The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Laine and Jets talks about contract 'non-existant', uncertain about future in Winnipeg

Odd.

2 hours ago, mll said:

If he wants to maximise his earnings.  Marner is going to get paid because Toronto has set a precedent with Matthews/Nylander.   

sure but Marner is really in his own tier. I guess anythings possible but I just can't see Boeser missing camp because Marners deal isn't done. 

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

Do you remember the facetime interview he did leading up to the draft where he was laying in bed and talking about how he thought he was the #1 pick? Confidence is one thing but then again, look at EP. Sure he's confident but he knows he needs to get better. He doesn't take anything for granted.

watching Petey take on and develop his defence play was one of the highlights last season.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

watching Petey take on and develop his defence play was one of the highlights last season.

He's basically the closest thing to Datsuyk I've ever seen.  Creative as hell but an absolute stud in his own end too.  If EP40 keeps developing in both ends he will win Selkes.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

That’s the tricky part. You have to be sponsored by a full member (not me). For the most part you need family in the Union. Applications are sold for as much as $60,000. 

I remember when they opened up a bunch of positions that they "accidentally" gave the wrong address to the public for applications and only a select few were given the correct address.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, rekker said:

I agree that goals are at a premium and goal scorers should be paid. Its more what do you pay for the goals if it comes with the dismal attempts at playing hockey that Laine often shows. I think this is the sticking point for Chevy. If Laine could actually play his own end, win a puck battle, or attempt a board battle then I would give him the money and I'm guessing Chevy would as well. 50 points and a minus 24 last year. Kid should be thankful for a decent bridge deal.

I fully agree with you.... I just think someone will cave lol. 

• Cheers 1

I think he's got great upside. 21? Room to grow. But I don't think Winnipeg as whole cares much for him, is the general sentiment I've gathered. 

They have too many big contracts to deal with. And I don't like their math going forward. Somethings gotta give and somebody's got to go. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think he's got great upside. 21? Room to grow. But I don't think Winnipeg as whole cares much for him, is the general sentiment I've gathered. 

They have too many big contracts to deal with. And I don't like their math going forward. Somethings gotta give and somebody's got to go. 

Considering talks are as he said “non-existent” my take is Laine’s initial ask was way too high - and that WNP is likely looking to trade him to bolster their ravaged defense.  If I was Chevy that’s what I’d be looking to do.   Maybe Provorov plus would get it done. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I feel like Laine is a one dimensional player. 

Great goal scorer, but he seems to be a goal scorer only, and doesn't really use his linemates very well. 

What is Laine asking for? 

Not sure what he's asking for, but Skinner got 9 million a year for pretty much the same thing, but he was an RFA.

13 hours ago, King Heffy said:

If EP40 keeps developing 

I think thats one of the main reasons behind trading the 1st for Miller. Petey needs partners capable of lifting his game and vice versa. He hasn't had a LW that can do that yet. Yeah its a big price but I love the potential. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, rekker said:

Question. At this point considering the possible contract demands, age, past points, etc. Would you trade Boeser for Laine. I vote. No. 

Nope.

Laine is a better player, but he will want $2-3 million more than Boeser gets.... and he isn’t THAT much better.

• Upvote 1