The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Laine and Jets talks about contract 'non-existant', uncertain about future in Winnipeg

Odd.

22 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I feel like Laine is a one dimensional player. 

Great goal scorer, but he seems to be a goal scorer only, and doesn't really use his linemates very well. 

What is Laine asking for? 

Exactly what the Canucks need; goals.

Because you know, that’s how we win games; goals.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Not without goals.

well, you obviously have to score too. but if you can't defend, then scoring really doesn't matter. 

You could say that Boston was able to score, in 2011, but they also held the Canucks with their defensive play. The Canucks on the other hand, you could say, couldn't score, and couldn't defend, which led them to lose the championship. 

2 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I would be calling the flyers.... Seeing if Sean couturier is on the market. They might be able to get one of those high end left handed Ds too. Sean and mark down the middle would be the best the jets ever had. 

The Flyers felt they were weak down the middle.  They gave Kevin Hayes 50M to be their C2 behind Couturier because they want to keep Giroux on Couturier's wing.  They've also traded for veterans RDs Braun & Niskanen to help develop their young core LDs.   

17 minutes ago, mll said:

The Flyers felt they were weak down the middle.  They gave Kevin Hayes 50M to be their C2 behind Couturier because they want to keep Giroux on Couturier's wing.  They've also traded for veterans RDs Braun & Niskanen to help develop their young core LDs.   

True but couturier for Laine is pretty fair value on both side and flyers have Nolan too. 

48 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

True but couturier for Laine is pretty fair value on both side and flyers have Nolan too. 

They don't see Nolan as ready to be a top-6 C.  The Flyers want to compete now.  Their top-6 wing looks solid with Giroux, JvR, Konecny and Voracek.  Fletcher talked of how at times they lacked resiliency and gave up too easily on plays.  Trading Couturier wouldn't help them when Laine still needs to learn how to play away from the puck and bring the work ethic consistently.  

Edited by mll

5 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

Couturier for Laine is overpayment on Phillys part.

Scorers like Laine don't get traded often and yea couturier is a beast but I still think it's fair value. 

Top player for a top player kinda deal. Wpg needs to do something , they have some good wingers but their centres have been their weak point. 

19 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Scorers like Laine don't get traded often and yea couturier is a beast but I still think it's fair value. 

Top player for a top player kinda deal. Wpg needs to do something , they have some good wingers but their centres have been their weak point. 

C was also the Flyers weak point per Fletcher before the signing of Hayes.  Couturier is a 26 year old C1 at 4.33M for another 3 years.  He had over 76pts (over 30 goals) the past 2 seasons.  

Edited by mll

10 hours ago, Me_ said:

Most definitely. Glad he got a three year extension.

I'm happy that Benning got extended as well.

Hoping that Benning continues to improve on all other areas of his managerial skills. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, mll said:

C was also the Flyers weak point per Fletcher before the signing of Hayes.  Couturier is a 26 year old C1 at 4.33M for another 3 years.  He had over 76pts (over 30 goals) the past 2 seasons.  

Interesting to note that Couturier was for the first several seasons of his NHL career, averaging around 30-40 points a season, and then he suddenly bursted out offensively, like you say, the last two years with 76 point seasons. If that's where Sean's at, at 26 years old, then I'm excited about where Bo's going to be at by the time he's around that age. 80 point player possibly during his peak years? 

5 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

WNP would be better off with one of PHI young d studs...plus whatever is needed to balance things out.  PHI would have to have the cap space for Laine too...

46 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Interesting to note that Couturier was for the first several seasons of his NHL career, averaging around 30-40 points a season, and then he suddenly bursted out offensively, like you say, the last two years with 76 point seasons. If that's where Sean's at, at 26 years old, then I'm excited about where Bo's going to be at by the time he's around that age. 80 point player possibly during his peak years? 

Sure maybe if he was centering EP and Boeser he could do that, which is what SC is basically doing now in PHI although both his linemates are proven vets...one scored 100 points too..

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

If that's where Sean's at, at 26 years old, then I'm excited about where Bo's going to be at by the time he's around that age. 80 point player possibly during his peak years? 

Pretty sure Couts problem was an ice-time problem before they moved Giroux to wing full time. He exploded as soon as he was given a top 6 C position.

So I doubt Horvat will have a similar improvement since he's always been a top 6 C. He may get a bit better with better linemates though.

I remember Couturier also being heavily touted as a potential 1st overall pick in his junior days before falling off a tiny bit. The potential was always there I suppose.

As for Laine, if he's wanting anywhere over 8 million at this point, not worth it imo. He's got the potential to be a top notch scorer in the league though (which we all know) and it seems it's what he's hoping to bank in on. He had an absolute horrid year last year. 

1 hour ago, .Naslund said:

I remember Couturier also being heavily touted as a potential 1st overall pick in his junior days before falling off a tiny bit. The potential was always there I suppose.

As for Laine, if he's wanting anywhere over 8 million at this point, not worth it imo. He's got the potential to be a top notch scorer in the league though (which we all know) and it seems it's what he's hoping to bank in on. He had an absolute horrid year last year. 

I think GM's need to take a stand on the RFA front.  They have no leverage and they completely hamstring teams going fwd.  Marner would be the exception, as Dumbass has already set the bar with AM, who is the inferior player to Marner........he really has no choice but to pony up.

If Laine, Boes, Tkachunk etc want to hold out for UFA level money, then let them or move them.