms and beats u can make ,   there is always a song out there is similar to another song  in some way shape and  form,  im sure they got compensated   

It wasn't just a "Huey Lewis & the News" 'borrowing' elements of the  Ray Parker Jr. Ghostbusters 'song'; I'm pretty sure most of Quet Riot's songs that charted well were just actual covers of Slade songs; hence my lame joke about them being a Slade cover bad.

Nothing wrong per say of covering a song.  Look at Johnny Cash's version of Trent Reznor's "Hurt".  Reznor himself said upon hearing of Cash's version "It was no longer my song".

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

It wasn't just a "Huey Lewis & the News" 'borrowing' elements of the  Ray Parker Jr. Ghostbusters 'song'; I'm pretty sure most of Quet Riot's songs that charted well were just actual covers of Slade songs; hence my lame joke about them being a Slade cover bad.

Nothing wrong per say of covering a song.  Look at Johnny Cash's version of Trent Reznor's "Hurt".  Reznor himself said upon hearing of Cash's version "It was no longer my song".

Ray Parker copied Huey Lewis, not the other way round.

As for the article... metal has a bad reputation? Is it still the 80s/90s or something?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I disagree with Trent here. Seeing NIN perform that song behind the giant screen was amazing. Don't care for the mighty Cash's version.

And yeah, Ray jacked Huey on that Ghostbusters track, not the other way around as Butters points out.  I think they even won in court...

Edited by bishopshodan

5 hours ago, C.A. Nux said:

dri-logo.jpg

Saw D.R.I. on the Thrashhard tour at the New York Theatre in Vancouver back in the day. I was a skinny 18 yo and there was a brutal moshpit with skinheads kicking people when they fell. Needless to say I watched the show from the back lol.

• Cheers 1

I've been a metalhead since grade 6 or 7 when I first heard Ozzy's Bark At The Moon followed by Judas Priest's awesome Defenders of the Faith. My first concert was either Alice Cooper's Raise Your Fist And Yell or AC/DC's Fly On the Wall. I've been hooked ever since. When I first heard thrash metal grade 9 or 10 I was amazed music could be so fast and brutal with (mostly) very socially aware lyrics. When I first heard black metal it was Dimmu Borgir's Progenies of the Great Apocalypse. I absolutely loved the epic music but couldn't stand the shrieked vocals. My buddy told me to keep listening and after a few goes it really grew on me and now I'll listen to pretty much any and all styles of BM (excluding suicidal and Nazi BM) as long as they have those vox. I just LOVE the singing style. It speaks to my soul the way clean vocals never will. And right now black metal is about the only thing in my life that can make me smile. 

40 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I disagree with Trent here. Seeing NIN perform that song behind the giant screen was amazing. Don't care for the mighty Cash's version.

Well it's subjective isn't it?  (no real right answer).   I mean Robert Plant is a bit of fan of the band "Dread Zeppelin" (who often cover Led Zep songs) but fans of Led Zeppelin might not be amused by their "interpretation". 

You'd have to get me pretty drunk though to like this:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

And yeah, Ray jacked Huey on that Ghostbusters track, not the other way around as Butters points out.  I think they even won in court...

I think the video made Cash’s version far more impactful.  He still did a good job on the song alone and it certainly fits his life.

6 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I think the video made Cash’s version far more impactful.  He still did a good job on the song alone and it certainly fits his life.

the timelapse life and death video that NIN had at the concert was frickin awesome.

4 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Opera ended question to all:

what do you do or what are you doing when listening to metal?  If anything at all?

what bands or albums do you go to for certain things if at all?

My opera is amazing, wife thinks it stinks though..

I run and lift weights listening to metal. Not at the same time.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

the timelapse life and death video that NIN had at the concert was frickin awesome.

My opera is amazing, wife thinks it stinks though..

I run and lift weights listening to metal. Not at the same time.

Oh technology 

There was a good documentary on Netflix about the influence of Metal in other parts of the world...I can't remember the name of it sorry! But it was a great watch. They went all over to see when metal meant to others. 

In Japan they dress up and thrash out to bands as it's a way to escape their extreme pressure they face culturally to succeed and do well in school and at life. It's a way to remove themselves from the pressure and have fun.

In South America and the middle east they use it to escape extreme dictatorship regimes. It's their way to protest but not get thrown in prison basically.

There were other great examples of metal music freeing people from their strict social lives. In north america we take for granted how free we are to express ourselves in any way we like to. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

There was a good documentary on Netflix about the influence of Metal in other parts of the world...I can't remember the name of it sorry! But it was a great watch. They went all over to see when metal meant to others. 

In Japan they dress up and thrash out to bands as it's a way to escape their extreme pressure they face culturally to succeed and do well in school and at life. It's a way to remove themselves from the pressure and have fun.

In South America and the middle east they use it to escape extreme dictatorship regimes. It's their way to protest but not get thrown in prison basically.

There were other great examples of metal music freeing people from their strict social lives. In north america we take for granted how free we are to express ourselves in any way we like to. 

Pretty sure I’ve seen this movie and I was trying to recall the name to post it.

i think the guy who made it was from Victoria