The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pre-season Poll #1

-SN-

Should the Canucks retire Luongo's number?   

346 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

only the canucks would honor mediocrity but not honor greatness. we retired 2 players that are heart and soul good players in smyl and linden. yet we like to trash the greatest goalie to play of this franchise and top 5 goalies of all time.. he's 1 of 3 goalies to play over 1000 games.. 3rd in wins etc etc etc yet he's only compared to Kirk Maclean who's even in his prime isn't a top tier goalie in this league. yes it's his fault the league punished the team with cap recapture.. it's also his fault florida refuse to put him on LTIR and asked him to retire.. if the canucks were so desperate they could have traded for Luongo and put him on LTIR.

10 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

If he played out his contract, yeah... but seeing as how we're getting hit with his recapture... FK NO!

Yeah fault Lu for wanting to retire. Fault Lu for the league imposing a new rule after the contract had been signed.

I'm sure if you were in his shoes, being injured and all, you'd think "I'm gonna keep going for 3 extra years even though I can't and don't want to so a team I have no ties to now can benefit slightly"

Edited by Grape

I voted yes because I was a fan of the player but I have a feeling that he doesn't like Vancouver Canucks organization very much. So maybe no? Kind of torn on this. Not a surefire like Sedins, Nazzy, Linden, and Smyl. Maybe it will be retired eventually like Bure's.

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

only the canucks would honor mediocrity but not honor greatness. we retired 2 players that are heart and soul good players in smyl and linden. yet we like to trash the greatest goalie to play of this franchise and top 5 goalies of all time.. he's 1 of 3 goalies to play over 1000 games.. 3rd in wins etc etc etc yet he's only compared to Kirk Maclean who's even in his prime isn't a top tier goalie in this league. yes it's his fault the league punished the team with cap recapture.. it's also his fault florida refuse to put him on LTIR and asked him to retire.. if the canucks were so desperate they could have traded for Luongo and put him on LTIR.

Mediocrity? Linden and Smyl? I hope I'm misreading this but are you saying that Linden and Smyl are mediocre?

Team's jersey retirement is not based solely off of the players contributions to the team on the ice but their overall contribution and most importantly, whether the player feels attached to the organization or not.

I like Luongo and I think we should eventually retire his jersey but I'm not sure if he feels so attached to the team to want to be part of the jersey retirement ceremony. Maybe down the road but not this season. He's just announced retirement. Let's wait a bit.

9 hours ago, Coconuts said:

ROH tops. I love him as a person and he was one of my favourite players as a Canuck but no, I don't think we should retire his number. If he'd finished his career here perhaps, but he was more a Panther than a Canuck. 

I'm also really reluctant to have numbers retired. We've got too many as is imo. I was on the fence with Bure and probably would have put Naslund in the ROH too. I'm looking forward to retiring 22 and 33 though. 

Without Naslund, the EP might be playing for a team called, Memphis Grizzlies Utah Yankees.

I think he (nearly) single handedly brought the Vancouver Canucks back to being relevant in the city and put the fans back in the seats. Sedins followed and upped the standards that he set for the team.

I thought he was a sure thing as much as Linden and Smyl were.

4 hours ago, khay said:

Without Naslund, the EP might be playing for a team called, Memphis Grizzlies Utah Yankees.

I think he (nearly) single handedly brought the Vancouver Canucks back to being relevant in the city and put the fans back in the seats. Sedins followed and upped the standards that he set for the team.

I thought he was a sure thing as much as Linden and Smyl were.

Perhaps, but if we're going to play the speculation game I could say we might have drafted someone else and that they could have been successful here too. 

I appreciate what he did during his tenure and and I'm not trying to take away from the numbers he put up or his tenure here. But in my eyes he was only dominant for a couple seasons, injuries played a part in that unfortunately but it was what it was. Jersey retirement is a subject most folks have different takes and standards for so I'm going to respectfully agree to disagree. 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Yung1 said:

4th all-time in goalie wins. Lu will be there too.

Edit: 3rd all time*

sure but also more years with FLA and thats clearly where his heart is. Maybe if we'd won a cup with him but I just don't see it being justified at the end of the day. 

Lu did get most of his wins with us but just barely. 

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder if it was Luongo's decision to have his number retired when they play MTL (his hometown) instead of VAN (where he had the most success)

I'm sure he had some input. TBH I doubt he'd want his number retired here anyway. 

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sure but also more years with FLA and thats clearly where his heart is. Maybe if we'd won a cup with him but I just don't see it being justified at the end of the day. 

Lu did get most of his wins with us but just barely. 

again, Bure, as in Pavel. Played 7 seasons with us. Lu played 8. both players took us to the finals. both players hall of famers. I dont see how Bure's up there but Luongo wouldnt be.

17 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

again, Bure, as in Pavel. Played 7 seasons with us. Lu played 8. both players took us to the finals. both players hall of famers. I dont see how Bure's up there but Luongo wouldnt be.

spite? 

19 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

Honestly, Pavel Bure’s Number is the only one of our team’s 50 year history that should be retired.  I’d add the Sedin Twins 22 and 33 too.  Lou was great, but not as special as Pavel, and the Twins. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

spite? 

lol what on earth would justify vancouver to feel spiteful towards lu at all? all that dude did was get run over by the media a screwed by the coaching staff again and again and still remained professional throughout it all. lu is as classy as they come. 

33 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

I think some feel Bure doesn't belong up there, so neither should Luongo. But at the end of the day Bure is up there, so it's really hard to justify Luongo not being there. It took around 20 years since Bure left for us to retire his number though. Maybe if Luongo enters the HoF, then we will consider it at that point. We will also see if we will ever have another goalie like Luongo in that timespan to truly know what it's like to have a goalie his caliber and whether we can find another one making Luongo less impactful. I don't think we've had a player like Bure again and thus his legacy lives on, although EP is showing early signs (not the same style, but simply having that excitement every time he touches the puck).

I find it interesting that some seem to think if we were to retire his number, it would be this coming season and therefore maybe swaying their decision.

55 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

lol what on earth would justify vancouver to feel spiteful towards lu at all? all that dude did was get run over by the media a screwed by the coaching staff again and again and still remained professional throughout it all. lu is as classy as they come. 

I was joking.

But you haven't convinced me either. I just don't see him in the same way as the Sedins or Bure.            

On 8/12/2019 at 10:27 AM, StealthNuck said:

Should the Canucks retire Luongo's number?

This is easy, absolutely yes, he's the best goalie we have ever had period. May not like him or respect his decision making during his tenure with us but have to respect his talent and what he brought to the table night after night with us and a Stanely Cup run with 2 president trophy's