The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

ef8.jpg

Did you actually see our club as emerging as a playoff team last year.... ?

Did you see all the injuries last few seasons / a team that was still competitive / not far off anyway? Did you see all the work / changes this summer? 

You don't have to like everything, but you can at least give credit where credit is due! If you can’t see where this team is actually at, then I can’t help you. 

• Upvote 2

JB has done a great job over the past couple years but I also didn’t expect this. I had really thought that ownership was waiting to see if he was going to make the playoffs this year. I feel more confident then ever that the 2 are on the same page. It’s nice to see. I’m sure there’s still pressure to make it this year and honestly it would be nice to get that draft pick out of the way this season. 

Congrats JB!

Wow, gonna be fun watching twitter burn!!!

This is the right move and regardless of the pessimists, Benning deserves a couple more years to see things through (consistency is important at this point and Benning has shown an ability to learn and/or move on from his mistakes). I hope they bring in someone who can deal with negotiations, etc. to help navigate the next five years financially. They are ok with respect to the Cap but need to be careful.

4 minutes ago, Pears said:

Considering we were in playoff contention until the last few weeks when all the injuries caught up yes, we could have been a playoff team if we had better depth, and Benning addressed that this summer. You’d really have to be next level dense to not see that. 

Exactly!!! He’s just negative to be negative!! We weren’t far off despite all the injuries & we made massive changes this off season.

He also wants to rebuilt / get high draft picks, but not miss playoffs for a few years.

Some people are daft!! 

• Cheers 3

Why are there people who act as though the team did EVERYTHING in their power to be as good as they possibly could over the last 4 years ? I can think of a bunch of things they could have undertaken that would have made the record more impressive but would have compromised the future.  I don't think the execution has been flawless (only a fool would expect it to be) but you would have to be a real glass-half-empty kind of guy not to see significant future building over that time (yes I realize picking high aids that objective).

• Cheers 3
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, IRR said:

Exactly!!! He’s just negative to be negative!! We weren’t far off despite all the injuries & we made massive changes this off season.

He also wants to rebuilt / get high draft picks, but not miss playoffs for a few years.

Some people are daft!! 

Some have the mindset where they think trades they make in be a gm mode with sliders on easy can happen in real life then get mad when they don’t. Those people need a reality check. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

So what does a guy like gmjb make anyway?

( Not that it's any of my business)

You can usually bet that the average GM will make more than the coach, since coaches moving into management in the past have been regarded as being "promoted"
salaries for GM's aren't listed anywhere to my knowledge but you can rest assured it's north of $1-2 Million USD a season. 
Travis Green is making $1M USD this season and next.

Edited by fecklund