The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Laine should bolt from WPG and come to VAN

Rate this topic

Wonder if Laine is just spouting off a bit, in an attempt to push the signing?

The name of the link suggests he won't sign, but the article says it's likely he won't sign in time.  Just some bluster, IMO

3 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

Laine not going to sign a deal before training camp

Laine-Petey-Boeser, anyone? Which would give us Miller-Bo-Ferland on the 2nd and then tons of good stuff for the bottom two lines.

Someone tell GMJB to throw Winnipeg a conditional first rounder or two!

If we could clear up some money from two of the three of Sutter, Eriksson, and Baertschi (through trade or some other creative cap-cutting move), we'd probably be able to afford him.

Would you invest in Laine if you were our GM? Why or why not? And if so, how would you go about acquiring him and what assets would you sacrifice to bring him to Vancouver?

Boring summer for ya, hey? Lol

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

Laine not going to sign a deal before training camp

Laine-Petey-Boeser, anyone? Which would give us Miller-Bo-Ferland on the 2nd and then tons of good stuff for the bottom two lines.

Someone tell GMJB to throw Winnipeg a conditional first rounder or two!

If we could clear up some money from two of the three of Sutter, Eriksson, and Baertschi (through trade or some other creative cap-cutting move), we'd probably be able to afford him.

Would you invest in Laine if you were our GM? Why or why not? And if so, how would you go about acquiring him and what assets would you sacrifice to bring him to Vancouver?

If that's all that you think will get it done then no wonder people are going batsh*t crazy about giving one up for Miller.

Also remember when this guy smacked talked us about our gaming rules?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

As of right now, he's just a finisher. He can't carry the play and needs to work on other areas of his game. Def asking for way too much money. Got to remember Scheifele is just a tad over 6 mill, signed when the cap was 73 mill, I'm probably sounding too harsh on a kid that's only been in the league for 3 years.

We won't be able to afford him in terms of cap and assets as we still have Boeser to sign.

11 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

This, plus if we signed him we really would be in cap hell as some have suggested in other topics (relax, we're not). Also, I wouldn't mind seeing a maximum salary for an RFA coming off their ELC in the next CBA. $10 million is a grotesque figure for someone like Laine. That's more like UFA, proved his worth, in the prime of his career kind of $.

Have been pumping those tires for a while now.   The league should have never allowed the McDavid contract - or at least the Eichel one.   McKinnon is the old standard with inflation....would think a cap at 8 would be reasonable and maybe bring down free agency one year.  Also think the NHLPA would vote this in as it’s the 80% getting squeezed the most.    At some point something is going to have to give and think this is just salary escalation all over again this time with a cap which won’t help the on ice product or the dressing room.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Have been pumping those tires for a while now.   The league should have never allowed the McDavid contract - or at least the Eichel one.   McKinnon is the old standard with inflation....would think a cap at 8 would be reasonable and maybe bring down free agency one year.  Also think the NHLPA would vote this in as it’s the 80% getting squeezed the most.    At some point something is going to have to give and think this is just salary escalation all over again this time with a cap which won’t help the on ice product or the dressing room.

The PA will never agree to that because IMO its a pretty ridiculous suggestion. McDavid is carrying that team, he and Draisatl are the only reason one would bother to even turn on an Oilers game. He is also going to drastically outperform his current contract which IMO underpaid him the moment he signed it. Dock him 30% of his salary so that the likes of Lucic Neal can get paid whatever they do is cause for him to just say "&^@# it, just trade me." The same goes for a guy like Eichel, why would he want to stick around in Buffalo? What if I told you, you had to take a paycut to go live in Somalia? 

I would argue that teams already have too much leverage with the way the offer sheet compensation is set up. To me sports is a meritocracy, I understand league economics dictate that the same cannot be reflected in player salaries but the idea of Petey having to take a significant haircut while Eriksson makes 6M just seems like cruel and unusual punishment for the stars that drive this league. 

• Cheers 1

Pass. Laine is going to want an unreasonable caphit and he is the most one-dimensional player I've ever seen. He brings absolutely nothing else to the game beyond goalscoring and his goalscoring is incredibly streaky. He's not the type of player we can afford when we have yet to sign Boeser, and Petey and Quinn are going to need raises in a couple years.

Plus with the Canucks video game ban, I don't think Laine would be too happy here.

Edited by Bitter Melon
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Kragar said:

Wonder if Laine is just spouting off a bit, in an attempt to push the signing?

The name of the link suggests he won't sign, but the article says it's likely he won't sign in time.  Just some bluster, IMO

I almost wonder if he is pushing to be traded.  He isn't very positive about the whole situation and clearly states he will play somewhere - like he is trying to be a problem.  I am thinking all the talk and rumors about issues in Winnipeg with their leadership and locker room have merit.  They have lost a lot of their team already.  

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/cracks-in-the-ice-508921712.html

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Borvat said:

I almost wonder if he is pushing to be traded.  He isn't very positive about the whole situation and clearly states he will play somewhere - like he is trying to be a problem.  I am thinking all the talk and rumors about issues in Winnipeg with their leadership and locker room have merit.  They have lost a lot of their team already.  

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/cracks-in-the-ice-508921712.html

Good article.  I hadn’t heard 15 of the Jets didn’t show up for the final media session.  There is something clearly amiss there.  I wonder if the hard working guys, who sacrifice their bodies night in and night out, are not happy with how some of the younger guys (Laine and Ehlers specifically) play so soft, but get big dollars? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Borvat said:

Well, they do play in Winterpeg B).

Does seem to be some issues there

• Upvote 1