The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Avoid Controversial Topics? Will Dissenting Opinion become Verboten?

Nuxfanabroad

Increasingly feel the 'net is getting an Orwellian-vibe from big Gov oversight. Are we moving to a world where expressing an opinion that runs contrary to officialdom-version, can put a bloke/lass in hot water? It wouldn't surprise me.

How should we all(as posters, & mods) approach this matter, if it does keep gaining momentum? Apologies if these are silly questions, but I would regret a scenario where outside entities try to modify/oversee this website, if it doesn't conform to more stringent web-standards in an increasingly weird, (almost) dystopian era.

Gotta head out for the day, so I thought would just leave this, for any who can share insights. This is such a cool site, I simply don't want it to be altered/meddled with.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

US based sites are covered by both the Constitution and federal law when it comes to free speech.

Commercially run private sites are just that.  Private.  Whoever pays the bills makes the rules.

As for Canadian based sites, they can get a governmental smack-down at any point.  Canada does not have freedom of speech, only freedom of expression.

Edited by SabreFan1

2 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

US based sites are covered by both the Constitution and federal law when it comes to free speech.

Commercially run private sites are just that.  Private.  Whoever pays the bills makes the rules.

As for Canadian based sites, they can get a governmental smack-down at any point.  Canada does not have freedom of speech, only freedom of expression.

& like Michelle Obomber, SF..you have a RIGHT to bare arms..but cover up yer navel, ferGawdsakes!

As for 'freedoms' forgot about all that stuff 24 yrs back, when I got hitched!

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

& like Michelle Obomber, SF..you have a RIGHT to bare arms..but cover up yer navel, ferGawdsakes!

As for 'freedoms' forgot about all that stuff 24 yrs back, when I got hitched!

Which is one of the many reasons why I never did.  My nephew told the family that his g/f is pregnant.  My first thought was, "you poor b*stard, you're now stuck with that chick one way or another for at least 18-21 years".

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

Which is one of the many reasons why I never did.  My nephew told the family that his g/f is pregnant.  My first thought was, "you poor b*stard, you're now stuck with that chick one way or another for at least 18-21 years".

Can be a half-empty/full outlook, & so much can come down to families as well. That said, wouldn't want to be bringing a kid into the world today...

12 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Can be a half-empty/full outlook, & so much can come down to families as well. That said, wouldn't want to be bringing a kid into the world today...

Everybody else was happy for him.  I'm the only one in my family who decided to never have children.

9 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Freedom of expression includes freedom speech (i.e. it's a larger category not a smaller one).  However, even in the US, and anywhere, freedom is never 100%.  For example it is illegal to make a credible death threat even in places that exercise free speech.  Freedom is always necessarily somewhat limited by having to allow others, theirs.  Go Canucks Go!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

You say that like starting a family is a bad thing.

11 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Increasingly feel the 'net is getting an Orwellian-vibe from big Gov oversight. Are we moving to a world where expressing an opinion that runs contrary to officialdom-version, can put a bloke/lass in hot water? It wouldn't surprise me.

If you went on twitter ever you would see this already happening? Have a bad opinion? Well now you have been DOXXed. Your name, address and workplace are posted publicly, people are likely going to call your employer and try to get you fired. You will have people showing up at your door at all hours. Your life is ruined. Because you said that one thing on twitter. That place is a vaccuum of leftist pablum where any contrarian ideas are attacked like a pack of wolves hunting a deer.

I'm not afraid of the government. I'm afraid of the big tech companies they are influencing to spread their propaganda.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Baer. said:

If you went on twitter ever you would see this already happening? Have a bad opinion? Well now you have been DOXXed. Your name, address and workplace are posted publicly, people are likely going to call your employer and try to get you fired. You will have people showing up at your door at all hours. Your life is ruined. Because you said that one thing on twitter. That place is a vaccuum of leftist pablum where any contrarian ideas are attacked like a pack of wolves hunting a deer.

I'm not afraid of the government. I'm afraid of the big tech companies they are influencing to spread their propaganda.

You're not much of a Twitter user, are you?

• Cheers 1

theres more discussion (well typing, not sure how much reading) going on now than ever before. 

The problems happen when people are unmovable, don't want to understand the other person, or get told their idea is wrong or hateful. So basically when someone is talking and the other person has no intention of listening. Big shocker. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

theres more discussion (well typing, not sure how much reading) going on now than ever before. 

The problems happen when people are unmovable, don't want to understand the other person, or get told their idea is wrong or hateful. So basically when someone is talking and the other person has no intention of listening. Big shocker. 

It's like we're being taught that switching sides is wrong, whether morally or strategically. It's better to stick to your guns and go down in flames, than (God forbid) admit a mistake or prior ignorance and learn.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We need to have these discussions, people are now asking the government to regulate speech.  I’m more concerned about increased government control of our society than the odd crazy person and their speech.  The media is falling right into this and refuse to talk about real issues, just political talking points to help bias the population into their ideology.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nux_win said:

Freedom of expression includes freedom speech (i.e. it's a larger category not a smaller one).  However, even in the US, and anywhere, freedom is never 100%.  For example it is illegal to make a credible death threat even in places that exercise free speech.  Freedom is always necessarily somewhat limited by having to allow others, theirs.  Go Canucks Go!

Canada does not have freedom of speech.  Never has never will.  If you think you do then go to Ottawa and step in front of the steps of Parliament and start spouting off what Canada considers hateful speech.  You'll be detained by authorities in no time.  You even have tribunals that can force you, under penalty of fines or more, to apologize for something you're not even sorry that you said.  Whereas in the US, I can stand in front of the White House and say hateful things at the top of my lungs until my voice gives out or someone I insult shoots me (it is DC after all).

Of course you can't yell "fire" in a crowded theatre or threaten violence or death (that's actually assault) even in the US.  Freedoms aren't protected when they impinge on others lives or freedoms.

• Upvote 1