The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Avoid Controversial Topics? Will Dissenting Opinion become Verboten?

Nuxfanabroad

7 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Canada does not have freedom of speech.  Never has never will.  If you think you do then go to Ottawa and step in front of the steps of Parliament and start spouting off what Canada considers hateful speech.  You'll be detained by authorities in no time.  You even have tribunals that can force you, under penalty of fines or more, to apologize for something you're not even sorry that you said.  Whereas in the US, I can stand in front of the White House and say hateful things at the top of my lungs until my voice gives out or someone I insult shoots me (it is DC after all).

Of course you can't yell "fire" in a crowded theatre or threaten violence or death (that's actually assault) even in the US.  Freedoms aren't protected when they impinge on others lives or freedoms.

Well that was kind of my point, namely that freedoms are never absolute.  We Canadians perhaps think a little more deeply about what constitutes "impinging on others' lives or freedoms".  As a Canadian, and an outspoken person in general, I don't feel at all limited in my freedom to speak my mind.  I can and do.  Go Canucks Go!

7 minutes ago, nux_win said:

Well that was kind of my point, namely that freedoms are never absolute.  We Canadians perhaps think a little more deeply about what constitutes "impinging on others' lives or freedoms".  As a Canadian, and an outspoken person in general, I don't feel at all limited in my freedom to speak my mind.  I can and do.  Go Canucks Go!

I'm not saying Canadians will be thrown in jail to rot for life if they speak out against things like LGBTQ community initiatives, but they do risk being dragged in front of a governmental tribunal and risk fines and penalties.

That would never happen in the US because our freedom of speech is iron-clad. 

Now there are times where you want to keep your mouth shut like at a Trump rally or you'll get smacked around and thrown out by a bunch of mouth breathers and Trump's hired security people.  But at least you will never be dragged in front of a governmental board with the power to punish you.

Edited by SabreFan1

34 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I'm not saying Canadians will be thrown in jail to rot for life if they speak out against things like LGBTQ community initiatives, but they do risk being dragged in front of a governmental tribunal and risk fines and penalties.

That would never happen in the US because our freedom of speech is iron-clad. 

Now there are times where you want to keep your mouth shut like at a Trump rally or you'll get smacked around and thrown out by a bunch of mouth breathers and Trump's hired security people.  But at least you will never be dragged in front of a governmental board with the power to punish you.

Thankfully, as much as Trump would love the opposite to be true. 

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Thankfully, as much as Trump would love the opposite to be true. 

Can you imagine if he had the power to punish dissenters?!  He'd do his best to turn the US into a dictatorship. 

Although I'd imagine most career politicians would so it isn't just Trump.  He'd just likely be one of the worst.