The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pre-season Poll #2

-SN-

Do you like the Benning extension?  

304 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If I had to pick, I'd say yay, but he made a lot of big and risky moves this summer, so I'd have preferred to wait until later this year to ensure he didn't just royally screw up.

That said, up until this point, I think he's done a great job overall, so I'm fine with it.

• Upvote 1

Jims made mistakes, but fewer as we go along and nothing like many GMs. His scouting team he's put together are some of the best. He's managed to actually rebuild the top 6 and the d group actually seems to be on its way. 

Stability at this point makes a ton of sense to me, to bring in a new leadership group now risks changing the culture and theres no benefit to that at all, and a lot of downside if it goes sideways. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Like AJ, I would have preferred to see how the year played out. There's a lot up in the air right now. That being said, I'm not unhappy about the extension.

It would help to know the term though.

not really, Aquilini has shown he'll fire management with lots of term left :lol:

A side thing that occurs to me is this might allow Jim to shake loose some sticking points like moving Loui, signing Boeser, maybe even trading Tanev. Other GMs may have been less than fair on trade ideas if they were thinking Jim was trying to save his job. Don't know how big a factor it would really be, but he's free to think longer term now. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

35 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not really, Aquilini has shown he'll fire management with lots of term left 

True xD

But at some point it starts to add up. I'd rather our owner not have millions of dollars tied up in paying out contracts to people that are no longer here. 

30 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

True xD

But at some point it starts to add up. I'd rather our owner not have millions of dollars tied up in paying out contracts to people that are no longer here. 

I guess, but on the management side it doesn't mean much. Plus the contracts usually have a clause where if another teams hires them the deal is cancelled anyway. Its only guys like Gillis that never get another job that you pay the entire deal. 

• -SN- locked this topic