The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, mikeyman109 said:

When all you have in the argument is to post the record of the team the last four years and you continue to use the same point you should expect similar reactions from people. It isnt ganging up its simply the masses reacting to what isnt a strong argument and really a vapid post

Exactly! I feel bad for Jim / the organization at times the way the media & large chunk of fans act. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, mikeyman109 said:

I have lived a 49 year Canucks bubble and I can tell you there have been worse periods of time than this. Here there is hope for the year coming. At times before Pat Quinn there was no hope and a threat the team would move

For sure! Just over 30 for me. The Canucks history / all the other teams histories put our current situation in perspective and things are looking good for us, maybe the best ever. Hard not to see.

• Upvote 2

Just now, mikeyman109 said:

This isnt new , back in the 80's stupid people would call in to Dan Russels Sports talk show and ask why the GM didnt trade Sandlak , Smyl , Gradin and Fraser to Edmonton for Gretzky. Being a sports fan or a fan of a team doesnt mean you have to have intelligence.

Crazy! Dumb isn’t new for sure. Lol! But, for the first time in 30 years, I feel like the dumb and especially the negativity is at an all time high / overwhelming! 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, IRR said:

Crazy! Dumb isn’t new for sure. Lol! But, for the first time in 30 years, I feel like the dumb and especially the negativity is at an all time high / overwhelming! 

no it isnt any higher or lower its just more in your face with technology and the ability of the fan to be heard especially on these type of boards. I dont dislike the passion. We all want the team to do well and we all have differing opinions on what should be done but to complain a rebuilding team with no prospects left from the previous management didnt make the playoffs for four years is just silly.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mikeyman109 said:

no it isnt any higher or lower its just more in your face with technology and the ability of the fan to be heard especially on these type of boards. I dont dislike the passion. We all want the team to do well and we all have differing opinions on what should be done but to complain a rebuilding team with no prospects left from the previous management didnt make the playoffs for four years is just silly.

Very valid point! 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, IRR said:

Very valid point! 

I will defend everyone's right to have a different opinion , mine isn't always the same as others, but i listen to other arguments and try to see their point of view. Its not a debate but a discussion. If you are getting a lot of people say your opinion is flawed sometimes its a good thing to look in the mirror and see if they have a point.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I will defend everyone's right to have a different opinion , mine isn't always the same as others, but i listen to other arguments and try to see their point of view. Its not a debate but a discussion. If you are getting a lot of people say your opinion is flawed sometimes its a good thing to look in the mirror and see if they have a point.

Well said! I try to do the same, but it stopped for a couple people yesterday because of the flawed part. Lol! I felt bad after, because I lowered myself to their level (to a degree) because I was dead tired of the flawed option / negativity. I’ll have to try not to do that as much...heck, I already blocked 3 people yesterday, so that should help. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

This is the funniest part IMO :lol:

People act like 4 (or 5) years is an eternity to rebuild an entire organization top to bottom :blink: :lol:

Let's look at a few teams recently on the 'up' that people like to envy for their rebuilds...

COL - Missed playoffs 8 of 11 years rebuilding until 17/18 season.

WPG - Missed 5 of 6 years while rebuilding (and 10 of 11 before that in Atlanta :sick:).

TOR - Missed 10 of 11 years.

NYI - Missed 8 of 12.

That we appear about 1-2 years 'behind' COL's rebuild after only missing the playoffs for 4 years (and going to a cup final in 2011/winning the president's cup in 2012 no less!) is REALLY fast.

All they have to do is look around, but I guess that’s too hard for some. Lol!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, IRR said:

Nice to see! And deserved. If it was on TSN 1040.....well.....

the TSN poll question would be "what do you hate most about the Benning signing" or something typically crappy.

I really want Jake to take that next step this year, he seems like maybe his brain has caught up to his body and he's mature enough to get there. If Juolevi makes it too all the negative ninnies might blow a gasket. 

• Upvote 4