The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

If jb had a team at their peak you can bet he would trade away the 1st round picks to make a run. Your attitude to mg is naive. 

And you’re negative / ignorant!!! Don’t like everything Jim’s done, fine! But, you can at least acknowledge the things he’s done well and it far outweighs the negative! You have to be blind, def and dumb not to recognize it!!

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Great to see JB get this extension. Consistency is very important in building a winning team.

Drafting has been his strength and he has his weaknesses like many others.

Gillis gets way too much credit by some here for the team that went to the finals in 11. That was mostly built by Burke and Nonis.

Brian Burke gets a lot of the Credit for Anaheim's cup but really the Murray brothers built that team. Burke added Pronger but that was a no brainer trade at the time.

Its always essential to ad pieces to compliment what you have drafted. Yes giving up the first round pic for Miller could hurt but it will hurt a lot less if JT puts up 30 goals or becomes a catalyst for the power play with his passing skill.

Things are starting to look a lot better as we look at the prospects Jim has acquired and next season we shed a lot of cap space and if the players we have in the system make a jump this could get special in a hurry.

He just needs to get Brocks signature on a contract and he has had an excellent summer. Good job Jim

We stand to shed most of the team in the next four years.   Some of those guys could get re-upped, but most will go in favour of cheaper and better alternatives, AG, Woo, OJ, Madden all look promising - Hogs too...but even if they aren’t ready or won’t ever play Benning can find other cheap new place holders or make trades using some of these guys.   The team we have now will look nothing like the one we will have three-four years from now...and how well he does and the prospects do will depend on how far we go.   Hard to see us not having a good window, even before the shedding starts...

Out - Schaller, Goldobin, Leivo, Sutter, Tanev, Edler, LE, Pearson, Beagle, Rousell, Bear...over the next 3 years.  That’s 11 players .... Markstrom maybe too.  12.   Plus maybe one or two others. Don’t see any of them getting re-upped past that time. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

We stand to shed most of the team in the next four years.   Some of those guys could get re-upped, but most will go in favour of cheaper and better alternatives, AG, Woo, OJ, Madden all look promising - Hogs too...but even if they aren’t ready or won’t ever play Benning can find other cheap new place holders or make trades using some of these guys.   The team we have now will look nothing like the one we will have three-four years from now...and how well he does and the prospects do will depend on how far we go.   Hard to see us not having a good window, even before the shedding starts...

Out - Schaller, Goldobin, Leivo, Sutter, Tanev, Edler, LE, Pearson, Beagle, Rousell, Bear...over the next 3 years.  That’s 11 players .... Markstrom maybe too.  12.   Plus maybe one or two others. Don’t see any of them getting re-upped past that time. 

Thats the point fully. The drafted players come along to replace the contracts of some of the players that will be gone. Sutter Tanev Edler and Eriksson will turn it over to Gaudette, Hughes, Woo, Juolevi and as long as the current group grows adding the likes of Podkolzin to what looks like a decent top 6, like i said it could get special in a hurry.

It might take another trade, one that some will cry about again to get to the finals and maybe win it this time but the core pieces are starting to come together.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm glad he was extended now, as it gives the team stability moving forward instead of wondering if Jim's being replaced and what direction new management will take.

But more importantly this gives fans something to talk about in the dog days of summer!

Onward and upward Jimbo!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, shiznak said:

Not complaining but wouldn’t it make more sense to extend him after this upcoming season? What if all these off-season moves are all flops and we miss the playoffs yet again? That would be 5 out of 6 years, we would have missed the playoffs in his tenure. 

I guess Aquaman is playing with his house money and hoping we finally make the playoffs after a 4 year hiatus.

No, it wouldn't have made sense to have a lame duck GM.

• Cheers 1

Posts like these:

11 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Jb -  so i got an extension

i guess i didnt need to trade a first round pick then to save my job

my bad.  Oops 

9 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I don't think it's well deserved at all. He has done 1/3 of his job well and the rest has been a crap shoot. Here's hoping this isnt a mistake and jb had learned from his terrible mistakes. 

make the posters appear to be ignorant, stupid or dishonest.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3