The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Laine and Jets talks about contract 'non-existant', uncertain about future in Winnipeg

Odd.

I watch the jets a fair bit as they are part of my regional coverage.  Laine went through an extended slump where he seemed to lose some swagger for a while.  I think going through that slump will be good for him long term as it shows a young player that you need to contribute in other ways when you aren’t scoring.  His shot and other scoring tools are so good he will score 30 routinely and really is a big threat to pot 40-50 per year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

Mirtle talking to executives and agents around the league says they are waiting for Marner to set the market. 

Sakic this week said that he hasn't had talks with Rantanen's camp since the draft.  Laine, Boeser and Rantanen are all by Octagon - different agents though.  

I can't see Boeser sitting out waiting for Marners deal, that doesn't make sense. 

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Sounds like Laine could care less, he knows he'll be paid many millions wherever he ends up.

Yah, must be really frightened to think he may have to move next season from the PEG to . Southern Cali or Florida.... and earn millions as a young guy in his early 20's......  .   Scarey stuff. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I can't see Boeser sitting out waiting for Marners deal, that doesn't make sense. 

If he wants to maximise his earnings.  Marner is going to get paid because Toronto has set a precedent with Matthews/Nylander.   

Laine's video game habits must be a concern for Chevy. Waiting him out with no contact is a bold move. Even if WPG re-signs him they are going to be a shell of their former team.

Chevy is going to have to get creative. Best move might be to parlay Connor or Laine for multiple quality pieces to help fill the massive holes in their lineup.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rekker said:

I would put Skinner in that category as well. Major difference is Skinner can skate circles around those two bums. I'm guessing Buffalo regrets that signing and again I praise Chevy for not overpaying a player strictly on goals. 

Kessel is a great skater, not sure what you’re talking about there. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Monty said:

That’s a simplistic way to look at it. 

Trouba was a year away from UFA, and only wanted to play either in NY or close to it. So the Jets didn’t have much wiggle room, there.

Laine is 21 and, as far as anyone knows, doesn’t have a specific destination he would prefer to play for. And even if he does, he’s team controlled for 4 more years until UFA status. So Winnipeg has loads of options. Options they didn’t have with Trouba.

They still need to simplify things. Starting with better than non existent communications?

For better? Or worse...

Chevy has been none to hold his leverage hammer.  It appears some players are not that scared of it. Go about their business & know at some point they will be able to leave. AKA Trouba as an example.

Good relations.  And wanting to be on the team might be a better situation?

Edited by Canuck Surfer

4 hours ago, rekker said:

Good for Chevy. Laine is far from a complete hockey player and needs to improve in many areas. Thus, doesnt deserve any stupid numbers contract. Really admire Chevy for taking a stand. Laine is like one of those long drive golfing competitors. They can pound the ball, Laine can shoot, but neither are complete enough as players to make the big bucks. 

And here is the opposite view! :towel:

Stand, or no stand? No communication does not suggest working on anything.  A good player, and players agent?  Will take a look at improvement area's.  And be in constant communication with their programs.  Lending to confidence the team can sign a player, who in good faith is trying to improve.

Edited by Canuck Surfer

Just now, Canuck Surfer said:

They still need to simplify things. Starting with better than non existent communications?

To be fair, we really don’t know how much is communicated between player and agent, and vice versa. It’s possible the Jets have said to Laine’s rep, “We’re sorting some things out internally, at which point we can discuss Laine’s contract.” Whether that gets communicated to him, or if he interprets that as, “Nothing has been discussed,” is entirely unknown.

He’s a 21 year old kid. Who knows how they choose to interpret things.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

And here is the opposite view! :towel:

Stand, or no stand? No communication does not suggest working on anything.  A good player, and players agent?  Will take a look at improvement area's.  And be in constant communication with their programs.  Lending to confidence the team can sign a player, who in good faith is trying to improve.

When it's all said and done, after a 50 point, -24 season, I'm betting it's a bridge deal. Makes sense for both sides.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

man if Boeser came out and said "Yeah, Vancouver's been OK, happy to land anywhere tho" there'd be literal tire fires. 

Laine's "chill" attitude would drive me nuts if I were a Winnipeg fan. Thank god I'm not. 

Do you remember the facetime interview he did leading up to the draft where he was laying in bed and talking about how he thought he was the #1 pick? Confidence is one thing but then again, look at EP. Sure he's confident but he knows he needs to get better. He doesn't take anything for granted.

Edited by VIC_CITY
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Monty said:

To be fair, we really don’t know how much is communicated between player and agent, and vice versa. It’s possible the Jets have said to Laine’s rep, “We’re sorting some things out internally, at which point we can discuss Laine’s contract.” Whether that gets communicated to him, or if he interprets that as, “Nothing has been discussed,” is entirely unknown.

He’s a 21 year old kid. Who knows how they choose to interpret things.

Or there is a large disparity in the offer and counter offer and Winterpeg is waiting for a more reasonable number and term.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I’m thinking a guy like Laine will score 50 goals plus multiple times over the next decade.  He should get 10 x 8 at least.

You think Marner not signing is holding up the works?

He could score 50 goals but he just scored 50 points. No way Laine gets $10M or 8 years. Right now he's looking at $7.5-$8M on bridge deal IMO.