The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pre-season Poll #1

-SN-

Should the Canucks retire Luongo's number?   

346 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not a chance... then again they retired Pavel's after he played almost the same # of games for us... 

It's truly too bad no one can wear #10. Pavel should have been in RoH and not hanging in the rafters. 

Jersey retirements should only be for guys that display utmost loyalty throughout their careers to OUR franchise. 

On 8/12/2019 at 10:27 AM, theo5789 said:

And what if Luongo finds his way into the HoF at some point as well? Do we retire his number further down the road should this happen?

Number retirement is a franchise honor. HHoF is a hockey career honor, including international play. They don't automatically go hand in hand..

3rd all time in wins, the majority of them in Vancouver. 

When he came it changed everything, suddenly this team had a chance to really compete again. By the time we got there the Sedins had blossomed but prior to those few magical years Luongo was our top superstar.

I don't see his as "A Panther", maybe in his mind he's more Panther as Florida is his home, even when he played here, but as far as his career goes most of his best years & biggest moments were as a Canuck. I don't think its so definitive league-wide that he's a Panther.

Best goaltender we've ever had pretty easily, one of the better goalies of all time, a sure HHOFer. (Even more-so than the Twins & Bure I'd think). I voted yes. 

I think the Naslund jersey retirement may have been a little weak.

I know people hate retiring jerseys because we haven't won, but this franchise has been around 50 years & we've had some great players worthy of great honor. Its an old franchise. Does it suck to have a bunch retired without a cup, absolutely. But also hope we don't induct half the team (just because of it) if we do win. 

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

Number retirement is a franchise honor. HHoF is a hockey career honor, including international play. They don't automatically go hand in hand..

And he played some of his best hockey here and was very impactful to our team. Being in the HoF simply adds to his status. Do you think Bure would've had his number retired here if he wasn't in the HoF? So while I know that they don't go hand in hand, it would be another legendary player that should be recognized by our franchise (the debate obviously being number retirement or ROH).

If by the time Luongo does enter the HoF (I imagine he won't be in that soon), we will see if we will ever have another goalie like him.

To be clear there, I'm still on the fence. I think he deserves a bit more than ROH, but not quite number retirement. However with the history of who we have retired, it leans more in that direction.

6 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Wow this one's a lot tougher then I originally thought, like I want to say yes because he is imo the best Canucks goalie ever, but it just doesn't seem right retiring the #1 if it's not McLean...

How about sharing the honour with McLean?  Still wouldn't feel right to me given McLean's already clearly been deemed not worthy of retirement by virtue of his ROH induction. 

19 hours ago, khay said:

(Without Naslund, the EP might be playing for a team called, Memphis Grizzlies Utah Yankees.

I think he (nearly) single handedly brought the Vancouver Canucks back to being relevant in the city and put the fans back in the seats. Sedins followed and upped the standards that he set for the team.

I thought he was a sure thing as much as Linden and Smyl were.

ummm naslund  brought the fans back  , I think you are referring to bure   , if it weren't for bure they would not be a gm place( rogers)  for naslund to play in  

Edited by the grinder
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, khay said:

Mediocrity? Linden and Smyl? I hope I'm misreading this but are you saying that Linden and Smyl are mediocre?

Team's jersey retirement is not based solely off of the players contributions to the team on the ice but their overall contribution and most importantly, whether the player feels attached to the organization or not.

I like Luongo and I think we should eventually retire his jersey but I'm not sure if he feels so attached to the team to want to be part of the jersey retirement ceremony. Maybe down the road but not this season. He's just announced retirement. Let's wait a bit.

oh don't get me wrong they are great players for this franchise.. but they probably wouldn't have retired their numbers in 95% of the teams.. let's be honest here.. if they never had the stanley cup run.. neither player would had their numbers retired.. the stanley cup run in 94 elevated Linden into the retired number just like it elevated captain Kirk into the RoH. 

I would say Luongo is attached to the city despite what happened.. i mean after all it is in this city that he elevated himself from stardom to franchise player level along with the gold medals etc etc. i don't think we'll retire his number now.. and probably not in a few years.. as most the bandwagoner fans here hates him for the cap recapture and wanting to leave the city even though the fanbase and media did their best to run him out of town. the cap recatpure have nothing to do with Luongo as it was a legit contract under the CBA, and Florida is the team that didn't want him on the LTIR, but heck it's Luongo's fault.. it always is

• Cheers 1

yes, he did play 8 years in mostly his prime with us and he did help us get to the cup final in 2011. So did Mclean.

No, because he didn't play the majority of his career with us,

No, because of his #1 number and Mclean conflict

No, because he was a good Goalie, not a great one. He played on a great team.

This may not be popular but going back through his work with the Canucks, yes he stole games , but he also was famous for letting in soft goals.

When he was hot he was great, but he wasn't consistent, and not worthy of heading to the rafters IMO

11 hours ago, the grinder said:

If that's the case kelser should be up there too   might as well throw messier up there   so no to loungo 

2 hours ago, Yung1 said:

that literally makes no sense

yep makes no sense  just like loungo number being retired makes no sense ,   if you are going by numbers or trophy,s won to have jerseys retired then ,  kelser and messiers numbers would be up there  too   ,  yes messier sucks  and it would never happen  but kesler   left like loui  so one could debate whether kesler number should be up there if  loungos number is hanging up  ,   just  saying if  lou.s number is retired your opening pandoras box of requirements to having jerseys retired

Edited by the grinder

8 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

oh don't get me wrong they are great players for this franchise.. but they probably wouldn't have retired their numbers in 95% of the teams.. let's be honest here.. if they never had the stanley cup run.. neither player would had their numbers retired.. the stanley cup run in 94 elevated Linden into the retired number just like it elevated captain Kirk into the RoH. 

I would say Luongo is attached to the city despite what happened.. i mean after all it is in this city that he elevated himself from stardom to franchise player level along with the gold medals etc etc. i don't think we'll retire his number now.. and probably not in a few years.. as most the bandwagoner fans here hates him for the cap recapture and wanting to leave the city even though the fanbase and media did their best to run him out of town. the cap recatpure have nothing to do with Luongo as it was a legit contract under the CBA, and Florida is the team that didn't want him on the LTIR, but heck it's Luongo's fault.. it always is

I don't understand why people think Luongo demanded a trade out. He was pretty much run out of town as you suggested. He didn't sign his lengthy contract because he wanted to leave in the middle of it, he thought he was going to be a Canuck for the rest of his career. It's this foolish fanbase that decided to support Schnieder over Luongo. Schnieder was more easily tradable for a better asset, but the damage had been done already only to be made worse when Torts sat Luongo in the BC Place game and put the writing on the wall. If we still had Luongo, Demko would be coming right in time to replace him and he likely wouldn't have retired just yet, but just taken less minutes at this point to split with Demko. Luongo would've chosen to go on LTIR for us rather than hit us with the recapture too. But yes, Luongo was the problem :rolleyes:

Anyway this doesn't have any bearing on whether his number should be retired or not, but I can't believe how some view it so differently.

35 minutes ago, the grinder said:

yep makes no sense  just like loungo number being retired makes no sense ,   if you are going by numbers or trophy,s won to have jerseys retired then ,  kelser and messiers numbers would be up there  too   ,  yes messier sucks  and it would never happen  but kesler   left like loui  so one could debate whether kesler number should be up there if  loungos number is hanging up  ,   just  saying if  lou.s number is retired your opening pandoras box of requirements to having jerseys retired

Trophies sure. Numbers no. Kesler had 1 elite season in his entire career. The rest were average, at least offensively. Luongo was elite for us for most of his time here. Luongo >>>>>> Kelser. It's not even close. 

1 hour ago, Yung1 said:

Trophies sure. Numbers no. Kesler had 1 elite season in his entire career. The rest were average, at least offensively. Luongo was elite for us for most of his time here. Luongo >>>>>> Kelser. It's not even close. 

wrong   kelser had some good numbers for a few season  always in the hunt for a selke  ,,  so if we are going by your criteria he should be considered for a jersey retirement,   loungo was good for a few season  , won a trophy  and that's it   just like kesler  good for a few season won a trophy  .   don't get me wrong I like lou I have his jersey  roh  but no to the rafters

51 minutes ago, the grinder said:

wrong   kelser had some good numbers for a few season  always in the hunt for a selke  ,,  so if we are going by your criteria he should be considered for a jersey retirement,   loungo was good for a few season  , won a trophy  and that's it   just like kesler  good for a few season won a trophy  .   don't get me wrong I like lou I have his jersey  roh  but no to the rafters

Lol dude, trophies are your criteria. And kesler was top 5 in selke voting 3 times as a canuck. Nominated twice. That's a far cry from always being in the hunt for the selke.

Lu didn't get a vezina, but was one of the most consistently elite goaltenders of his era, if not all-time. He's top 3 in All-time wins. he's top 10 in all-time save percentage. 9th all-time in shut outs. He put up the type of stats that are compared across the entire history of the game. Lu can easily be argued to be a top 10 goalie or all time. Kesler isn't even a top 10 player in his draft class.

Lu's going to the hall of fame. Kesler's name will never be said in the same sentence as hall of fame. Argument done.

Edited by Yung1

10 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

Lol dude, trophies are your criteria. And kesler was top 5 in selke voting 3 times as a canuck. Nominated twice. That's a far cry from always being in the hunt for the selke.

Lu didn't get a vezina, but was one of the most consistently elite goaltenders of his era, if not all-time. He's top 3 in All-time wins. he's top 10 in all-time save percentage. 9th all-time in shut outs. He put up the type of stats that are compared across the entire history of the game. Lu can easily be argued to be a top 10 goalie or all time. Kesler isn't even a top 10 player in his draft class.

Lu's going to the hall of fame. Kesler's name will never be said in the same sentence as hall of fame. Argument done.

we aren't talking about the hof  , it about  canucks jersey retirement   well he still not getting his number retired   so argument is done   ps linden and smyl aren't in the hall of fame yet their number is hanging up

Edited by the grinder

1 minute ago, the grinder said:

well he still not getting his number retired   so argument is done  

ok. I think he will, but I think there's a fair argument to made against him getting his number retired. I just thought it was silly to compare his impact to Kesler's.