The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, stawns said:

After the off season he just had, I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised or why they would complain about it.

Not complaining but wouldn’t it make more sense to extend him after this upcoming season? What if all these off-season moves are all flops and we miss the playoffs yet again? That would be 5 out of 6 years, we would have missed the playoffs in his tenure. 

I guess Aquaman is playing with his house money and hoping we finally make the playoffs after a 4 year hiatus.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

It’s funny how Gillis gets a pass because he was chasing a cup when he misses on Booth or Ballard or Kassian or Pahlsson but JB going after a young former 3OA in Gudbranson during a rebuild (which Guddy could have been a part of) is somehow egregious.  I don’t actually blame Gillis for most of those moves, because most of them made sense at the time.  It’s just funny how JB generally doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt on a lot of his moves.  

Guddy, of course, reminding us of Willie Mitchell who Gillis let walk upon his acquisition of Ballard.. who cost Grabner (STILL scoring 27 goals in 17/18 and on pace for 18 last year) PLUS a first round pick.... not to mention likely a cup.)

Again, I don’t think it’s necessarily fair to paint Gillis under this light... but that’s exactly what JB detractors do on a daily basis. 

I even liked Gillis back in the day but let’s be real here. Sure he made a couple of moves to push us over the top, but the core was already in place. Hamhuis and Samuelsson were his two biggest signings and his drafting was literally non-existent outside of Horvat. Like could you imagine the reactions if McCann turns into Benning’s Grabner? They’d latch on to it and never give it up. 

• Cheers 1

YES......

Great news... Well deserved Jim. 

This is the most positive I've seen Canucks land since 2012... 

Goes to show that owners have total faith in Jim Benning and his team building.... 

So bloody happy... :towel:

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah, because trading first round picks is not the ideal way to rebuild our club...

How about not making these dumb replies that prove you have no clue what you are talking about? Go back to HF Boards and cry about it with your special little buddies.

He only traded one first round pick, and it's for the 2020 or 2021 draft. He didn't trade any during our rebuild. How long do you expect us to be rebuilding for, anyways? When do we actually try and improve?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Nice to see as it says that he has time to finish rebuild. Their is tons yet to do. No team needs a lame duck GM who makes decisions just to protect his job. We need stability and to maintain a stable direction.  We don't have to agree with everything that Jim has done but we all must agree that there has been some solid young talent drafted in the last couple of years. I wish we had of kept more picks and didn't like seeing them move a first this year but I prefer to see status quo then someone new come in with a win now agenda.

Hopefully they will be able to make a trade or two and clear some cap space ,maybe add a pick or two.

Boeser

Pettersson

Hughes

Podkolzin

Juolevi

Demko

Virtanen

Gaudette

Tryamkin

Hoglander

Madden

Woo

Lind

among others. 

Congrats JB. Well deserved. 

Always remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day but it was built one day at a time. Same as a Stanley Cup championship team. 

Keep up the great work and Setyoureyes ontheprize

IMG_0576.JPG.9719c0a45402b4539d5ff7491840a8a8.JPG

• Upvote 4

I know it is the nature of this board that people think this is a great move or think it is awful.  

He hasn't been a great GM but he hasn't been terrible either.  He came into a team in a terrible situation and with no lottery luck has built the teams new core through the draft.

He has however had a lot of things that are easy to be critical of.  Bleeding pics in deals for average at best vets.  Overpaying in UFA and being way too reliant on UFAs to stock the club.  Numerous deals handed out to just bad players.  Being a little too old school in his interpretation of the league. 

I think keeping him is a good thing as he does the most important part of the job well, he drafts well.  My problem is with ownership not finding the people to compliment his weaknesses.  After TL left they had a great opportunity to add a president that would help to complement him and we have heard nothing but crickets.

• Upvote 1