Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

So now I get to listen to the morning guys on 650 go on about how JB only has what ? 4 years to show he can stop making mistakes, poor trades, poorer Free Agency and JUST ok drafting lol.

Love that he is getting extended and will continue to shape the Canucks moving forward for the foreseeable future.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

Gillis was a...

superb manager when it came to taking care of the players (being innovative and creating a good atmosphere)

Decent manager when it came to trades and contracts. People can whine about nmc’s all they want, Gillis and Co did a good job of structuring contracts to help the team compete in its window.  (Sure it came back to bite BUT had we won game seven who cares?)

Poor manager when it came to drafting and developing.  I don’t think I need to go into detail on this lol. Horvat was a gem but the teams prospect pool and development wasn’t great under MG. 

Ultimately the team imploded after the game 7 loss to Boston.  Gillis needed to be a little quicker to recognize that (although I think FA had his hand on that a bit) and he lost his job.  The hate I see for him on here confuses me though, he did a pretty good job with what he had imho. 

...more on topic, glad to see JB re upped.  Here’s to a Stanley cup in the next 3 years ::D

• Hydration 1

24 minutes ago, Nuck1991 said:

IMG_20190817_163558.jpg

JB finding his inner Quin.   Love it.

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah utica was top team last yr in the ahl.   Right ?

oh yah. U prefer dreams / hopes over facts 

Well when Benning took over the entire team needed replacing with Tanev being the only player under 27 worth hanging onto. Utica went on a playoff run that year with our top prospects being Shinkaruk, Jensen, and Corrado. None of them NHL'ers. Meaning even Utica needed a full overhaul for prospects. How do you replace two full teams (46 players) in 5 years? Particularly Utica where any decent prospect has fans calling for them to be brought up to the big club.

We do have quality prospects. What many analysts consider top 5 in the league. They're not all in Utica as yet though. 

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Gillis was a...

superb manager when it came to taking care of the players (being innovative and creating a good atmosphere)

Decent manager when it came to trades and contracts. People can whine about nmc’s all they want, Gillis and Co did a good job of structuring contracts to help the team compete in its window.  (Sure it came back to bite BUT had we won game seven who cares?)

Poor manager when it came to drafting and developing.  I don’t think I need to go into detail on this lol. Horvat was a gem but the teams prospect pool and development wasn’t great under MG. 

Ultimately the team imploded after the game 7 loss to Boston.  Gillis needed to be a little quicker to recognize that (although I think FA had his hand on that a bit) and he lost his job.  The hate I see for him on here confuses me though, he did a pretty good job with what he had imho. 

...more on topic, glad to see JB re upped.  Here’s to a Stanley cup in the next 3 years ::D

I agree with all of this except that the team imploded after game seven.  I’d say MG imploded the team after game seven.  If TB beat Boston in game seven we’d have ripped them apart in five games at most.  We got unlucky and Tim Thomas stood on his head.  Simple as that.  Should have calmed the team down and stayed with the exact same crew for the next year and made a few minor tweaks at most (lesser then Coho, he was thrown into the deep end in Buffalo, if he stayed under a sheltered role here who knows - our first ranking PP had a lot to do with him because he helped pick up the slack when our number one became too predictable).  Instead Gillis completely crapped the bed and started dismantling the team both with activity and inactivity (goaltending fiasco).  The LA series would have been different, had we won the cup might have been ours.

10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Ha ha.  Most impact NHLers spend a year at most in the AHL if they play there at all.   Based on who wins the cup in the AHL each year and who wins the actual cup it means nothing at all.  The College system and Euro teams mean a lot more then they used to in developing players - you have to consider age (the gap year - who’s still in Juniors) and the entirety of each piece when looking at a teams depth.  Personally my favourite indicator of a teams future success is looking at the best 21 and unders in the world - currently we rank 3rd when it comes to players  under 21 and under.  How good was our AHL team when we were at the top of the league I wonder ?!   Having a great AHL team would be nice.   But if it’s a bunch of Boucher’s and an unsigned fifth string goalie winning the cup does it really mean anything?  

just like most ahl  teams are stocked with veteran ahl players  , it just not a bunch rookies from drafts on the team ,   that's why you have ahl contracts ,2 way contracts and entry level contracts   , most ahl teams carry like 10-15 players that are exclusive to a nhl  team ,    I guess people forget marky great run for Utica that made it to the finals for the ahl  lol

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, the grinder said:

zack McEwen  oj  gaudette , this year u have teves  rafferty   lind  gadovich? mostly 2nd rounders and below  

I like Big Mac and Rafferty, but are they still U22?  I missed Lind though.  

38 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah utica was top team last yr in the ahl.   Right ?

oh yah. U prefer dreams / hopes over facts 

Well when Benning took over the entire team needed replacing with Tanev being the only player under 27 worth hanging onto. Utica went on a playoff run that year with our top prospects being Shinkaruk, Jensen, and Corrado. None of them NHL'ers. Meaning even Utica needed a full overhaul for prospects. How do you replace two full teams (46 players) in 5 years? Particularly Utica where any decent prospect has fans calling for them to be brought up to the big club.

We do have quality prospects. What many analysts consider top 5 in the league. They're not all in Utica as yet though. But often in the AHL, as in 14/15 for us, it's not your prospects that make the team good - it's veteran AHL'ers that never make the NHL full time.

You can go on about facts and dreams but how about just being realistic.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On MG vs JB: They basically played out(judge them by their deeds, not words), as polar opposites. Their strengths/weaknesses almost appear diametrically opposed.

I'd accept that we had the right gent at the right time. I've long lamented the poor drafting, for almost a decade(about '06-2012), but in a strange way, maybe that allowed us to completely clear the decks, & set out on a completely new course.

Thank goodness for the drafting of JB's stint, thus far!

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like Big Mac and Rafferty, but are they still U22?  I missed Lind though.  

big mac is  rafferty and teves are 23 I believe  plus  gadojovich  chatterfield    but we have a lot of u22 elsewhere 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, the grinder said:

big mac is  rafferty and teves are 23 I believe  plus  gadojovich  chatterfield    but we have a lot of u22 elsewhere 

Another poster was asking about our prospects in Utica last season that will be NHL players for us in coming years.  I only saw OJ in the U22 group.  Missed Lind and Big Mac though.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Another poster was asking about our prospects in Utica last season that will be NHL players for us in coming years.  I only saw OJ in the U22 group.  Missed Lind and Big Mac though.  

ya we haven't drafted much from major junior  so that explains why we don't have a lot of players in Utica  

10 minutes ago, Baggins said:

We do have quality prospects. What many analysts consider top 5 in the league. They're not all in Utica as yet though. But often in the AHL, as in 14/15 for us, it's not your prospects that make the team good - it's veteran AHL'ers that never make the NHL full time.

You can go on about facts and dreams but how about just being realistic.

Seeing the lack of responses lately I think King got the same fate as Where’d Luongo?. Thread should be much more peaceful now. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Pears said:

Seeing the lack of responses lately I think King got the same fate as Where’d Luongo?. Thread should be much more peaceful now. 

Once again weak sauce 

real canuck fans can handle healthy discussions about our club 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Once again weak sauce 

real canuck fans can handle healthy discussions about our club 

You’ve said the same thing for most of this thread. That’s not healthy discussion. 

• Hydration 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Pears said:

You’ve said the same thing for most of this thread. That’s not healthy discussion. 

Not sure who put u in charge here LOL

• Haha 1