The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Laine and Jets talks about contract 'non-existant', uncertain about future in Winnipeg

Odd.

10 hours ago, stawns said:

I think GM's need to take a stand on the RFA front.  They have no leverage and they completely hamstring teams going fwd.  Marner would be the exception, as Dumbass has already set the bar with AM, who is the inferior player to Marner........he really has no choice but to pony up.

If Laine, Boes, Tkachunk etc want to hold out for UFA level money, then let them or move them.

I wonder how long before we start seeing more young players doing what Nylander did though... while I think Nylander is a poor example of someone who had some level of right to hold out, there are a number of young players who are being payed pennies on the dollar during their elc’s. 

2 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

I wonder how long before we start seeing more young players doing what Nylander did though... while I think Nylander is a poor example of someone who had some level of right to hold out, there are a number of young players who are being payed pennies on the dollar during their elc’s. 

It might become a bit of a trend, but I doubt it will be the norm.  Big money, big term contracts are earned after years of showing consistent production and impact play in the playoffs.........young players haven't proven enough, imo, and we'll see it back firing on GM's (see Dumbass) in a big way and they'll dig on bridge contracts.

On 8/16/2019 at 2:29 PM, rekker said:

Smart GM's arent stupid though. 44 goals sure, but how, who against, when the goals are scored matter a lot. Laine rides high scoring against weak teams, bad systems, teams or goalies having a bad night. Does he score when you need it and when the games are tough? Just the eye test for me and I dont have stats to back it but he strikes me as the "pad the stats night" kind of player. 

Laine has 16 points (8-8-16) in 23 career playoff games.  Not exceptional but not terrible either.

So, is Laine and Tkachuk etc waiting for Marner to sign his new contract before they do? What if Marner goes into the regular season still unsigned? I'm not too worries about Brock's contract, as I know that will eventually get done. I'm just waiting for the dominos to fall (Marner signing), and curious what Tkachuk and Laine will be paid. I heard Tkachuk's agent gave the Flames an offer (top dollar) in June, and the Flames still haven't come back with a counter. It sounds like Tkachuk isn't budging. Swell guy. 

10 minutes ago, Crimson said:

Laine has 16 points (8-8-16) in 23 career playoff games.  Not exceptional but not terrible either.

That's a deceiving stat. Just going from memory they weren't scored when most needed. I seem to remember the points coming when the team has got the game in hand or the opposition is having an off night. I stand by what I say as an overrated player that doesn't make the difference when most needed. He's still young but time will tell where he fits as a player you win with comparative to what he will get paid under a cap system. 

1 minute ago, rekker said:

That's a deceiving stat. Just going from memory they weren't scored when most needed. I seem to remember the points coming when the team has got the game in hand or the opposition is having an off night. I stand by what I say as an overrated player that doesn't make the difference when most needed. He's still young but time will tell where he fits as a player you win with comparative to what he will get paid under a cap system. 

Goals only matter when you're playing a top team or you are losing.  Got it.

7 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Not a huge Jets fan..but their fanbase seems pretty cool & passionate. Feel kinda bad for them. cos' this guy's a headcase.

I'm from Winnipeg, have all of my family there, lots of friends who are hockey fans, and most of them agree that Laine is a lazy bum. He can still produce, but I guess it's the other aspects of his game. They see some of their other players (Scheifele, Little, Wheeler, Connor) giving their all, while Laine just floats ariound waiting for a pass.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, Crimson said:

Goals only matter when you're playing a top team or you are losing.  Got it.

When you score your goals and who against is a big deal. Huge. It's how you win championships and get to the playoffs to begin with. Big difference if a goal is scored against a division rival you are fighting tooth and nail for a playoff spot with vs a bottom feeder. A goal scored during a playoff game that is out of hand vs a tight checking contest where that one goal is the winner. Even strength vs PP. For sure, huge difference with when a goal is scored. 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 3:22 AM, N4ZZY said:

well, you obviously have to score too. but if you can't defend, then scoring really doesn't matter. 

You could say that Boston was able to score, in 2011, but they also held the Canucks with their defensive play. The Canucks on the other hand, you could say, couldn't score, and couldn't defend, which led them to lose the championship. 

If you can’t score, defense really doesn’t matter either...

On 8/20/2019 at 12:38 PM, NUCKER67 said:

So, is Laine and Tkachuk etc waiting for Marner to sign his new contract before they do? What if Marner goes into the regular season still unsigned? I'm not too worries about Brock's contract, as I know that will eventually get done. I'm just waiting for the dominos to fall (Marner signing), and curious what Tkachuk and Laine will be paid. I heard Tkachuk's agent gave the Flames an offer (top dollar) in June, and the Flames still haven't come back with a counter. It sounds like Tkachuk isn't budging. Swell guy. 

If the Flames haven't countered, why does Tkachuk need to budge? If the Flames aren't negotiating, then wouldn't management not be doing their jobs?

• Cheers 1