The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Laine and Jets talks about contract 'non-existant', uncertain about future in Winnipeg

Odd.

Laine had 50 points 82 games

Boeser had 56 in 69 games

Tkachuk has 77 in 80

Marner had 94 in 82

despite being in the same age group, Laine is in no business asking for Marner type money or the rumored 10 million he is after.  He is not even on the tier of Tkachuk although Laine's agent can attempt previous years negotiating.  Players are negotiated on teams more recent performance.

If anything they are acutally waiting on what Boeser will sign for then Chevy will use that as the basis of what he will offer.

On 8/20/2019 at 1:22 AM, The Great Canucks said:

Laine is trash just like the jests

Laine had a tough year for the high standards he set for himself with his first 2 seasons. He might lack that edge or compete but man can he rip a puck. He's only 21. He's not a phenom but a very gifted scorer. If he can add some speed and tenacity to his game, he will become extremely valuable to the Jets or whatever team he skates for.

And the numbers don't lie when it comes to his top end shot. Laine has scored 110 goals since 2016-17, sixth most in the NHL in that span. Accomplishing this from ages 19-21 is in a word, impressive.

Keep in mind, his goals and assists would increase if he were to find a permanent home alongside Scheiffle and Wheeler. Unfortunately for him, Connor has claimed that spot in their lineup over the past year and a half.

I'm banking for Laine to bet on himself this coming season and score 45+ goals. I think he is a proud guy and wants to put the rest of the hockey world on notice.

*Not worth 10 million. Not even close. I think if he wants that type of money he should sign a bridge deal and prove it with his play and show consistency for a few years and crack 80-90 points per.

• Upvote 3

I think people are underrating Laine on these boards. He's a perennial 30 goal scorer, and scored 44 goals in only his second season. He had a bad year last year, other than his ridiculous November, but I'm sure he'll find more consistency in the future. Is he worth $10 mil a year? No, not yet. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/1/2019 at 11:46 AM, NaveJoseph said:

I think people are underrating Laine on these boards. He's a perennial 30 goal scorer, and scored 44 goals in only his second season. He had a bad year last year, other than his ridiculous November, but I'm sure he'll find more consistency in the future. Is he worth $10 mil a year? No, not yet. 

No ones questioning his goal scoring potential. They’re bringing up that that’s the ONLY thing he brings to the table, and he’s inconsistent with it. Which is why he isn’t worth the exorbitant price tags people are throwing around.

• Upvote 1

On 9/2/2019 at 5:45 AM, 70seven said:

Rumours of Laine for Svechnikov floating around. 

I'll take Svech.  All things considered.

Who knew?  Among Aho, Juolevi, Laine & Puljujarvi; Aho would be the hands down best player...

Something rotten in all of them except Aho?

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

No ones questioning his goal scoring potential. They’re bringing up that that’s the ONLY thing he brings to the table, and he’s inconsistent with it. Which is why he isn’t worth the exorbitant price tags people are throwing around.

But goal scorers like him get paid.