The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Laine and Jets talks about contract 'non-existant', uncertain about future in Winnipeg

Odd.

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Trouba didn't want to be in Winnipeg

That’s a simplistic way to look at it. 

Trouba was a year away from UFA, and only wanted to play either in NY or close to it. So the Jets didn’t have much wiggle room, there.

Laine is 21 and, as far as anyone knows, doesn’t have a specific destination he would prefer to play for. And even if he does, he’s team controlled for 4 more years until UFA status. So Winnipeg has loads of options. Options they didn’t have with Trouba.

1 minute ago, Monty said:

Trouba was a year away from UFA, and only wanted to play either in NY or close to it. So the Jets didn’t have much wiggle room, there.

Laine is 21 and, as far as anyone knows, doesn’t have a specific destination he would prefer to play for. And even if he does, he’s team controlled for 4 more years until UFA status. So Winnipeg has loads of options. Options they didn’t have with Trouba.

I feel like Winnipeg could have gotten in front of this by trading him a few years ago. Seems like we been talking about him not wanting to be there for a while. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Good for Chevy. Laine is far from a complete hockey player and needs to improve in many areas. Thus, doesnt deserve any stupid numbers contract. Really admire Chevy for taking a stand. Laine is like one of those long drive golfing competitors. They can pound the ball, Laine can shoot, but neither are complete enough as players to make the big bucks. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

I feel like Winnipeg could have gotten in front of this by trading him a few years ago. Seems like we been talking about him not wanting to be there for a while. 

Definitely would have gotten more a few years ago. But then, what are the odds they make it to the Western Conference finals without him? Fact of the matter is he helped the team out immensely when he played for them. They got exactly out of him what they could have hoped for.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Not often you see two Finns in contract disputes or just unhappy in general. Is this indicative of the climate they are breeding in Finland where they are quickly becoming a hockey powerhouse or do y'all think this is just on a personal level between Laine, Poolparty & their respective management? Thank Hockey Jesus for the Swedes (LE not withstanding of course). 

• Wat 2

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

Definitely would have gotten more a few years ago. But then, what are the odds they make it to the Western Conference finals without him? Fact of the matter is he helped the team out immensely when he played for them. They got exactly out of him what they could have hoped for.

True, hard to tell what would have happened without. Especially since we don't know what Winnipeg could have gotten or who they could have picked up to replace him in Free Agency. Damned if you do damned if you don't I guess. Just sucks they couldn't get over the hump before having to dump him. Last season was a gut punch for me and I am not a huge Jets fan. Really wanted them to do some damage in the playoffs before the team inevitably had to move some pieces out.

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

True, hard to tell what would have happened without. Especially since we don't know what Winnipeg could have gotten or who they could have picked up to replace him in Free Agency. Damned if you do damned if you don't I guess. Just sucks they couldn't get over the hump before having to dump him. Last season was a gut punch for me and I am not a huge Jets fan. Really wanted them to do some damage in the playoffs before the team inevitably had to move some pieces out.

If Pionk can handle his own in a top 4 role this year I think they’ll be ok. Just shows that the cap being at $81.5 million instead of $83 million screwed quite a few teams. 

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Really wanted them to do some damage in the playoffs before the team inevitably had to move some pieces out.

It was pretty evident when February began that the team was not gelling, and thus, would be ousted pretty early on.

The big mistake was trading for Hayes and not recognizing that it wasn’t one piece away from a deep run. They just weren’t winning consistently enough going into the post-season. Hayes played well for them, but they didn’t have enough guys rolling at the same time.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Monty said:

It was pretty evident when February began that the team was not gelling, and thus, would be ousted pretty early on.

The big mistake was trading for Hayes and not recognizing that it wasn’t one piece away from a deep run. They just weren’t winning consistently enough going into the post-season. Hayes played well for them, but they didn’t have enough guys rolling at the same time.

I was in the "once Laine and Ehlers start rolling they'll be fine" camp all season. Boy did that not work out like I thought. I also thought the Hayes trade was pretty good, but I wasn't following the team super closely so you'll have more knowledge about that being good or bad. Move Laine for some picks and maybe a good young guy with upside I say. Which I am guessing is in the cards since they aren't speaking with Laine about an extension from the sounds of it.

7 minutes ago, Pears said:

If Pionk can handle his own in a top 4 role this year I think they’ll be ok. Just shows that the cap being at $81.5 million instead of $83 million screwed quite a few teams. 

Yeah talk all season was about the cap potentially going up. So it not going up definitely cut some teams at the knees. 

32 minutes ago, Monty said:

I don't know how simple it is, who has both the cap space and willingness to send high picks and an elite-ish player back the other way? 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Just weird to see a mod snapping at and belittling someone like that for fairly innocuous posts.  

Ah, I see. So you were just:

a. Assuming I was snapping, because, online; and

b. Inserting yourself into another convo where you didn’t understand the tone.

Cool.

• Wat 2